Thread: Doing SMS notifications on the Solution 16? (NOT plus)

Thanks

Default Doing SMS notifications on the Solution 16? (NOT plus)

Hi Folks,

We've just shifted into a new building which came with a Solution 16. Boss saw it as part of the comms infrastructure, so yours truly got to sort it out while pulling the rest of our comms cabling.. I've removed the sensors and keypads leading to other floors which we didn't buy, and programmed it up for our own staff access codes, etc. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do for alerting if the alarm goes off.. Our other offices, the alarms SMS two staff members, but they have MUCH newer alarm systems! Google is helping me out with 16plus configs, but not 16. I've set it up for PET/SMS notifications, but not quite sure how to test that it's actually working (Note: we only have an optus landline at this office (we have 50mbps of EFM lines for voip though ), so i'm using the 13450641 bosch gateway)

Am I barking up the completely wrong tree here, will this unit do what I want? Or should I look at getting a newer unit? (Something which can simply send SNMP traps to our existing monitoring system would be FREAKING SWEET - and let us use our existing internal escalation processes etc. - also means if someone in .au is sound asleep, someone in the UK or IE can answer the page, check security cams, and call the police, etc..)

Cheers,

DG
    VK2TDG

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There are some philosophical issues if a business would invest in wide area ethernet but not spend a cent on security hardware or decent monitoring and response.
    The technology isn't your problem. You obviously get it. What you need to think about, is contingency planning. That is, 'what happens' when something goes wrong.
    Yes, you could get your UK mates to receive notifications easily enough. Then what? They're going to ring Scotland Yard? Perhaps call +61 000 and hope someone answers?

I can tell you how to put in a decent IP monitoring system and get rid of the landline. Will cost the same and you can actually sleep at night.

Thanks

you need a modem module that plugs on to the board for sms to work

Thanks

No business problems here.. More that my only contact with security & monitoring companies in the past was a certain company in Canberra who left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. 10-year lock-in contracts, very inept staff, basically more trouble than they were worth. And it turned out all three of our breakins were their own security patrolmen making some cash on the side.

Had a chat to the guys who monitor our other sites, and they are happy to take on monitoring of this site *without* taking 'control' of the alarm system, so that'll do us We're also in discussions about handing control of the other systems over to the IT department also.. Quite nice guys! We'll probably still replace the system here in the next 12 months with something more IP-capable.. I'm going to play with the serial port on the unit for some fun open/close time stats and out-of-hours alerting into OpManager, but things look like they're sorted as far as alarm monitoring goes..

Re comments about expenditure priorities, There's nothing in this office we couldn't replace same-day from suppliers, in the event of a burglary. All data is encrypted (passwords required on console of the storage servers at boot time), no data is stored on workstations, all profiles live on the servers, etc, and all server images are backed up to our other sites every night, and databases synced to all offices every hour. The most painful part would be the 20 minute drive to the call centre with the new storage servers to sync them off the backup pool there, then drive back and bring everything back online.. Yes, we've thought this stuff through
    VK2TDG

Thanks

Canberra's a small town. Hands up everyone who knows exactly which company he's talking about?

It always frustrates me when we are judged by the standards of others, e.g. "I don't want an alarm because they always go off and we get phone calls in the middle of the night", because it wasn't properly designed and installed in the first place and the lousy ungraded monitoring centre didn't have any procedures or training.

Some Canberra security scammers were previously hauled before the ACCC for charging customers to reprogram their alarm systems to send daily test signas

Regarding remote controls, we're giving people iPhone/iPad/Android access to their system for arm/disarm and log checking etc. The other neato feature is controlling programmable outputs such that you can remotely open doors (great for home deliveries) or cycle power distribution units from off-site (hello server rooms).