Thread: My network has gone crazy as well, what's going on - Help is needed

Thanks

Question My network has gone crazy as well, what's going on - Help is needed

I have no idea what has caused the problem (I actually suspect what caused it just don't see how).
    I suspect the problem started few days ago after I upgraded my Media Portal to the latest 1.2.3 version. I use MP to watch subscription IPTV service streamed from Canada for the last 3-4 years.
    The problem is very weird and I don't know how to troubleshoot it apart from completely removing Media Portal and reinstalling it. But before trying that I would like to understand what caused the problem and hopefully something simple can be manually adjusted to fix the problem.
    Problem: As soon as I start Media Portal IPTV plugin, my entire network shuts down:
    a. All PCs loose not only Internet connectivity but LAN as well;
    b. My Netgear router becomes inaccessible. Can't ping to it at all.
    The only way to restore it is to turn off my Media Portal so it doesn't try to use network and power cycle the router.
    Things I tried so far:
    1. My Media Portal is using EOP device. Removed the device and installed a wirelless USB dongle. Connected to my network, internet is fine. As soon as started my IPTV plugin in the Media Portal - network is down.
    2. Connected back the EOP module and started IPTV via Internet Explorer - No problems. Network is happy and IPTV is working fine.
    I realise everything is pointing to the corrupted Media Portal installation but it worked for about two days after the upgrade before the problem started.
    So I am after some help and suggestions as I am out of ideas.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I am not familiar with Media Portal. But are you able to downgrade to the older firmware? This may at least confirm that it was the upgrade that caused the problem. Also, is there any mention on the media portal site or forums of problems with that particular firmware upgrade? Those would be my first steps. Next, what happens if you cleanly reboot without EOP module, then start EOP module and start iptv from Internet Explorer. Do you get another 2 days before failure?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    Next, what happens if you cleanly reboot without EOP module, then start EOP module and start iptv from Internet Explorer. Do you get another 2 days before failure?
    Do you suggest to restart without LAN connected first and then connect the LAN and try? If yes, I've done it already - no joy there.
    MediaPortal forum doesn't have any simillar problems listed (or I couldn't find any).
    If I can't find any explanations for the problem my plan of attack will be to remove the MediaPortal completely and reinstall the same latest version. If that doesn't work I will downgrade to the previous one.
    I forgot to mention, I have the same MediaPortal version installed on another PC and it works there without any problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Ok. From my experience it sounds like you are going about things the right way. Best of luck.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

fromaron (05-11-12)