Thread: Remove Phone line to NESS D8?

Thanks

Question Remove Phone line to NESS D8?

I'm been having issues for 2 weeks with my Internet connection (authentication drops) randonly disconnecting.
    Logged a call with Telstra to fix the noise and they closed the call the day the techie arrived. Can't hear scratchy noise now but still having issues!

Now trying to do isolation test with the only device left attached is the NESS D8 alarm.
    What I don't understand is the line (in/out?) appears to be connected to the "STR" and "SIREN" pins. Wires are;

Black -> STR
    Red -> STR+

Blue ->SIREN
    White ->SIREN+

The RJ-45 socket goes to another similar cable of course.

Taking out the RJ-45 connector or bridging the two cables, I lose the phone connection.
    What's going on? I've missed something really obvious??

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Sounds like you are confusing phone line and alarm cabling, although you may have an issue as well.

Firstly, if you were licensed, you would know what was what.

If you're not licensed, you shouldn't be messing with either the phone or alarm cabling and/or connections.

If you have ADSL, you should be using an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter to separate your broadband signals from the phone/alarm before the line goes to the alarm.

Thanks

Of course, I didn't install any of this. Ness resealer techies did it. There is definitely a cable that looks exactly like a phone line cable going into the alarm system. Only other thing it could be is that the installers used phone cable for the strobe & siren. (Most likely!)

It's not because I'm unlicensed that I find the wiring confusing. I just don't know how the Ness techies connected/routed the points and also because of a lack of/poor documentation of the alarm. Either way, I need to disconnect the alarm from the line if it's causing problems.
    What else can I do?
    I do have ADSL but I don't believe there is a filter before the alarm. Yet it's been working for years.
    The only phone in the house does have a filter though.

Administrator
    Thanks

It's very common to find phone cable used on alarms, which is why I suggested the confusion.

The filter on your phone only filters the data noise on the phone, it does not isolate your phone, alarm and ADSL.

The alarm must have filtering before it.

It should also be configured in mode 3... so it has priority over the phone line.

It's possible it's just been getting by in the past and changes in the ADSL frequencies on your line may have upset it in more recent times.

Every alarm that shares a line with ADSL should have an ADSL Central Filter/Splitter installed.

The problem you describe is very common and usually solved with an ADSL central filter/splitter.

Naturally, if there are other cabling faults, they can cause interference as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lamaface View Post
    The RJ-45 socket goes to another similar cable of course.

Taking out the RJ-45 connector or bridging the two cables, I lose the phone connection.
    What's going on? I've missed something really obvious??
    Pay for a tech, let him sought it out, he will know what it is. Most likely he will have the parts to fix it also.

At least that way if something does go wrong you can call him back, try calling yourself back when it does not work.

Worst case you stuff up the siren / strobe with the phone cabling and make a mess of more than just your house and as you are not a license cabler would be in a lot more trouble with the telco and regulator.

Thanks

Thumbs up Solved

OK, determined the wiring is 2-Pair on the 610 connector. Then comes the 605 to RJ type -> Alarm.
    Just needed to bridge RED - GREEN and BLACK - YELLOW using a RJ-45 type wall plug.
    Ugly but does the job for temporary testing. Everything else is untouched.
    Yes, I know, I'd rather leave this stuff alone but bugger me if I'm going to pay someone $120+ to do this for me.

P.S.
    is a very useful doc I found on another forum.

Administrator
    Thanks

...I'd rather leave this stuff alone but bugger me if I'm going to pay someone $120+ to do this for me.
    Rather a cheap option.... if you get caught, the fine is up to $15,000.00

Plus compensation if you cause any damage/disruption to carrier networks.

Thanks

Thanks "mtv" and "xr5adam" for your comments and suggestions.
    If there is a central filter/splitter I can't see where it was installed! I cannot remember what those alarm guys put in so many years ago. Can't even remember if it was before or after ADSL.

If things still causing problems then yes, will either call a tech or try Telstra again. This all started coincidently when there was a lot of rain during one particular day, hence my first thought was the line outside. We've had corroded phone lines 4 or 5 times like this previously.
    Perhaps the Telstra guy was too quick to close the call.

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks "mtv" and "xr5adam" for your comments and suggestions.
    If there is a central filter/splitter I can't see where it was installed! I cannot remember what those alarm guys put in so many years ago. Can't even remember if it was before or after ADSL.

If things still causing problems then yes, will either call a tech or try Telstra again. This all started coincidently when there was a lot of rain during one particular day, hence my first thought was the line outside. We've had corroded phone lines 4 or 5 times like this previously.
    Perhaps the Telstra guy was too quick to close the call.
    An ADSL central filter splitter will be on the lead-in, before any device on the line.

Yes, water in joints or high-resistance joints wreak havoc on data over copper.

If you can hear crackling on the phone and you also have internet connection/speed problems, it's usually a line fault.

If that's the case, here's a tip... ALWAYS report it as a line fault, because if you report it as a broadband problem, it won't get fixed as fast as if you report it as a line fault on your phone.

Bigpond and Telstra lines techs are different departments and they don't communicate with each other very well.... especially when you have a mindless drone taking your call in Manila.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Rather a cheap option.... if you get caught, the fine is up to $15,000.00

Plus compensation if you cause any damage/disruption to carrier networks.
    Well then Telstra should be very interested in fining the person(s) that wired my phone line from the "pit" to my house. A Telstra tech once told me; "who ever did that job, it's completely illegal". Apparently tubing/piping is crushed if I remember correctly, and water seeps in. No wonder I've had water issues so many times?
    Let's be realistic also, I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for putting a DIY phone socket in.
    I was also a computer techie for 7 years and I know people were using modems that were not technically legal to connect in Australia. God knows what those cheap nasty modems were doing.
    Last edited by lamaface; 16-09-12 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks

An ADSL central filter splitter will be on the lead-in, before any device on the line.

Yes, water in joints or high-resistance joints wreak havoc on data over copper.

If you can hear crackling on the phone and you also have internet connection/speed problems, it's usually a line fault.

If that's the case, here's a tip... ALWAYS report it as a line fault, because if you report it as a broadband problem, it won't get fixed as fast as if you report it as a line fault on your phone.
    Yep, there was crackling on the line before I logged a line fault. Now I can't hear it but the drops are so random, it still could be noise, I just can't catch it on the phone line.
    Will definitely log a line fault!
    Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks

The underground lead-in is flooded with a gel, so even if there's water in the conduit, or the pit, it won't be affected.

The joints themselves are initially waterproof, but the gel can dry out over time and if they become submerged, water gets into them.

Let's be realistc?... just because you haven't heard of people being prosecuted for illegal cabling doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

I personally know of some cases where network damage was caused by people doing DIY socket installations.

One where a carrier employee was badly injured by an electric shock whilst working on equipment because someone had punched a nail through their DIY phone cabling into a mains power cable.

The cabling regulations are primarily there to ensure safety.

If you choose to think 'It won't happen to me' that's up to you.

Thanks

mtv,

There are always some pretty stupid people putting nails through cables etc. Considering the millions of possibilities every year all over Australia for disaster like the ones you mentioned, a very small number of these DIY jobs have trouble.
    I should make it clear that I am far from reckless when it comes to this sort of thing. Of course laws are there to protect and I couldn't agree more with them actually.
    Now tell me what are people to think if anyone can go buy a phone plug kit, wall cabling, etc from DSE? No law against it, nothing stopping anyone, no warning on the packet? Instructions? great! How many home builders, renovators have done this? Must be in the millions.
    Really, no one is going to be hunting me down with a chopper and search light.
    Reason -> I'm not an idiot, it's only 4 wires.
    The other side of the coin one has to consider, is the shoddy and potentially dangerous work that some techies have done that are just as serious as the illegal wall sockets. Case in point, the work that was so shocking, even a Telstra tech said was completely illegal. Why would it be illegal? Because it might be a danger to someone perhaps?

Photocopy anything lately? Lawyers break the law literally all the time doing this. (My lawyer brother told me this). If they or students or most people stoppped, the world would come to a halt.
    No lives at risk here but life goes on and people will do as they please for ever and a day no matter what stupid things they do and what laws they break.

Administrator
    Thanks

The people who have accidentally caused problems, damage and injury, also probably thought they were as smart as you think you are too.

Quote Originally Posted by lamaface
    Of course laws are there to protect and I couldn't agree more with them actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by lamaface
    I'd rather leave this stuff alone but bugger me if I'm going to pay someone $120+ to do this for me.
    Somewhat of a contradiction there.

You know the law and the penalties in regard to unlicensed cabling.

What you do is up to you.

Thanks

The people who have accidentally caused problems, damage and injury, also probably thought they were as smart as you think you are too.

You know the law and the penalties in regard to unlicensed cabling.

What you do is up to you.

No, they are probably the same people who speed past me at 150km/h in an 80 zone or 80 past my house. Or the drunk idiot who ploughed into my neighbours house.(By the way, the Police lied about this "incident"). Or maybe it's the resident two doors down from me that has black plastic covering all the windows. Having trouble sleeping huh? Yeah, I believe you neighbour.
    They are also the people who were supposedly trained to install household wiring from a pit correctly. Putting a nail through the mains? Good grief!
    These examples are typically extreme and careless like most disasters and accidents.
    And by the way, I am quite smart and cautious.

Somewhat of a contradiction there.
    What contradiction? A phone plug for $120+? Look around the island of Australia it's a guarantee most people don't pay for it. Necessity, poverty and also lack of confidence in tradies bring people here not just me. Had one fool almost cause a house fire because he managed to wedge in a wrong part in my fridge.

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, if you're as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't need to be asking for advice on this forum.

I gave you accurate, factual advice.... for free.

You've chosen to ignore it.

End of story.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

sirporky (17-09-12)

Thanks

Well, if you're as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't need to be asking for advice on this forum.

I gave you accurate, factual advice.... for free.

You've chosen to ignore it.

End of story.
    No just cautious as I said.
    I assume you mean I ignored yor warnings about messing with phone cables?
    Yep, I'll continue like millions of people, millions of times to flout the law in my own home to install a phone plug. Good luck to the idiots who use nailguns on power lines.

Managed to fix my own problem. Even the smartest of people need advice, it's called "learning". Anyway it has less to do with intelligence than it does with (my) attitude.
    Speaking of ignoring things, I've mentioned 3 times the illegal job the telco did installing my line that they are legaly responsible for. I repeat, they need to sue themselves pronto for putting people at risk! Yet you're not so quick to shout that. Instead you talk to me about Gel. The Gel doesn't matter, illegal work does which was your point.
    Boy, will I have fun if it turns out it's someone's crappy job.

Finaly;
    You are over reacting to me connecting 2 pairs of wires together.