Thread: Security alarm slow down the internet!

Thanks

Default Security alarm slow down the internet!

hi everyone,

I am a newbie. I just moved to a new house which have a security alarm. The internet in there is so slow, and I usually lost the internet connection. I even cannot read newspapers sometimes.

I tried to call the internet provider which is Optus. They send a technical staff in and he said it is because it go through the alarm system. So it make my internet terrible slow.

Can anyone have ideas how to fix this problem? I tried to connect the internet line to the modem before it go through the alarm but it does not work. Can i do like that? Because I dont need and use the alarm anyway. (i did put the filter in)

Can anyone please help? I really need internet to study, and stuff!
    Last edited by alex_kt; 10-09-12 at 10:58 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex_kt View Post
    I even cannot read newspapers sometimes
    Downloading too much "stuff" can cause you to go blind.

You need a "Central Splitter" on your phoneline which will ensure all telephony devices (including your alarm) do not interfere with your ADSL connection.

Although you might just be able to disconnect the alarm altogether which may or may not disconnect your other phones, depending how competent the person who installed it was.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

alex_kt (12-09-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

It's sounds as though the ADSL is after the Mode 3. You'll need to get a licensed cabler out to reconfigure your cabling.

You'll need a

Refer to this diagram for wiring schematic.

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

alex_kt (12-09-12)

Thanks

thank you guys! can you also pls tell how much it would cost for install the central filter?
    and do you know any person i can contact? im living in Mel.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Cost would depend on access to your phone lead-in cable and the configuration of your existing phone/alarm cabling.

The reconfiguration could be simple, or more complex, depending how it's been installed previously.

Difficult to say without seeing exactly what you have installed, but ballpark... $150 - $200.

I almost always run a new Cat6 data cable from the ADSL Central Filter/Splitter for the ADSL modem.

Even if you don't use the alarm, an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter will separate the ADSL data from any phones or other devices you have on the line.

They provide the best-possible ADSL connection in your home.

Don't confuse an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter with a line filter on a phone handset cable..... they are entirely different devices.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

alex_kt (16-09-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Cost would depend on access to your phone lead-in cable and the configuration of your existing phone/alarm cabling.

The reconfiguration could be simple, or more complex, depending how it's been installed previously.

Difficult to say without seeing exactly what you have installed, but ballpark... $150 - $200.

I almost always run a new Cat6 data cable from the ADSL Central Filter/Splitter for the ADSL modem.

Even if you don't use the alarm, an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter will separate the ADSL data from any phones or other devices you have on the line.

They provide the best-possible ADSL connection in your home.

Don't confuse an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter with a line filter on a phone handset cable..... they are entirely different devices.
    thank you! btw, is the cost you estimate included the device or just the service?
    thank again!

Administrator
    Thanks

thank you! btw, is the cost you estimate included the device or just the service?
    thank again!
    Both... the device, the installation and a new data outlet... even GST included

alex_kt (18-09-12)

Thanks

thank you! i just found out one more thing, my internet seem to be slow down at night time. in the morning i used the speedtest.net to tested my internet and the download speed was 2.97 Mbps, upload 0.37, ping 37. However, at night time (9:00 pm at the moment) it is download 0.54 , upload 0.25, ping 545.

do you know why is that? I couldnt watch any clip on youtube. actually, we do have more devices connect to the internet (2 more devices) at the time, but i think, i shouldnt be that bad.

thank you!

Administrator
    Thanks

The total available speed of your cennection will be shared between the devices you have connected at any time and how data-intensive they are. Eg: downloading a large file, interactive games, watching video, etc... are all data intensive.

Speeds generally slow down a bit when a lot of people are online using the same ISP.

Then, you have limitations of your ISP.... some ISP's have fairly consistent speeds, regardless of the amount of users, then there are others (often cheaper ISP's) that have less available bandwidth and speed drops are more noticeable when their networks are busy.

The type of plan you have can also impact on speeds, especially if you have multiple devices connected to the net simultaneously.

Any mix of the above can have quite a variation on speeds at various times.

What ISP and plan are you on?
    Last edited by mtv; 18-09-12 at 10:21 PM.

alex_kt (18-09-12)

Thanks

The total available speed of your cennection will be shared between the devices you have connected at any time and how data-intensive they are. Eg: downloading a large file, interactive games, watching video, etc... are all data intensive.

Speeds generally slow down a bit when a lot of people are online using the same ISP.

Then, you have limitations of your ISP.... some ISP's have fairly consistent speeds, regardless of the amount of users, then there are others (often cheaper ISP's) that have less available bandwidth and speed drops are more noticeable when their networks are busy.

The type of plan you have can also impact on speeds, especially if you have multiple devices connected to the net simultaneously.

Any mix of the above can have quite a variation on speeds at various times.

What ISP and plan are you on?
    thank a lot for your explain!
    im going with Optus and i have 120gb with telephone. i believe they said my internet is ADSL 2+.

So i think it should be a lot better than this. because in last 3 months, when they came to set up the internet, they said the alarm will slow down my internet and recommend me call my alarm provider to help which i dont know who. and you also recommend me to put in central filter!
    however, it is still ok at the time. I can download, watching movies, anything at any time at an acceptable speed. the slow down just happen in last 3 weeks.

do you think i should call optus? I call them last time and it didnt help.

also we use Belkin wireless router. is there any thing have to deal with the router?

thank you.
    sorry to asking too many questions!

ps: with the ADSL2+ Central Filter/Splitter. is that i must ask someone have licensed to install? i cannot do it myself?
    Last edited by alex_kt; 18-09-12 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

download speed was 2.97 Mbps, upload 0.37, ping 37. However, at night time (9:00 pm at the moment) it is download 0.54 , upload 0.25, ping 545.
    Have you exceeded your Off-peak usage? Looks like you've been shaped.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

alex_kt (18-09-12),mtv (18-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

ADSL2+ on Optus should be fine (well, a lot better than you have at the moment, anyway).

The first thing I'd recommend you do is isolate that alarm from your ADSL, with an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter, as previously discussed.

That will give you the highest possible speed/quality connection in your home.

The rest will depend on the cabling from the street to the telephone exchange.

Until you ensure your home cabling is correct, Optus (and Telstra) probably won't be interested in helping you further.

Also, if techs come out to check at your request, they will most likely charge for the visit if the problem is your home pone/internet wiring and not their network.

alex_kt (18-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Excellent point.

That will definitely make things very slow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    no! i just use haft of my data both off-peak and normal!

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Just unplug everything. then with just your computer to start with plug everything back in one at a time doing regular speed tests. The main difference between a central fiter & numerous in line flters is the REN. The REN is the "ring equivilancy number" & is basically a measure of the loading on the line. Any more than three in line filters will degrade you speed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

alex_kt (19-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Is your account up to date? Eg: paid your phone & broadband bills?

alex_kt (19-09-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Just unplug everything. then with just your computer to start with plug everything back in one at a time doing regular speed tests. The main difference between a central fiter & numerous in line flters is the REN. The REN is the "ring equivilancy number" & is basically a measure of the loading on the line. Any more than three in line filters will degrade you speed.
    Is your account up to date? Eg: paid your phone & broadband bills?
    thanks watchdog! i will try
    @mtv: yes, everything up to date. i just paid the bills last week!

I just tried to call Optus. They said the internet line to my home is fine, so the problem should be inside my home. So i think i should definitely instal the central filter/spilter. hope it would help!

Thanks

Default Filter ADSL

The best place for the ADSL filter is the entry point to the premises. Split it there, and all devices after are protected from the tones, while the modem has first bite of the signal.
    That should solve all your problems.

Administrator
    Thanks

I just tried to call Optus. They said the internet line to my home is fine, so the problem should be inside my home. So i think i should definitely instal the central filter/spilter. hope it would help!
    I've seen improvement on every single installation I've done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hound-Dog View Post
    The best place for the ADSL filter is the entry point to the premises. Split it there, and all devices after are protected from the tones, while the modem has first bite of the signal.
    Installing a central filter, either at the entry point or at the alarm, is fine in theory. In practice, it's a bit more complicated than that. As my learned friends on this forum all know, the modem/router needs the unfiltered line (i.e. before the filter), while all the other devices hanging off the phone line (phones, fax, alarm etc) need to connect to the filtered output of the central filter (alarm in Mode 3, of course). Unless the alarm and modem/router are next to each other, and the filter is in the same spot, this means that a new phone cable needs to be run from the filter location to the modem/router, to pass the unfiltered ADSL signal to it. An alternative is to loop the spare pair in the existing 2-pair or Cat5/6 phone cables and use that to pass the unfiltered line to the modem/router. All in all, it can become a bit messy unless you know exactly what you are doing. Best to use a licenced (and hopefully experienced!) cabling contractor to sort everything out.