Thread: Setup Dish on Asiasat 4

Thanks

Default Setup Dish on Asiasat 4

Hi
    I'm new to setting up satellites. I have got a iPstar satellite with a Universal KU Band LNB (L.O 9.75/10.6 ghz), an satellite finder (), and a DM04 USB DVB-S Tuner.

Im trying to find Asiasat 4 KU and am having no luck as I have tried twice and im getting nothing on the satellite finder or DVB-S box. If anyone could give me someone helpful tips I would be greatful.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Asiasat4 Ku @ 122.2E

Quote Originally Posted by joshm998 View Post
    Hi
    I'm new to setting up satellites. I have got a iPstar satellite with a Universal KU Band LNB (L.O 9.75/10.6 ghz), an satellite finder (), and a DM04 USB DVB-S Tuner.

Im trying to find Asiasat 4 KU and am having no luck as I have tried twice and im getting nothing on the satellite finder or DVB-S box. If anyone could give me someone helpful tips I would be greatful.

Thanks

This shows the bits and pieces you should have.

The installation CD should help.
    Menu
    LNB
    Transponder 12414 V 43200 SR
    I've been unable to find one.

You need an XP with plenty of grunt and memory.

Thanks

Default Setup Dish on Asiasat 4

Ok thanks. I have a windows 7 i5 pc so it should be fine and I will try and ad that transponder

Thanks
    Josh

Thanks

Hi Josh any luck finding asia sat 4 were trying to find it at the moment useing my mates foxtel dish no luck either ?

Thanks

Wink Asiasat 4 @ 122.2 E.

Quote Originally Posted by mysecretplanet View Post
    Hi Josh any luck finding asia sat 4 were trying to find it at the moment useing my mates foxtel dish no luck either ?
    What STB are you using?
    Is it capable of 43200 SR?
    Have you moved the dish from C1/D3? ie: 156.0 E to 122.2o E ?

Edit:
    12414 V.
    You wont get it without re-pointing.

Elevation and Skew are also different to Optus Satellites.
    Is your mate's dish on a current subscription with Foxtel. If so, he wont be too happy with those changes.

Last edited by beer4life; 31-03-13 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks

I have a few different set boxes the one I used was a strong srt 4653 I've also got a openbox s10 clone I think eBay china and a couple of old select tv boxes with no remotes which one should I try ? Also is the lmb okay we're it is from the foxtel channels what to do? Cheers

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The Strong 4653 may not handle the SR and it's an SD MPEG2-only DVBS decoder.

Don't know about a clone S10 (you'll need to check the specs in its manual yourself) but it 'may' be suitable.

The old selectv won't hNDLE the symbol rate, or DVBS-2 as they are an MPEG2 SD-only decoder.

LNB skew will be different compared to any of the Optus sats so you will need to adjust it for optimum signal quality.

You will need to either have a signal-quality display on a meter, or by viewing a screen displaying a signal quality scale from a correctly-programmed decoder when making the LNB adjustments.

LNB skew settings will vary, depending on your location, which you haven't mentioned, but a signal quality meter/display will indicate the best skew position of the LNB regardless of your location.

As a starting guide, LNB skew for most of the east coast for non-Optus sats will be approx the 5 o'clock position of the output connector, when viewed from the front of the dish.

You will still need to fine-tune adjustments af azimuth, elevation and skew using a good signal display.

Moving needle sat finders are very inaccurate and they do not display signal quality or indicate what satellite they are receiving from.
    Last edited by mtv; 31-03-13 at 05:20 PM. Reason: amended Strong info after checking specs

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

mysecretplanet (31-03-13)

Thanks

Thanks once again MTV Im near kalgoorlie I think his lmb is at 12oclock from foxtel I don't have a metre just waiting for signal to go green we're should I turn the lmb to ? Will give it another crack mate watching the tv im on the roof havent touched lmb though

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The signal probably won't go green unless your dish and LNB are aligned correctly and your decoder is programmed with the correct transponder info already.

If the LNB isn't approximately correct to begin with, just moving the dish probably won't indicate a green signal scale.

I'm assuming you're using the S10 clone, as the other decoders you mentioned won't decode the signal.

12 o'clock LNB skew is wrong... that would mean the LNB output connector would be pointing straight up.

For Kalgoorlie, the Optus sats would require an LNB skew around the 6 o'clock position, but for other sats, LNB skew would be around the 4 o'clock position (when viewed from the front of the dish).

As I mentioned before, this is an approx starting position only.

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mysecretplanet View Post
    Thanks once again MTV Im near kalgoorlie I think his lmb is at 12oclock from foxtel I don't have a metre just waiting for signal to go green we're should I turn the lmb to ? Will give it another crack mate watching the tv im on the roof havent touched lmb though
    As stated earlier, if your mate's on a current Foxtel subscription,leave it alone.
    When he needs Foxtel, he's going to be one very unhappy mate when he's got to pay a Tech to fix it.
    The S10 may be suitable, but none of the others.

As an aside, if the outlet of the LNB is at 12oclock, far better at 6oclock to minimise moisture ingress to the Cable and/or the LNB.There are two positions, 1800 apart that can be used in any installation.

Last edited by beer4life; 31-03-13 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

Yeh I wouldnt do that to him he's just got the old dish blowin in the wind trying to get some cambodian channels for him until he can get hold of a c band dish