Thread: how to choose my router??

Thanks

Default how to choose my router??

hello!

i have a Telstra cable 100mbit connection, and usually get close to full speeds. I am using a CG3100 as my modem.

I have bridged this with a 7800N which performs my routing.

My 7800N is starting to fatigue and is exhibiting unusual behaviour. not unexpected, ive had it a while and its been on 24/7 (with regular power cycles, etc), it has served me wel, but now i need an upgrade!

I need a few suggestions on replacement routers, ive had a look at the Fritz 7930 and the Draytek 2830VN+ but am not really sure which to go with, or if something else better suits my requirements:

gigabit LAN
    gigabit EWAN (bandwidth to handle the cable connection)
    dual band WiFi
    Ability to add better antennas as some portions of the house have low WiFi reception (or relative ease in adding a repeater) – desirable

an OS on the router which is relatively flexible to allow static and DHCP assigned IPs (from the router)
    High configurability without things "dumbed down" too much
    QoS
    Bandwidth Monitoring – desirable, but can do without

Router will be handling the following traffic:
    Video streaming from PC and occasionally NAS to a variety of wired/wireless devices
    File sharing from NAS and PC to variety of different devices
    Channel BT
    Online gaming via PS3 and PC
    Internet TV\Radio to TV\Stereo
    General internet browsing

Can anyone help me out with this choice?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Why not another 7800N?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    Why not another 7800N?
    OP needs a Gigabit WAN port which is understandable.
    There are few options available. I guess it is matter of greater performance coupled with reliability. A router with hardware NAT is very important this days so include the point into your check list.
    I have the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 which works fine for me. Tests done for the WAN bandwidth show pretty good results. Can't comment on it's reliability as it is reasonably new model. People also complain about it's wireless compatibility with iToys and the signal strength, even though I couldn't fault it yet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

peterpual (27-11-12)

Thanks

Have you tried troubleshooting your 7800n? they are a top router. I would update your 7800n firmware and then reset the router to factory defaults, power cycle and reconfigure. This will most likely be your problem. I can't think of many good routers to upgrade your 7800n with. I own a 7800n, it's my modem/router with two switches, three NAS boxes and 9 devices connected to it excluding mob phones. It has not let me down or had any issues over the last 18 months.

Things to also consider is your wireless range, if you don't require a large wireless area choose a router with smaller or inbuilt aerials but if you require a larger wireless range go with ext aerials.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I changed the supplied 'Rubber Ducky' that came with my Netcomm to one I got with a magnetic base and that seems to have improved contact with a Tablet and I am waiting on another 'Rubby Ducky' type to arrive that apparently comes apart to give different db gains per section.
    All together the maker claims its a 9db but like all claims it depends on what scale is used as many are overoptimistic.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

ok well rule out the fritz 7390. it does not have an adjustable QoS. No antenna/s to replace externally. you can static assign but all i did was allowed dhcp and then fixed the assigned in the modem.
    If i had of known about the lack of QoS when i was looking i probably would have steered clear. With that said the fritz box has not missed a beat since i installed it and would recommend it to almost anyone.
    I have heard that there will be an update coming that will incorporate QoS into it so fingers crossed.

Thanks

right, there are no point that getting some thing more expensive and not doing the work, and i recon the TL-WDR3600 will be an other option for you

• The Following User Says Thank You to steveneoi For This Useful Post:

peterpual (27-11-12)