Thread: Dedicated 4G Router Suggestions

Thanks

Default Dedicated 4G Router Suggestions

Hi all,
    I am after some info/recommendations for a dedicated 4G router. And not one of those ones that you stick in the already pretty useless USB modems. I am chasing one that the Data Sim can be put straight into it. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I've been using SIM card enabled modems for a while now.
    Seems the industry has more headed in the direction of ADSL Modems that also support a USB dongle style modem.... than the SIM card itself.

So i'd be looking in that area.

You can purchase unlocked 4 port modems that take a SIM card, have WiFi etc.... Not sure how many are 4G though.
    So from my research a while ago, seemed easier to buy a good ADSL modem from Draytek or alike, that supports whatever USB 4G modem you have.

I expected a surge in SIM card direct modems, but it doesn't seem to be the way most manufactures have gone.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

montessa (20-12-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Especially with the amount of cheap deals, not just on the Optus network now either. Kogan is offering unlimited call and text with 6 gig of data for $29 on Telstras 3G network

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (21-12-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

There also might be a small advantage in that you can use a USB lead to position the 4G Modem in perhaps a better location, while your 4port wifi router was tucked away.

Thats a brilliant deal from Kogan. Although i see it states "Using PART of Telstras Mobile Network"....... Mmmmm which part?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-12-12 at 10:49 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There are 2 things I would check with any router/SIM/Dongle is firstly are you actually in a 4G area as according to the advertising, only works within a few hundred yards of the CBD where ever that is and compatibility.
    I have no idea about SIMs but I started with a Telstra Turbo and bought a Netcomm WiFi router and it worked great but I wanted more data and one plan suited me so I changed to it which used a different dongle BUT the damn thing was incompatible with the router.
    I had problems getting the 2 units to connect but Netcomm did a 'Remote' and that got me up and running.
    I dont think that kind of problem would be an issue with a SIM card but its worth checking out.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!