Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FoMoCo Australia & new Zealand SD Sat Nav

Thanks

Default FoMoCo Australia & new Zealand SD Sat Nav

Hello All.
    Just got my New Ford Focus Titanium and very happy with it. ( Diesel turbo )
    Minor Issue was GPS, I picked up car from mornington in melbourne and the Peninsula Link was not on the GPS , And also the New Nagambie Bypass.
    The Sat nav on the Packaging that came with the car says its version 3.0
    I Can upload this later if anyone would like to have it for themselves.
    Does anyone know if its easily updatable etc

Cheers
    Mutanti

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Just Noticed that on back of SD Card package there is a Whereis map data disclaimer. Would it be easy to update ?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Ease of updating will depend on the Operating System/Firmware of the GPS unit.
    The fact that the map is on an SD card means you can read it on a PC if its not locked up.
    If you can tell me what the folder & file structure of the SD card is I may be able to help you with what map to use.
    When you read the card, set your PC to show in Windows Explorer under Tools/Folder Options/View, make sure that you have "Show Hidden Files & Folders" checked as well as removing the tick from beside "Hide protected operating system files" a couple of lines below.
    Whereis maps supply the Sensis maps for Garmin GPS, as well as some other GPS brands, so it may possible that you can use the latest maps from the Garmin section of the forum??
    Maybe someone with a Ford can give you some more info on that. Hopefully the unit is not locked to certain file system on the card.

The maps supplied in Cars with inbuilt GPS are renowned for being a year or 2 old, & the car manufacturer will charge you an arm & a leg to purchase an update. They should install the latest firmware & map updates for the unit during pre-delivery, however from what most people say, they don't.
    You can also buy from

Hope that helps
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Since the GPS is part of the car I would recommend to kick the dealer for the correct update.
    It is common practice here not to supply up to date maps with new cars as the dealers are lazy and often have no clue anyway.
    If the dealer refuses let them pay you 100$ in cash so you can buy the new map, if they refuse both you can take matters to the ACC.
    The dealers know what they do wrong but they get away too often....
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

I Did ask the dealer but he said its the latest map he has.
    The Sd Card has A Folder called cryptnav
    The info.txt file is attached below
    sd2-FORD_MFD_SOP_AUS_NZL v2

Worm: sd2-FORD_MFD_SOP_AUS_NZL v2

DT-Title: AUS/NZL

Project-Bez: FORD MFD
    Project-Info:

DS-Info: Ford MFD AUS/NZL

F4 NAV-Server: DI_SWNAVI9.3 C2P29
    Boot-Reg.:
    Default-Sprache: [_ b_ 01 m] (britisch/metrisch)

Sprachen: english dutch greek french german finnish italian danish polish norwegian portuguese russian spanish slovak turkish hungarian swedish czech

OB-Voice: VOICE/SPEECH_DIR_9.0V45

Nav-Data (knit): Link/Link_N12I11M9T8/nav2-FORD_MFD_AUS_NZL_2009_L12I11/v3
    Map-Data (knit): Link/Link_N12I11M9T8/map2-FORD_MFD_AUS_NZL_2009_MK9/v2
    WorldMap (knit): Link/Link_N12I11M9T8/map2-FORD_MFD_AUS_NZL_2009_MK9/v2

DTM-Daten: - keine -

Nav-Data (unknit): - keine -

RF-Data: - keine -

SDB-Data: - keine -
    SDN-Data: - keine -

TMC: ---

C-Date: 08.11.10 (16)
    I-Date:

Comp: SCCS-Vers 7.22 11-08-10
    Img:

Appears to be similar to the Mazda GPS Software.....

Thanks

I did Zip the File and go to upload it to the filebox at the top of page but it is not showing in there after I uploaded for some reason. ?

EDIT :
    have Signed in again and trying to upload the Contents of the SD Card... Will Let you know when its done..

Thought I stuffed the card, Was asking me to format it ...... Don't know why, I was only trying to copy files once again to computer with Hidden files if any?
    Put it back in car and thank FU(k it still Shows up.... Although it said no gps - I think car might need to be running and possibly out of shed, But at least maps were coming up, I did copy files to a second sd card but it would not fire up with that card in the slot at all...
    Last edited by mutanti; 20-05-13 at 10:32 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mutanti View Post
    I Did ask the dealer but he said its the latest map he has.
    The Sd Card has A Folder called cryptnav
    snip...

Appears to be similar to the Mazda GPS Software.....
    Looks like a locked file system, bummer, dealers are arseholes,
    From what I have been able to determine, the "headunit" is made by BOSCH Germany and is a NAVI900.
    This unit is used in many different makes & models of vehicles worldwide and ALL have the problem of outdated maps.

I have contacted Bosch Germany direct and asked them to advise when updates would be available - I have not had a response - I will try again.

A neighbour has mentioned that someone on a ranger forum reckons they have had a map update done free from Ford...?????

As we all know "where-is" produce the actual data which is widely available to other GPS manufacturers, but in this case, it seems BOSCH have to reformat the data into their propriety "cryptnav" format - which seems to be causing the delays..
    Keep searching.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

2009 is just a bad joke, same for a dealer telling that would be the latest map.
    It only shows disrespect nothing more
    Most likely the support for that GPS has seized already, making it a useless gadget, making it even more pressing for the dealer.
    A GPS is either an optinal extra or the standard for some models, but with 5 year old maps no GPS can be cosidered useful.

What software version are you using on this thing?
    Can you check the "Engeneering mode" ? - In config menu hold the congic key for about 10 sec the engeneering menu should pop up.
    First point there would be the version info.
    From the engeneering menu you can also update the software and (at least in Germany) get map updates.
    Not sure though if in AU the GPS comes with a SIM card or if it needs to be connected to a PC.

would be the map you want.
    But for Ford there is nothing to find at all, seems to be discontinued.
    Since the system uses SD's you can't use downloaded maps unless you find some hacked version of the software.
    Also, due to the system integration your dealer should at least be able to find out if your GPS is discontinued, if so he must offer a suitable replacement since the car is new.

Thanks

Sorry but one above did not have hidden Files I dont think so I am Reuploading Just in case.
    Last edited by mutanti; 20-05-13 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks

What case?
    1. The SD's containing the map data are DRM protected, since 2010 there has been not a single working map copy on the net
    2. Your data won't help unless for backup purposes
    3. I see only the option to get an original SD with current data or to get a new GPS system

• The Following User Says Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-05-13)

Thanks

Is this the Right Menu ?

Thanks

So New Car with Old Maps... Thats great - Not To happy about that...

Thanks

Your attachment is not working here, maybe it is possible to upload to a hoster like Imageshack or Tinypic?

But you are not alone, it is common pratice for car manufacturers to make a good deal for a built in GPS system that is basically dead before the car reaches the market.
    Sometimes the product is discontinued altogether, sometimes just the support for certain countries, leaving customers stranded with outdated maps and buggy software.
    As you noticed maps are around 200 bucks - for that price you can buy a good GPS with lifetime map updates if you shop around.
    Car dealer blames the headquarter and GPS supplier, the GPS supplier blames the dealers for having no clue and not ordering new maps.
    It is an endless circle that works too well here in a country with non existing consumer protection.
    You can contact the guys from the website I linked earlier and ask if your device in your car model is still supported and if not when support was stopped for AU.
    Since the GPS is useless the value of the car is drastically reduced - without the GPS there could be something useful instead.
    Just for that you would have the legal right to force the dealer to take the car back or make him pay you the money for a proper replacement GPS that supports the in-car-systems.
    The last will not be possible, so you have a good chance but it will cost you a lot of time and most likely the support from the ACCC.

Thanks

Would this work to make a Copy of the Card ???

Thanks

Nothing will work otherwise it would not be a DRM protection.
    Once the SD protection is in use no user can override it.
    And even if would work - a copy would only work in your device an not any other device as the data is bound to your serial/deviceID.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

mutanti (22-05-13)

Thanks

If anyone has a v4 card can they make a copy with gparted boot disk. Must be fat 16 partition and see if it works

Thanks

Default GPS Dud

My 17 month old Focus (European built) has the same details exactly on the the sd card. Maps where a year old when I got it and I was told they where the latest.

I am so disappointed in the sat nav unit that I paid extra to have.

I havn't bothered to even try to get it updated because it is such a basic unit lacking any features provided by basic $200 dollar TomTom with lifetime maps

Does,t provide current speed, Speed camera warnings -location or any other usefull imformation provided by your basic $100 gps.

I'll be much better informed next car I buy and I doubt it will be a Ford.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maccat08 View Post
    My 17 month old Focus (European built) has the same details exactly on the the sd card. Maps where a year old when I got it and I was told they where the latest.

I am so disappointed in the sat nav unit that I paid extra to have.

I havn't bothered to even try to get it updated because it is such a basic unit lacking any features provided by basic $200 dollar TomTom with lifetime maps

Does,t provide current speed, Speed camera warnings -location or any other usefull imformation provided by your basic $100 gps.

I'll be much better informed next car I buy and I doubt it will be a Ford.
    More info Over in the Ford Forums...

Thanks

Default Ranger & BT-50 Sat Navs

Greetings Community,

After a bit of hunting around about the Navi900 unit that is meant to be installed in our BT-50's and Rangers, found some interesting info about firmware updates for the Navi600 / Navi900 units from Europe. Now I would imagine we should be able to reinstall the original firmware for the unit and hopefully get rid of the crappy stuff Mazda & Ford have seen fit to give us. See the below link,

TRY THAT SORRY

Now I am not sure if I am game enough to try and update the firmware in my unit at this point in time in case I brick it and considering it is based on an EU Model. I would imagine that the map data should be in the same format and as long as the SD card is removed during the flashing process it should not effect the maps, but it would seem that the unit that is installed in our cars has all sorts of funky features that Mazda didn't think wise to enable in our cars if what they are talking about here is the same unit. The ability to add custom POI's, the Logbook function which is an awesome idea for work related expenditure. I am in two minds about trying to pull the head unit out and confirm once and for all if the unit is actually a Navi900. If any one has and can 100% confirm the manufacturer of the unit that would be awesome.

Depending on the feedback to this I can post a URL where the two required files are able to be downloaded, but with a little searching they are not too hard to find.

Feedback Welcomed

Marty
    Last edited by MartyMonster; 06-04-15 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Updated Link

Thanks

Your link Not Working ..

A Quick Google Search Does Find Results.
    Not sure if this would work on My Focus, Would Require a Lot More reading.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMonster View Post
    Greetings Community,

After a bit of hunting around about the Navi900 unit that is meant to be installed in our BT-50's and Rangers, found some interesting info about firmware updates for the Navi600 / Navi900 units from Europe. Now I would imagine we should be able to reinstall the original firmware for the unit and hopefully get rid of the crappy stuff Mazda & Ford have seen fit to give us. See the below link,

... Y90Wzij1sg

Now I am not sure if I am game enough to try and update the firmware in my unit at this point in time in case I brick it and considering it is based on an EU Model. I would imagine that the map data should be in the same format and as long as the SD card is removed during the flashing process it should not effect the maps, but it would seem that the unit that is installed in our cars has all sorts of funky features that Mazda didn't think wise to enable in our cars if what they are talking about here is the same unit. The ability to add custom POI's, the Logbook function which is an awesome idea for work related expenditure. I am in two minds about trying to pull the head unit out and confirm once and for all if the unit is actually a Navi900. If any one has and can 100% confirm the manufacturer of the unit that would be awesome.

Depending on the feedback to this I can post a URL where the two required files are able to be downloaded, but with a little searching they are not too hard to find.

Feedback Welcomed

Marty
    Last edited by mutanti; 06-04-15 at 11:05 AM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast