Thread: Can no longer pickup WiFi

Thanks

Default Can no longer pickup WiFi

Okay so I've been having this issue for about a week now. I have used WiFi on my desktop computer since I got it (over a year) but now suddenly it just will not pick up a signal. I have had to use an Ethernet cable instead. The WiFi broadcasting option is definitely enabled on my router but my computer is not picking it up, or any neighbours WiFi signals for that matter. Could it be that the WiFi adaptor is broken, or maybe something else?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You TOO ???
    I have been banging my head on the table with Wifi problems but I'd rather others better versed than me to suggest options for you because I will be reading with great interest..
    To get the best answers, OS in use, name of router, ADSL or wireless ? what brand computer etc.............

If as I found on an old Acer L/top that sort of 'Lost the Wifi', I removed the WiFi module and the drivers and I now use what they call an adaptor, it plugs into the USB and cost about $10 at the time.
    With a desktop you can disable the in built Wifi and use the adaptor instead I think, just as a thought, check that the Wifi on the desktop hasnt been disabled.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Bloody computer, Bloody Wifi, Bloody Internet,
    and now Bloody double postings.................aaaagghhh, its enough to drive one to drink but even the damned Pub is closed today................
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-06-13 at 01:55 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Check your computer's wireless settings. (not just your modem/router)

It sounds like your wireless setting on your computer is disabled (either selected that way or faulty).

Have you performed any windows etc updates or installed any new devices?

I recently installed a mobile broadband USB dongle and by default, it disabled my computer's wireless connection.

Thanks

Try This
    Open Start
    Run Device Manager
    Go down to network adapters
    Click on the one with the little danger sign
    Hit Disable
    Then Hit enable and Voila

Thanks

Device manager is an awesome tool. Disable then enable may work. If not, uninstall and see if your computer picks up the hardware again after a restart. If it doesn't then your wifi card could very well be dead, and you'll have to purchase a new one.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

If all else fails, do a System Restore on your computer to a time you know it was last working ...... (over a week ago ?)

(it may fix any computer software errors or changes that have occurred in the last week)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member

Thanks

My loss of WiFii was eventually found to be an AV room sender on 2.4Ghz that was interfering with the WiFi signal.
    In my previous post I realise now I gave the impression of no signal at all but that wasnt the case although my interpretation of the situation misled me to believe this was the problem.

I wonder what the outcome was in this instance, a faulty router, receiver or interference?

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (16-07-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

sometimes a reboot of the wifi modem will restore inability to connect.

Thanks

Try to restart your network card by going to Control Panel -> View network status and tasks -> Change adapter settings (left-side menu) -> right click the active adapter and select Disable. Wait for one minute, then right click it again and Enable it.

If this doesn't solve the problem, try contacting your ISP for further help, as the problem can sometimes be very specific and it may be technically impossible for the average user to fix it himself/herself.

Premium Member

Thanks

One problem here is the member has only one computer (?) and because of that he cant tell if his Computer's WFi has crashed or the Router's WiFi is dead.
    The quickest way I can think of is if he can arrange to access either a Laptop or Tablet and see if 'they' can detect the Routers WiFi.
    If it shows his 'network' is available with a good signal and if he has his encryption code available, he could connect to the router which would indicate a problem elsewhere such as the desktop.
    Obviously if no network is detected, check the router's settings and if that doesnt work, looks like a new router, doesnt it?
    This is where that WiFi Radar APP you can have on a tablet comes in handy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

If you have recently downloaded any Windows Updates check to see if any new drivers for the wifi were recently added. If so try removing these update and go back to a previous driver version.

I had the exact problem you describe on a laptop a couple of months back, and found a driver update had been pushed through. After going back to a previous version of the wifi driver all is good.

Worth a try. Google should indicate if others are having similar problems if it is the driver.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 17-07-13 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    One problem here is the member has only one computer (?)
    I see another problem the OP had only 1 post done more than a month ago and disappeared. I don't think OP cares unlike austech members.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Doesn't the OP and Gordon have the same IP address

Been a lot of this on here lately
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!