Thread: Idea for a GSM dialler for Solution 862

Thanks

Default Idea for a GSM dialler for Solution 862

I don't have a landline based phone (only Naked DSL these days) and want to use a dialler with my system so am considering using a GSM dialler. Dodo and Optus had these boxes that enable you to use your normal landline based handset with a GSM based phone connection. Optus call it wireless home phone and Dodo have something called a Pendo box. I could install one of these boxes inside my alarm control box and connect the normal PSTN plug and dial out that way. For power ideally I could use the 12v output from the alarm box into the GSM box or as a worst case connect the box up to the mains using the wall adaptor. OK I know that won't be good enough to the professionals on here but aside from the power issue to resolve any other thoughts on this idea? I can get the wireless converter box for $50 and use TPG for a $1 month prepaid SIM card so it could be quite economical.

Looking online for GSM diallers they seem to be pretty expensive by comparison ($300-$400) and not much info on how I can hook them into my existing system.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

The panel needs to see 48V line voltage to recognise the presence of the phone line or it will not dial.

Thanks

Just. Stop.

You're taking an unreliable communications path (dialler over VOIP) and then adding additional points of failure. The whole thing will be held together by glue and string.

Who is monitoring this? Why not move away from dialler altogether toward a polled IP system which will happily sit on your IP connection and the hardware will cost around the same, for a technology that can actually work.

Thanks

Yes, considering your circumstances, for the very reasons stated by the other guys who have already replied to you, definitely forget about using a GSM unit.
    Another viable option for you is a product called Telstra Secure. Equipment costs are a one off regardless of which ever wireless network based alternative you go with, so what you really need to investigate is the on-going monitoring rates as they will vary quite a bit between the various options available, and can also vary quite a bit between monitoring centres. Shop around, but be warned - like most things, you get what you pay for, and this relates to monitoring centres as much as anything else. Go with a reputable one, ask around.

And as Downunderdan mentioned, an advantage of IP based monitoring over regular diallers is that it's being polled frequently. That means a comms failure will show up much quicker than it would due to a missed dialler test.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Just. Stop.

You're taking an unreliable communications path (dialler over VOIP) and then adding additional points of failure. The whole thing will be held together by glue and string.

Who is monitoring this? Why not move away from dialler altogether toward a polled IP system which will happily sit on your IP connection and the hardware will cost around the same, for a technology that can actually work.
    OK thanks for all the replies guys, will research some more on your suggestions. Just one clarification though, my idea isn't VOIP. The call is made with a SIM over the mobile phone network as a mobile phone call, not a data connection.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieSecGuy View Post
    The call is made with a SIM over the mobile phone network as a mobile phone call, not a data connection.
    As mentioned that wont work as the panel needs to see 48v from the PSTN line to dial out, you could set it to dumb dial, however you'd be surprised how much IP/GSM interfaces are coming down in price. They are super easy to install, no real programming or networking require. Ring around and see who can give you a good deal. Would save a lot of problems in the long run.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    As mentioned that wont work as the panel needs to see 48v from the PSTN line to dial out, you could set it to dumb dial, however you'd be surprised how much IP/GSM interfaces are coming down in price. They are super easy to install, no real programming or networking require. Ring around and see who can give you a good deal. Would save a lot of problems in the long run.
    Yeah the more I look around I can see some cheaper options. This one is super cheap so no doubt the quality isn't that great but there are other ones too

Thanks

oops...deleted
    Last edited by NewbieSecGuy; 04-01-13 at 07:38 AM. Reason: deleted

Thanks

1) Links don't appear unless you're logged in. Silly really.

2) Your username "NewbieSecGuy" suggests you are involved in security work somehow. Or was it secretarial? That kit you linked to looks like something out of a Dick Smith Funway book circa 1981.

Thanks

take out the extra http in link and page will load.
    What a piece of crap anyway.