Thread: Solution 16+ wireless sensors in a colourbond shed, panel in the house.

Thanks

Default Solution 16+ wireless sensors in a colourbond shed, panel in the house.

Hi. I've had a look around and haven't seen anything on how well the wireless sensors will work in practice from a colourbond shed to house.

I have been asked by my sister to install an alarm for her and the solution 16+ the same as I have installed will work well. I haven't used wireless sensors before and want to know how the colourbond shed will knock around the signal. We are going wired for the house and want to add a wireless zone to the shed for added security.

I could trench out to the shed but would prefer not to in summer if the wireless PIRs will work. Distance is about 30m from the alarm panel. I'm just looking for some advise before I buy the wireless kit and find it doesn't suit for this set up.

Any advise is appreciated.

speersie.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Wireless is always risky with metal around.What you could do is get a standard PIR & local power supply then wire it to a single channel transmitter with remote antenna. I have often used the Elsema FMT/FMR15101. Runs at 151Mhz @ 100mW & good for about 5km. The transmitter & receiver will only cost slightly more than the Bosch receiver & w/less PIR0

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

speersie (20-11-12)

Thanks

Cough...Supervision.

Thanks

For what it's worth, whilst not exactly the same as the OP's setup, I've got my colourbond shed as a separate area hanging off a Sol 16+ but connected via cable (input + output + PSU). Where it's a similar arrangement is that I don't have a keypad in the shed but I do use wireless remotes to arm/disarm that area, from that area.

The RF receiver is in the house near the panel and the shed doesn't have line of sight to it (2 doors between them). Distance to the shed is about 20m. In order for the signal from the remotes to be received I have to be outside of the shed. Whilst testing, the signal strength was, from memory, 'average'. Can't remember the age of the batteries in the remote. Not sure if the wireless PIRs are stronger.

Personally I usually consider large metal structures to interfere enough that they create doubt as to the quality and reliability of the signal. And "if there's doubt, there is no doubt".

I'd get a ditch witch and also lay some extra cables, for various purposes.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Cough...Supervision.
    Damn you Dan , as soon as I pressed the post button I thought of you. The few places I done this I used the sensor watch facility to do an ad hoc supervision . I know it aint the best but it's probably as good as the supervision of a hardwired PIR for correct operation. People simply don't test their systems & I've actually found one that had all the PIRs upside down since installation 3 yrs prior.

Thanks

The problem you'll have with that approach is that sensor watch timer only works when the system is disarmed.

On the other hand.... It's only a shed!

I've found the Bosch wireless to be very good over distance and there's a built-in unexciting signal strength meter (poor/average/good) so it's easy enough to suck it and see. However failing that I'd look to wireless repeaters and other good stuff. Elsema has always been good for driving outputs, controlling doors etc. Never much cared for unsupervised burg detection though. But.... It's only a shed....

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

speersie (20-11-12)

Thanks

Then again, to hire a trencher for a day is not that expensive or just dig it by hand.

You can alway install the receiver in a location much closer to your shed to improve your reception.

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback. I'm guessing the extra work running cables will pay off. I was looking for the easier option because I live 5 hours away and was looking to knock it over in the shortest time but that being said I also need it to be hassle free when I leave. Nothing is meant to be easy. Time to get the brother in law on the shovel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bet2win View Post
    Then again, to hire a trencher for a day is not that expensive or just dig it by hand.

You can alway install the receiver in a location much closer to your shed to improve your reception.
    Yeah the figure of 30m was prob higher than it will be but she wants to arm the shed when her husband is away and at night with break ins in the area and no one wants to be dragged out of bed waking the kids by a false alarm.

Thanks

put on a bbq for some of your mates and you will be suprised how quickly you can get the trenching done with some extra hands especially if you turn it into a digging competition.
    Just go wired, don't waste your time going wireless, and while your at it, put a couple of extra cables into the conduit at the same time for future proofing or adding additional gear.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bss904 For This Useful Post:

speersie (22-11-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speersie View Post
    Yeah the figure of 30m was prob higher than it will be but she wants to arm the shed when her husband is away and at night with break ins in the area and no one wants to be dragged out of bed waking the kids by a false alarm.
    Run that wire bloke!
    Failing that I have had best results with Inovonics equipment. Supervised and very good quality.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Kneebo For This Useful Post:

speersie (22-11-12)