Thread: PlayOn VS. XBMC + Navi-x

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default PlayOn VS. XBMC + Navi-x

I'm considering the purchase of PlayOn Lifetime currently $49.99. Looking for your 2c

I have installed PlayOn to a 24/7 PC and am receiving all GREEN eg bandwidth High (I'm on 1.4mb/s down adsl2 over VPN west-coast USA), CPU Max all good, etc. I've fired up the Xbox360 in the living room (hooked to primary TV) and can see the server, browse the PlayOn channels, etc. Good! Everything is playing nicely. Now, the install is unlicensed and unfortunately PlayOn no longer offer a trial or monthly subscription model which means I'm unable to test streams in the wild, though I expect it to work well based on the all GREEN system check. I can, however, see the folders/channels and content.

I would have expected more full episodes eg Kids channel say PBS Kids - and only maybe 6 full episodes to choose from, specific to a show. I don't expect the world for free, but did expect some additional content value in licensing PlayOn.

To contrast, I run XBMC with Navi-x plugin on a bedroom PC/TV and appear to be seeing nearly identical content eg PBS Kids, Comedy Central (whatever you can stream from their sites), and more.

So, I'm wondering where the value is in licensing PlayOn for $49.99 - when I can seemingly get the same content using XBMC+Navi-x. Is this the case? Mind you, PlayOn being served to the Xbox360 is nice in the sense that it's "Done" and (guessing) working - but at $49.99 I can easily build a Raspberri Pi, use a default remote from our Android phones or ipad, have a hell of a lot nicer interface using XBMC, etc.

Am I missing something here?

Having a 1 time $50 model is a bit weird - it's making me think dedicated streaming box ala Boxee or Roku 3@ $99 or Pi at comparable $50 (inclusive of SD+ MPEG-2 license key).

Eventually, I plan to subscribe to live streaming US channels using services like USTV Now . Can live streaming/ decent content be achieved using PlayOn and custom user scripts like Basic Cable - or Superusvox (donation) ?

Quite a few questions in there.. happy for observations or feedback of any sort.
    Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

allover (04-06-13)

3. Look Here ->