Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intelsat 19 FTA from Sydney and config questions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Pleased to hear you had success,Candyman.

You shouldn't need to alter dish alignment for two transponders on the same satellite.

What is likely, is that one transponder may be weaker than the other and require more critical alignment than the other, which is why it's a good reason to align a dish for the weakest signal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Candyman (07-05-13)

Thanks

Right on, I understand. Cheers for your tips mtv, nice one!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Candyman For This Useful Post:

mtv (07-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
    Cheers mtv. I followed your instructions and have found good signal strength and quality (in the high 80% range). I found Prof Satellite Finder SF-500 to be invaluable in this exercise and would recommend people invest in it (only $50 from Hong Kong, similar/identical products go for about $130-$150 here).

As you pointed out, 12527 H transponder seems to have only one FTA channel, and the rest I could not view. Wonder if jastreb has found that to be the case too?!

So I switched to 12286 H transponder which has about 5 or 6 free channels. I had to re-point the dish somewhat to tune in to this transponder - is this normal?
    Hi Candyman. Yes 12527H has not much on it. My dads new decoder does a blind scan so it found a few FTA channels on other transponders. Here is a list of what it found.

12523H 30000, 12531H 30000, 12283H 28800, 12398H 29500, 12554H 13330, 12572H 13845, 12643H 28060, 12683H 28125, 12723H 28060, 12485V 1111

I am at my dads right now as I type this. He screwed up his set up because he tried to "add" channels. Sigh, Yes he likes to tinker. He managed to change the LO frequency of the LNB so it stopped working.

I bought a sat finder, a cheap crappy one but what I found best was to configure the decoder for at least one known transponder on the satellite then go to the screen that shows the signal quality. I then setup a web cam to view the tv on skype, went on roof, pointed satellite to where dishfinder web site showed, connected through my smartphone on another skype account to the web cam and i could see if any signal appeared as i moved the satellite. Soooooo important to make very very little adjustments. Just tightening the screws can cause you to loose signal.

Good luck.

Thanks

Cheers jastreb. Wow, very clever way of working with smartphone, webcam, Skype and cheap satfinder, good one! Yes, I found that to be the case too, even tightening up the screws on the dish can mess up the signal quality a fair bit. In my case that was easy to monitor because I had my SatFinder right in front of me.

Since I last posted here, I actually re-scanned all the transponders found under Intelsat19 on decoder (I had to add 12527 H manually) and managed to find all the channels I thought were encrypted but are actually FTA (even if only for the time being). For some reason, scanning 12527 H alone didn't find the channels I was after, but when I selected all transponders and did a new scan, the channels were found and are indeed under 12527 H (how strange!?). In particular there are about half a dozen Balkan channels including DM Sat, Pink Plus, Pink Extra that I know other people are subscribing to (TVPlus subscription). Jastreb, do you have these channels? You should be able to find them.

I found people who subscribe to TVPlus use TVPLUS SAT-8000 decoder and a smartcard. I know it's been discussed in this thread that these channels "were FTA while TVPlus were testing" and are being encrypted as we speak, however I can tell you they are FTA still. Apparently one of my dad's neighbours has been watching the same channels as FTA for about seven or eight months already. I found a from February this year which says "TVPlus channels will be encrypted in the coming days", but months have gone since. Can someone shed light on this, are there any real deadlines in place? Also, it may be a silly question and my guess is no, but can you find any FTA channels on a TVPlus decoder?
    Last edited by Candyman; 13-05-13 at 01:09 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

That highlights the importance of being able to see a signal quality scale when aligning a dish/LNB.

Smaller dishes, eg: 65cm are more critical with alignment than larger ones, eg: 85cm.

Yes, there are still some TVPlus channels that remain unencrypted and they've been telling people since late last year those channels would be encrypted in the coming days.

So, no... there's no firm encryption date been given by TVPlus, so it could be today, tomorrow, a week, a month.... nobody knows.

For all we know, they could go bust and shut up shop and disappear and resurface under a different name, before those channels are encrypted.

Just enjoy them while they are FTA.

I think it's criminal they have been charging subscribers for what continues to be available freely to anyone.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a TVPLUS SAT-8000 decoder whether they can tune non-TVPlus services, as most pay TV providers use custom firmware in their decoders which only permits reception of their own channels.

Even VAST, the Australian FTA service does not permit receiving anything other than VAST channels with their decoders...... and that's FTA..... grrrr..... don't get me started on that one!

Thanks

Yes he does get the Pink channels although he now tells me that the Pink Extra channel is just showing a blank screen. So not sure what thats about. It was working a short while ago. It does not say that it is encrypted though. And I get those without the 12527H transponder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That highlights the importance of being able to see a signal quality scale when aligning a dish/LNB.

Smaller dishes, eg: 65cm are more critical with alignment than larger ones, eg: 85cm.

Yes, there are still some TVPlus channels that remain unencrypted and they've been telling people since late last year those channels would be encrypted in the coming days.

So, no... there's no firm encryption date been given by TVPlus, so it could be today, tomorrow, a week, a month.... nobody knows.

For all we know, they could go bust and shut up shop and disappear and resurface under a different name, before those channels are encrypted.

Just enjoy them while they are FTA.

I think it's criminal they have been charging subscribers for what continues to be available freely to anyone.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a TVPLUS SAT-8000 decoder whether they can tune non-TVPlus services, as most pay TV providers use custom firmware in their decoders which only permits reception of their own channels.

Even VAST, the Australian FTA service does not permit receiving anything other than VAST channels with their decoders...... and that's FTA..... grrrr..... don't get me started on that one!
    The quality of the stuff they are showing on the Balkan channels is so poor I can't believe people are actually paying money to watch it. But hey, I guess there is a demand for it. I wouldn't pay the monthly fee they are asking for. My dad though does not seem to be so picky. He doesn't seem to mind watching 320x240 resolution video on a 1080p widescreen TV. The older generation was so much more tolerable.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jastreb View Post
    The quality of the stuff they are showing on the Balkan channels is so poor I can't believe people are actually paying money to watch it. But hey, I guess there is a demand for it. I wouldn't pay the monthly fee they are asking for. My dad though does not seem to be so picky. He doesn't seem to mind watching 320x240 resolution video on a 1080p widescreen TV. The older generation was so much more tolerable.
    Not more tolerant of poor picture quality but in the early days of TV, that was as good as you got in good areas and for those at a distance, any picture was better than none and believe me, none is what I have watched on many occasions as the signal bounced about due to weather disruptions.
    Today you expect a crystal clear high definition picture with multichannel audio as the Norm because thats what you have grown up with but drop back 30 years which for us is only yesterday and its a whole different set of values.

However that does not excuse any provider from being required to broadcasting the best possible quality as they are charging a fee and the customer deserves to get what they paid for.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Not more tolerant of poor picture quality but in the early days of TV, that was as good as you got in good areas and for those at a distance, any picture was better than none and believe me, none is what I have watched on many occasions as the signal bounced about due to weather disruptions.
    Today you expect a crystal clear high definition picture with multichannel audio as the Norm because thats what you have grown up with but drop back 30 years which for us is only yesterday and its a whole different set of values.

However that does not excuse any provider from being required to broadcasting the best possible quality as they are charging a fee and the customer deserves to get what they paid for.
    I didn't grow up with HD. I am over 40 years old so I saw first hand the transition from the old fish bowl black and white TVs to modern technology. I still remember my dad's first TV. You even had to change valve tubes (vacuum tubes) whatever you call them to tune the TV for different channels.

My problem is with them charging so much yet providing a very poor quality picture.

Thanks

Yes he does get the Pink channels although he now tells me that the Pink Extra channel is just showing a blank screen. So not sure what thats about. It was working a short while ago. It does not say that it is encrypted though. And I get those without the 12527H transponder.
    Funny that, cos my papa can watch Pink Extra fine and Pink Plus is showing a blank screen as of last few days. I suspect it's been encrypted. I also agree with your point that these channels aren't worth paying for, certainly not ~$60 per month or whatever TVPlus charge!

Thanks

Unhappy 4e fta on intelsat 19..12886..sr 30000 off air

does anyone know if you can still lock into 12286..sr 30000..only getting 45% strength and 10% quality..on this transponder..but heaps of other transponders work ok..on in19..my mum is freaking out cos she use to have 4e fta..lol

Thanks

HI everybody. I appologise in advance for possibly asking stupid questions. I have tried to do as much research before posting but I still not sure about some things. So the story is this. My father has been wanting to have his current satellite/receiver configured so he can watch certain balkan channels. Thats all the info he can give me. Talking about Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Greek channels etc. My uncle a few streets away from him has had this done and paid $400 to somebody to do it. My father can't afford it and I said I would help out. But rather than just forking out the money I thought I would try it myself, and at same time learn about it. He is located in Western Sydney. I am in Wollongong. He has also been given a new box which apparently will definitely work for the channels he needs.

Dad's setup:
    DISH:Small fixed dish, I would say about 90cm. Similar size to ones you get for pay TV from Foxtel/Austar.
    LNB:The LNB has following information on the label: Supernet H110, Input Freq 12.25-12.75Ghz, LO 11.3Ghz, Output Freq 950-1450Mhz,
    New Receiver: Globox HD-4
    Old(Current) Receiver: Space-120

My setup: (Ex Mystar HD Installation)
    DISH: Small fixed dish, I would say about 90cm. One that Austar install.
    LNB: All I can see is that its a Sharp. Has 4 outlets. No idea why that is. I do know the Mystar HD box needed two connections to it. Maybe its required for HD.

From what I can see, my dad's receiver is set to Optus B3. Looking at lyngsat again this doesn't show any channels available on B2. However I learned that B2 has been replaced by D2. He receives some FTA channels but not many, and definitely not the ones he is interested in. After looking up Lyngsat information I am pretty sure the dish I need to point/configure for is Intelsat 19 which appears to carry the channels he is after (TV Plus at 12527H). . I have taken his new receiver to myplace to play around till I know how to do it so not to inconvenience him.

So, These are my questions.

1. Is Intelsat 19 the right satellite to be configuring for. I mean is it visible on his small dish from Sydney or should I keep looking for a different satellite? Seems to have the channels he is after. If I am right Ku band is available for Intelsat19 in Australia and C band is what I need for Asian satellites for which I will need a large satellite dish.
    2. Will his current setup work for Intelsat19. With his dish and LNB as specified above and the old or new receiver.
    3. I have borrowed his Globox HD-4 thinking to play around with it at my place so I learn before I install it at his place. Will it work with my ex austar HD dish and LNB?. My LNB seems to have 4 connections. Its a Sharp. Not sure if some of these are inputs or all outputs etc. So confused there.
    4. I have got some android apps and also ordered one of them cheap ebay analogue satellite finders to help out. Don't have the ebay gadget yet but the app shows me which way Intelsat 19 is. Once I have pointed the dish what do I need to do on the receiver side as far as setting up the satellite. I think I know how to setup the channels by inputting the transponder frequencies as listed on lyngsat but not sure what to put in for satellite. It asks for satellite name, LNB Type, LNB power, 22k, DiSEqc.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you all in advance.
    Cheers.
    I have hard time too to locate IS 19. So What I learned from it. Use L.O. 10.7 and align it to 5 o' clock mark, Dish Elevation around 40° depends on your location, check the marking on the frame. Use The Dish pointer website to point your dish initially. Now if can scan it by frequency, move it slowly allow 2 sec min to scan itself, move it till you get the highest Quality, even if it is only 18, stop there, move the elevation slowly up or down till you get the highest, then can try the LNB to turn it till you get the highest.
    If You don't have the scanner the receiver can be use check the quality. the LO 10.7 and one of the TP channel must set up like Frequency 12,606 Polarity H Symbol rate 30,000 MS/s to do that. Now you can scan the FTA channels.

Administrator
    Thanks

This thread is 10 years old.

Closed
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12