Thread: Multifunctional serial Server RS232 RS485 to ethernet TCP IP UDP converter

Thanks

Default Multifunctional serial Server RS232 RS485 to ethernet TCP IP UDP converter

Hi there, a while back i bought a Multifunctional serial Server RS232 RS485 to ethernet TCP IP UDP converter.

Make and Model is USR- TCP232-300

I gave it to my cousin who has set top box which does not have an ethernet port only the RS232 on the back of the unit.

According to the info on that came with the unit this should work but we are unable to get it to come up on the screen to access a menu to get ip address etc.... so it can be networked.

Theere is a link to the item on ebay which is still being sold so i guess it has to work and i am overlooking something simple

Any advice or links which u can that can help work this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Did the device come with a virtual comm port driver? Go to "Device Manager" on your PC and check that there's a serial comm port associated with the device.
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

Thanks

The device came with the ethernet cable and the serial port cable i will check to see if it comes up in device manager. Shgould this device not connect straight to back of set top box by serial cable provided and then ethernet cable to router /switchbox.
    Then after that access menu on screen via stu remote..

The problem is i dont know how to access that particular menu. i think it may be a sequence of 4 digit numbers but not sure. It says no drivers needed autodetects. when i plug into lan the ethernet light on device starts flashing so i assume it is online but i do not know how to configure it.
    Last edited by mcmuzzy; 11-04-13 at 09:04 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcmuzzy View Post
    Hi there, a while back i bought a Multifunctional serial Server RS232 RS485 to ethernet TCP IP UDP converter.

Make and Model is USR- TCP232-300

Any advice or links which u can that can help work this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    The picture in the eBay listing looks suspiciously similar to a BF-430 device.

There is an extensive thread in the satellite tv section of the forum at which might help you.

Use Google with the search criteria "USR- TCP232-300 guide" to look for more information. Here - I've done it for you.

I found a test tool mentioned in the thread at might be useful.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

mcmuzzy (12-04-13)

Thanks

thx tristen will check it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    The picture in the eBay listing looks suspiciously similar to a BF-430 device.

There is an extensive thread in the satellite tv section of the forum at which might help you.

Use Google with the search criteria "USR- TCP232-300 guide" to look for more information. Here - I've done it for you.

I found a test tool mentioned in the thread at might be useful.
    I read up on the links you gave me and thankyou.
    on one of the links BF430 Idiots Guide to be exact they mentioned about connecting it to a humax a few years back. this is what we are trying to do for him
    He has a humaX 5400 and a humax IR-ace.

We just cannot work out of to get it up on screen to input data. I did read about a web config page. When we tried to put in the ip address in the browser nothing came up. This is on home network. Do I have to do anything in the main router like change port add ip or do anything like that to get the web config page to come up.

Premium Member

Thanks

It must be your lucky day as I have departed from my usual practice and replied to your PM.

Thanks

yeah it must be my lucky day thankyou for the reply

Thanks

Shgould this device not connect straight to back of set top box by serial cable provided and then ethernet cable to router /switchbox
    Yes that is correct, but at the PC end you have a virtual comm port driver. You give the virtual comm port the IP address
    Of the serial device. After that, your PC thinks it has amother serial port.
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GavinSV View Post
    Yes that is correct, but at the PC end you have a virtual comm port driver. You give the virtual comm port the IP address
    Of the serial device. After that, your PC thinks it has amother serial port.

I have managed to change ip address and ping it on the network using a crossover cable and now am trying to get a humax 5400 to accept an nline. I read on other forums that there was a patched firmware for the hummy to recognize tcp ip protocol and i believe it already had cccam and newcamd in it already but not 100% sure.
    I flashed the box this morning and now I have ToH34_HoT115 installed but I cannot find server software to insert nline or newcamd line.

I have read about humax sharemax and humax sharebox but am really confused. I tried them, but they are windows apps. Is there a way I can upload server software and the cccam or newcamd plugins into the humax 5400.

Any directions to a tutorial or link for a step by step would be appreciated
    Last edited by mcmuzzy; 15-04-13 at 12:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

I have managed to change ip address and ping it on the network using a crossover cable and now am trying to get a humax 5400 to accept an nline. I read on other forums that there was a patched firmware for the hummy to recognize tcp ip protocol and i believe it already had cccam and newcamd in it already but not 100% sure.
    I flashed the box this morning and now I have ToH34_HoT115 installed but I cannot find server software to insert nline or newcamd line.

I have read about humax sharemax and humax sharebox but am really confused. I tried them, but they are windows apps. Is there a way I can upload server software and the cccam or newcamd plugins into the humax 5400.

Any directions to a tutorial or link for a step by step would be appreciated
    This topic has now progressed to the stage where it is no longer a discussion concerning a simple networking problem, but has developed into an exercise in what appears to be card-sharing using a Humax 5400 satellite receiver.

As such, any further discussion should take place in the Satellite Television section of the forum - in the Decoders sub-section.

If you re-post there, outlining in detail exactly what you are attempting to achieve, members with a specific interest and/or knowledge of the topic will probably reply in order to assist you.

(A quick search of the forum using the terms "humax 5400 cardsharing" reveals that that topic has been covered before).
    Last edited by tristen; 15-04-13 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    This topic has now progressed to the stage where it is no longer a discussion concerning a simple networking problem, but has developed into an exercise in what appears to be card-sharing using a Humax 5400 satellite receiver.

As such, any further discussion should take place in the Satellite Television section of the forum - in the Decoders sub-section.

If you re-post there, outlining in detail exactly what you are attempting to achieve, members with a specific interest and/or knowledge of the topic will probably reply in order to assist you.

(A quick search of the forum using the terms "humax 5400 cardsharing" reveals that that topic has been covered before).
    Yeah sorry I let it get so far in the wrong section.

I have reposted in the satellite decoders section.

once again I apologise.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mcmuzzy For This Useful Post:

tristen (15-04-13)