Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Huawei wont connect !!!!!!!!!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default My Huawei wont connect !!!!!!!!!!

Today, after I put in a $2 Optus SIM card I 'connected' the Huawei E583C via Wifi to the computer which is running WIN8 as the O/s.
    At this point I couldnt work out where to go from there so I rang my nearest Optus store and the store clerk took the SIM card number, personal details etc and activated the card.
    Again I couldnt see how to add the $20 I had on a cash register docket I had bought he was going to get their 'Technical Help to ring me to talk me through the procedure.
    After waiting 2 hours I went online to the Optus Home page and entered the details there myself.
    I am online now using a Telstra Wireless modem currently and I wanted the Optus one as a backup.

Now I know the Optus card is activated and has credit as I put it into a phone and rang a friend.

But with the card in the Huawei, I cannot connect to the internet.
    In the WiFi status box it reads that the 'IPV4 Connectivity' has 'No Internet Connection' and the 'IPV6 has 'No Network'
    Both of these when I am connected using the Telstra modem show 'IPV Internet' and 'IPV6 Network'
    Another thing is the speed, with Optus it show only 45/50 mps but Telstra shows 150 mbps, I guess this because with no connection, the Wifi is running at 'Idle'?
    To use Optus I must connect to an external antenna as I have said in other postings but I get 5 bars on the ZTE unlocked Telstra mobile and the Huawei modem.
    What have I done or not done and how to 'Fix it Please'?

Note that I can if needed connect the Hauwei to the computer via the USB port but at the moment its only connected via WiFi.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 01-06-13 at 05:55 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

You get all the fun problems gordon

Bit of a strange one there, as you previously had your mates optus card working in it, yes ?

All I can suggest is check all settings, the basics here

Premium Member
    Thanks

Check and see if you have the Optus APN setup when you use the sim card.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagman For This Useful Post:

admin (01-06-13),Rick (01-06-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
    Check and see if you have the Optus APN setup when you use the sim card.
    Sorry, what is that (APN) and where is it??

Admin,
    I have read the print off the brochure and of course the 'pages' shown dont appear in WIN8 for connection but never the less, its connected via Wifi to the computer.
    When the computer 'detected' the Huawei and asked if I wanted to 'Connect', I pressed 'OK' and a box opened asking me to put in the Wifi key which I did and it connected.
    I did the connection 'Manually' not via the 'WPS' button.
    There is nothing I could see in the brochure on any procedures for setting up a new card etc or using WIN8 as an O/S.

Note that I had the Netcomm Wifi router I use with the Telstra Modem turned OFF so there would be no conflicts between the 2 devises.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

the modem will have a ip address
    connect to it and make sure you have signal/service

Premium Member

Thanks

I found the network Connection details for this modem and the IPV4/IPV6 has an address and the DHCP is enabled and the sub mask has an address, not that any of the numbers mean much to me but it still wont connect to the Internet as such.............
    These numbers look similar to those I remember on the Telstra Modem page.
    I have 5 bars of signal as the modem is connected to an external antenna.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 01-06-13 at 08:01 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

Note that I can if needed connect the Hauwei to the computer via the USB port but at the moment its only connected via WiFi.
    And does it work then, why do you need to connect it to your WiFi

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    And does it work then, why do you need to connect it to your WiFi
    Toyboy, what Gordon means is that you can either connect to the device with your computer wirelessly, or just plug it in to your usb port to connect to it.

Gordon, so if I am reading all this correctly :

You can connect to the device fine with your computer via wireless, but there is no internet ?

If this is the case, it sounds like the sim isnt receiving data. I wouldnt be surprised if calls are enabled but data isnt from Optus's end. Do you have a smart phone ? You could put the sim in it and see if the phone can access data. If it cant, its sim/network related.

Premium Member

Thanks

The reason I want to use the unit via Wifi is because I have 5 devises (3 computers,1 printer and 1 Tablet) not all on at once though.
    Also because of where I have run the antenna lead as I MUST use an external antenna due to the low Optus signal here means the modem isnt beside the nearest computer but by using 2 USB leads I did do a direct connection but it still doesnt work.
    There is a median length of cable I can use from the antenna to the modem before line loss exceeds the gain and the placement of the antenna also dictates what goes where so no suggestions please of relocating antenna's and cable as it took me a week to decide on the optimum location.
    Without the external antenna I get at best one intermittent bar but with the antenna I get a solid 5..........
    The Wifi portion of the modem is working perfectly but there is a possible problem stopping the modem from properly connecting to the Internet.
    Now either I have done something wrong or there is a possible problem with the Modem.
    This modem is accessing the Internet but only to the Optus section because I have received the SMS advises of the SIM card activation, service number and recharge value but thats all.
    I dont have a Smart or similar phone but I know the SIM is working as I have made some calls using an unlocked Telstra mobile
    I rang the Optus Helpline today and they talked me through all the settings but the modem still wont connect so it was suggested I take it to an Optus shop and see first hand if it has a problem.
    As the nearest Optus shop is some 50kms away it may be a day or 2 before I can get there but I will advise in the 'Fullness of Time'........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-06-13 at 08:06 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Could be a faulty Huawie modem if you recall what I experienced in you previous post I had 2 and sent them back!

Premium Member

Thanks

toyboy, thats an option I have yet to explore but this isnt a new one and did work for the previous owner before but things do break down unfortunately.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you can connect devices to it, as I said, its likely that data is not properly activated on the sim by optus. Being able to make a phone call doesnt mean a sim is properly activated, data is a seperate component. Or the sim is faulty.

You have already previously succesfully tested a sim in this modem I believe, if so it reinforces what I am saying.

If the device was simply broken, more than likely it wouldnt turn on or you wouldnt be able to connect to other devices. The odds of it becoming faulty in the short space of time between using it a week ago and now are remote to say the least.

As I mentioned, the easiest way to sort this out is to put the sim card in a phone and test the data connection. Or any other device that transmits data. I wouldnt rely on Optus support, like most support these days they wouldnt know their head from their arse.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    If the device was simply broken, more than likely it wouldnt turn on or you wouldnt be able to connect to other devices. The odds of it becoming faulty in the short space of time between using it a week ago and now are remote to say the least.

As I mentioned, the easiest way to sort this out is to put the sim card in a phone and test the data connection. Or any other device that transmits data. I wouldnt rely on Optus support, like most support these days they wouldnt know their head from their arse.
    Just looking back on your previous posts, I see you previously didnt use the internet when you tested it with your friends Optus card. Though you did mention it showed up 2G, so presumably it did connect.

But as mentioned you will need to test the sim in another device. Sims like everything else, do become faulty and some are DOA when you get them. It is very common, you see it literally everyday on Whirlpool forums.

Premium Member

Thanks

I went to the Optus shop today and the upshot is according to them that this $2 SIM card is for MOBILE phones only and NOT Internet devises like Modems and dongles.
    The card will allow Internet surfing if your Mobile supports it but thats all.
    According to them I need a specific Internet SIM card which defeats the whole exercise due to its cost and pathetic Data allowance, ie $10 for 350MB...........NOTE thats MB !!!
    I had been told this by one of my Son's friends who said he wasnt able to get a similar card to work in a USB dongle either but it worked in his phone alright.
    There are those who currently use these cards this way but maybe Optus has changed the parameters now to prevent newer issued SIM's from doing this, who knows.
    My only choice now is to find someone with a similar device and borrow their SIM and try it in the Huawei and see if it connects to the internet which would then prove whether the Huaei does work or this story is exactly that, a story........

Thanks to all who have offered advise and guidance but if the above is correct, that is basically the end of the matter, for now anyway..................
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-06-13 at 05:22 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Ha ! I knew there was something funny going on.

You might need to look at an Optus reseller but its hard to find a small amount of data at a decent price for testing.

Vaya have some good pricesif you wanted to use it full time

Or Virgin

Maybe even or even

Premium Member

Thanks

None of them can match the $2 SIM with its 'Unlimited' usage can they?
    My Grand and Greedy plan was to use this when I have used up my 8GB Telstra Data allowance and flog the living daylights out of it for $2 a day BUT not be, dammitttttt.

Administrator
    Thanks

$2 days is a mobile phone only plan.

For a $2 daily usage fee you will receive:
    Unlimited national voice calls to Australian mobiles and fixed lines, and 13/1800 numbers*
    Unlimited standard national SMS/MMS to Australian mobiles*
    Unlimited mobile Internet browsing on your mobile handset within Australia
    You can tether off the handset from memory, but cant use it in a mobile broadband modem.

Premium Member

Thanks

Well, I hate to contradict you but it can and does as a friend uses a 'Crazy John' brand USB modem and it works for him and has done for some time.
    He came here today and tried my $2 SIM card and except for the annoyance of having to go up the yard to get a signal, he surfed the net on his Laptop using it and his own $2 'Dollar Day' card without any problems.
    Unfortunately it doesnt have an external antenna connection so we couldnt try it inside the house.
    We tried his SIM in the Huawei but it didnt accept it so back to square one I am afraid.
    I am wondering as his Dongle is from a '3rd Party retailer', it like the old 'Gold Cards' that used to get free PayTV, isnt 'Devise Sensative' as the others are.

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok, well that at least shows us that the sim is data enabled then.

That being the case and that you can connect a computer to the device (but not receivge data) and it registers bars of signal shows that it is connecting to the network, but no data is coming through. I found this trouble shooting guide for this modem.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

A. What can I do if the client connected to the E5 cannot access the Internet

1. Check and ensure that the client is properly connected to the E5.

2. Check the power status to ensure that the E5 is powered on.

3. Check the signal strength to ensure that the area is covered by the network.

4. Check that the network mode is correct. For details about network modes, see Mobile Network Settings on the web management page.

5. You must configure the correct peer-peer protocol (PPP) user name and PPP password when you access the Internet through the E5. Check whether the user name and the password are correct, and see Profile Management on the management page for details.

6. If the DHCP server is disabled and the client obtains the IP address dynamically, the device cannot access the Internet either. In this case, you need to change the mode to manually assign an IP address. See DHCP Settings on the management page.

7. Check that the network adapter of your client operates properly.

8. If the problem still persists, please consult your service provider.
    I would be putting it down to one of the ones I put in bold.

So its a matter of process of elimination.

1. Turn the device on with the sim card in it. Go to your computer and connect to the wireless network it creates.

2. If you cant do the above, connect it to your computer via USB cable.

Open your web browser window and type ( or ) ? Can you login to it ?

Premium Member

Thanks

Been there, Done that, first with the phone help line and 2nd at the Optus shop and sworn every step of the way but 'it donn wanna work noway............'
    Now the fact that NEITHER of the $2 'Dollar Day' SIMS worked in the Hauwei but both do in the 'Crazy Johns' says to me its possibly a 'Devise' oriented problem.
    We all know that a company like Huawei make devises for numerous Telco's and possibly when Optus got theirs, they stipulated certain parameters and these parameters allow Optus to designate certain controls not applicable in those others on the market, not unlike the parameters VAST has set for anyone wanting to sell devises to operate on their system.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast