Thread: 2 WiFi's at the one place.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 2 WiFi's at the one place.

Bear with me while I try to explain clearly my latest 'Brilliant' idea.
    I run a Telstra wireless dongle connected to a Netcomm Wifi router for the Internet.
    I get 8GB a month 'Bundled' with the telephone and it still has 12 months to go on the contract (hate contracts) which generally does me and my wife's Tablet usage.
    How ever with my son using a L/top when the urge takes him, we 'sorta' run out of Data maybe 3 to 7 days before the 'allowance Month' ends.
    Fortunately all this does is slow it down to 64 kbs which is good but unfortunately this Telstra plan doesnt allow me to purchase extra data blocks.
    Some months ago I obtained a USB dongle and when one of the Chain stores had a sale on SIM cards cheap I bought some and have used those to allow one computer to run normally.
    Untill now I have been stuck with Telstra due to the poor signal that Optus has here and no Optus dongle had an external antenna socket but I have one now.
    After I am assured of a suitable signal I was going to use this 2nd dongle as a supplementary Internet connection either by using the USB connection to one computer or set up a 2nd Wifi for all to connect to as required.
    I cant see any real problems having 2 Wifi systems in one place as there has to be situations in multi units and suburban areas this occurs and so long as each uses a different channel and encryption, they should work but better to ask and find is any problems I am not aware of.
    Thanks all.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Mmmmm can you reword that a little??
    Not sure what you are saying?

Perhaps my own situation can be a helpful example.

I have 5 WiFi Access Points in the one dwelling.
    In my house, they all have a different SSID (same password)
    There are 3 on 2.4Ghz and 2 on 5Ghz.
    They all connect back to a single Access Point in Infrastructure Mode (for connecting to varying broadcasting 3G internet connections i have), it is handling the Addressing of each new portable device.
    Wired devices have fixed address's in the same subnet.

Conversely, you can run multiple Access Points with the same SSID and Encryption, so long as they are on different channels (2 channel separation is best)
    Handover takes places more based on signal strength and MAC address.

You may not experience a seamless roaming using consumer grade equipment, that is the domain of Enterprise Grade products.... But with careful placement, you can do ok.

Does that make any sense in your situation?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-05-13 at 06:50 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sorry oceanboy, I did ask you to bear with me didnt i??
    What I want to do is run 2 completely separate Wireless Internet dongles and use either by choosing one or the other from a computer.
    One will be on Telstra and the other on Optus.
    I was intending that the Optus one will be on a prepaid SIM card to activated as the Telstra service runs out of Data so both would be on together for a period of time so I dont want any conflicts occurring during that time.
    As I said earlier the Telstra Internet is on a plan and still has about a year to run so I cant dump it in favour of any other provider.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

You can run several wifi networks at the same time and connect and disconnect as you need

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

The answer is YES