Thread: Solution 862 Alarm goes off when not armed

Thanks

Default Solution 862 Alarm goes off when not armed

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a very merry and safe christmas,

i have a bit of a problem last night at about 1.30am my solution 862 alarm triggered and it wasnt even armed as we were home. Zone 8 Alarm was flashing and I am not too sure if this is a system fault or a 24hr zone that is having issues I have looked through the manuals and cant seem to work this out. Is there anyone that can help me with this. I hadnt used the alarm in years as this happened twice before so I disconnected the battery and power and left it for for the past 4 years, when my ex moved out I started using it and it has been ok since november but as I mentioned it triggered last night.

I have replaced the batter in November so cant be a batter fault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I dont think my neighbours will be happy if this keeps happening.

Thanks
    ikhan42

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Zones 7 and 8 on an 862 panel can only be programmed as "24-hour" type zones, hence why the alarm triggered without being armed. You need to work out what is connected to zone 8. It will most likely be the panel tamper and/or the siren cover tamper switches. My guess is the siren tamper. The best solution is to call a licensed alarm technician out and have them change the siren tamper switch, as it is probably the old "plunger-style" switch, which is known to cause problems after a few years. Make sure they change it to a "reed-style" switch, which is much more reliable.

If you call someone out and they recommend to disconnect the tamper switch without changing it, thank them and send them on their way (your choice if you pay them or not) - I don't see the point in lowering your security level when the problem can be easily fixed.

Thanks

Zones 7 and 8 on that panel are 24hr zones. If the fault light isn't illuminated then your latter assumption is correct.

Thanks

Oh snap!

Actually, if you're getting a tech out you've already paid for a service call. Add a few hundred bucks and get a whole new panel with added newness.

Thanks

Do you know whats on zone 8? Quite often installers will put the external siren box tamper on the last zone, which in the case of an 862 is zone 8. Are you near salt air? If so maybe the siren box tamper switch needs to be replaced. Quite common on the coast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thistlewedge View Post
    Do you know whats on zone 8? Quite often installers will put the external siren box tamper on the last zone, which in the case of an 862 is zone 8. Are you near salt air? If so maybe the siren box tamper switch needs to be replaced. Quite common on the coast.
    Oops... someones already replied.... ignore me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thistlewedge View Post
    Thank all for the reply.

No I'm no where near salt air and it looks like a zone issue as the 8 light has been flashing since indicating the zone is unsealed. I will open up the panel and see where the wire is going. If it's the siren box which Is what I am assuming it is then I will replace it myself, I have done some work on this alarm panel as it stopped working years ago after a lightning storm that killed the key pad.

Will Suss it out tomorrow and tell you guys what I find.

Thanks again.
    Ikhan42

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikhan42 View Post
    No I'm no where near salt air and it looks like a zone issue as the 8 light has been flashing since indicating the zone is unsealed. Ikhan42
    Though it's far more frequent on the coast it could definitely still be a siren box tamper switch especially if the installer didn't solder and protect the connections with something like heat shrink, etc. The fact that your zone 8 light is still flashing could be a result of alarm memory, have you reset? Can someone else chime in here and tell us if a 24hr zone on an 862 will automatically reset on the codepad after the zone is sealed or will it continue to flash until reset with a user code?

Either way, whatever is connected to your zone 8 is what caused your alarm. If it's not a smoke detector, it's most likely gonna be a siren tamper switch.

Thanks

On the Solution panels, where there is an alarm in memory, the corresponding LED will continue to flash until the next time you arm the system.

Thanks

Hi all,

Happy new year everyone

Just wanted to ask an opinion and a question.

Opinion first. I was thinking about using a mercury switch to replace the tamper switch on the siren, is this a good idea?

Now the question. What ever type of switch I look at using should it be no or nc?

Thanks
    Ikhan42

Banned
    Thanks

Answer to opinion first - Yes you could but why. The reed & magnet type will be reliable.
    Answer to question - normally it is a NC

Thanks

Ok guys a bit of an update I actually had time so I opened the panel zone 8 is the tamper switch on the actual panel box. This is a leaf switch I am guessing these switches done have a no/ nc state can anyone tell me if this assumption s true and also where can I buy leaf switches I had a look at my local jay car and they done have any.

Thanks
    Ikhan42

Thanks

Hmm... you'd probably only get one from a security wholesaler that sells those panels. But - it's unusual that those switches would go faulty. So I'd suggest you just ensure the contacts on the switch are clean and that the connection is solid where it connects to the main board. Chances are it's a one off and after ensuring those contacts on the switch are clean and making good contact when the cover is closed (switch goes from open to closed when the cover is closed) you'll probably have no further false alarms. Oh yeah, if you think the switch might not be making a firm contact with the cover closed, you can bend the back 'leaf' forward a bit, but only enough to ensure the switch is still in an open state with the cover off (in tamper). And, are you sure the external siren tamper is not on the same circuit? Sometimes the control panel tamper switch and the siren tamper are connected in series and connected into the same zone. Not sure from memory if the 862 also might have a plunger type tamper switch in the back of the panel... maybe someone else can answer that?

Thanks

I get calls from time to time (maybe once every 6 months) where this style of panel tamper on the Solution panels goes into alarm, for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure it's either that the switch "leaves" lose their tension, or the resistance of the contacts momentarily changes enough so that the zone loop resistance drifts out of tolerance (remembering that a small current passes continuously through the switch). Don't bother trying to sand or file the contacts - the best remedy is to replace the switch with a suitable reed-magnet plunger style switch and bracket. Also, as Thistlewedge mentioned, check if the siren cover tamper is wired in series on this zone.

It's worth noting that Bosch no longer supply this "leaf" style of tamper switch with their panel housings. They now supply a separate reed-magnet plunger-style switch and bracket. One benefit of this setup is that it now provides tamper indication of both the front and rear of the housing - something that the previous tamper switch didn't do.