Thread: Mobile Internet Dongle not connecting

Thanks

Default Mobile Internet Dongle not connecting

I am in Italy at the moment and trying to use a TIM pre paid USB Wireless Internet Dongle. I was here in March and it worked just fine but she's no go this time around. I uninstalled it back in Oz and continued to use an Optus Dongle with no issues. I uninstalled the Optus dongle software as a precaution against possible conflicts.

The error message I get is: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.

A google search leads me to believe that it has something to do with either Port Forwarding or a setting in the DHCP. I'm pretty sure it is something simple.
    An IP address maybe but I am not sure. I get the feeling this problem is a little more common that I first thought but I can not find any definitive resolution.

Oh, I have already contacted TIM over here and they were about as usefull as an ashtray on a skateboard. They do confirm that the data sim is registered on the network, is active and loaded with credit to go. I have used another persons USB dongle with the same error. It is definitely a setting on my notebook.

Ideas anyone??

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Assuming TIM uses the same frequency band as Optus (2100 and 900) as it used to work you need to confirm with TIM their APN and make sure it is entered exactly as they say. You might need to use your dongle configuration utility and edit profile in order to change it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

leniboy (02-11-12)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I had to "fix" a wireless dongle not long back, by manually removing all references to it in the registry and then re-installing it. A simple uninstall did nothing, nor did a new dongle. Mucking around with the settings still would not let me in until I actually opened regedit and started searching and deleting all references to the device. A WORD OF WARNING...Edit the registry at your own risk, ENSURE you have a current backup and are happy enough to blow everything away and start anew if it all goes pear shaped.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

leniboy (02-11-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Is there any chance you could do a System restore on your PC, to about the last time period it did work...?
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

leniboy (02-11-12)