Thread: Monitoring network/internet usage

Thanks

Default Monitoring network/internet usage

Hello everyone

I am rehashing my whole home network and would like to fully monitor what & where devices that are attached to my network look at. My internet modem/router is in the same spot as my desktop computer (windows 7) and I was thinking I could use this computer as a doorway into my house.

I know of software that can be installed onto individual computers - but with the joys of iphones, ipads, ipods all mixed with testosterone of teenagers and their friends - just bung in "xxx" in the facebook search and you will understand what I mean....... I want to either watch what they look at, or stop it at my house.

What do I need to do this?
    有段者

Look Here ->
    Thanks

This may or may not help you:
    EDIT:

I got these results by searching "monitor what is using bandwidth router" into Google. There may be more helpful results when searching for that yourself
    Last edited by ada101; 26-04-13 at 11:40 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ada101 For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (26-04-13)

Thanks

Check out the Sophos UTM Home user license, it allows up to 50 ip addresses, and it's free. Sophos bought Astaro a year or two ago, and they've done a great job of integrating it, you also get 12 free Sophos Endpoint Protection licenses for free with it.

It has all the features you'd get if you bought the enterprise UTM license, 50 ips is plenty for even the most computer saturated home(like my own), and you get very good stats.

You need a dedicated PC with at least 2 network cards, and a intermediate to advanced(depending on what you want to do) knowledge about networking will be a major advantage in you setting it up and getting good info from it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to zoog For This Useful Post:

borisbadfinger (27-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Sounds great but that > You need a dedicated PC with at least 2 network cards < will be a dealbreaker with most users

Thanks

Perhaps it may be a dealbreaker, whether it's due to not having a spare or not wanting to run one 24/7, but it need not be a powerful machine.

I have a 2-3 year old celeron with 2 gig of ram and an 80G hdd, that's more powerful than needed even.