Thread: Reliance R128 with ComNav on fibre

Thanks

Default Reliance R128 with ComNav on fibre

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully commissioned one of these systems connecting to the NBN network via the NTD? Either with the ComNav module(SMS reporting) or without using the ringing out to mobile feature.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Nope - no sign of NBN anywhere near here!
    However a little off the OP, both SMS and dialing in/out to ComNav worked for me with Optus Cable (Cisco Router providing VOIP Phone port.) had to use the My Alarm Communication service as Optus link to the Telstra SMS Gateway was cut off.

Thanks

In theory no digital dialler (on the panel) should work through an NTD. The ComNav can email through it's Ethernet port (connect to the LAN), but the SMS and Voice Dialling is done through the dialler on the panel. You may find that the dialler will work through a VoIP device, but much like a fax machine, this is not technically meant to work and may be unreliable.

Thanks

I can confirm comnav works a treat on the NBN through the UNi-V port. Voice, sms, remote access. The whole shebang!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ubadoob View Post
    I can confirm comnav works a treat on the NBN through the UNi-V port. Voice, sms, remote access. The whole shebang!
    Pleases guide me on how you have done this, I have the issue where I only have nbn fiber and voip I would love to get sms working!!

Thanks

Thanks

People who want to monitor an alarm themself e.g. via SMS are only setting themselves up for a costly failure.

However for the benefit of people who are serious about monitoring their security and might get the wrong idea based on comments here, let me amplify Jadmacrae's comment above.

Traditional monitoring over the NBN e.g. via the costly UNI-V port (now discontinued) may work. However it is unreliable at best. It's a bit like getting your car to run on the wrong fuel. It probably will work, for a while. So you won't give it much thought. Then you'll find yourself on the highway one day, in the rain when it decides to fail.

If reliability matters (as it should) look to IP monitoring rather than a jury-rig system trying to get old analogue technology working over the NBN.

We've been seeing these issues for several years were customers changed over to a VOIP service (and often didn't realise it, e.g. an Optus telco connection). Their panel would report some days, miss a signal or two and then start reporting again.