Thread: WiFi Data rate.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default WiFi Data rate.

After my recent problems with co frequency interference, the actual 'Data Rate' details have had me curious.
    I am sure the router is supposed to 'handle' 300 mbps but does it and what governs that rate.
    The desktop not 2 metres from the router shows a 'flow' of 150mbps but when looked at a L/top, it wasnt showing anywhere near that rate and neither 'rate' alters if that computer is the only one on line, so why the difference ?
    Its something I am grappling with but from what I have learnt since we went digital with television, signal strength is only a part of the equation, QUALITY or BER is the main factor so even though you may have a good signal reading, if the data flow is low it causes problems or is there something else I am missing?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Hopefully, these links will provide some useful information.

Concerning wifi connection speeds .

I couldn't find a review of the NetComm 3G18WV, but there is a useful review of the NetComm 3G18Wn at with signal strength and throughput tables, and other comments, which might expand your knowledge.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am sure the router is supposed to 'handle' 300 mbps but does it and what governs that rate.
    The desktop not 2 metres from the router shows a 'flow' of 150mbps but when looked at a L/top, it wasnt showing anywhere near that rate and neither 'rate' alters if that computer is the only one on line, so why the difference ?
    An 802.11g Wi-Fi device (2.4 GHz) in close proximity to a network router can onyl connect with a data rate of 54 Mbps maximal. For 802.11g, the defined ratings are (from highest to lowest)

54 Mbps
    48 Mbps
    36 Mbps
    24 Mbps
    18 Mbps
    12 Mbps
    9 Mbps
    6 Mbps

Similarly, old 802.11b (5 GHz) devices supported the following ratings

11 Mbps
    5.5 Mbps
    2 Mbps
    1 Mbps

Data rates up to 600 Mbps are achieved only with Wi-Fi 802.11n ( can be enabled in the 5 GHz mode, or within the 2.4 GHz mode ) and the use of four spatial streams using one 40 MHz-wide channel. See also:

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Very interesting and not what I expected at all to read about the data rate.
    This netcomm version they tested is almost identical to the one I have but has 2 antenna where I have one.
    There is also cosmetic differences and placement on the front panel of the display between the two but beyond that I would be surprised if to all intents and purposes, they arent identical.
    I too had hell's own job getting mine set up to the point where Netcomm had to do a 'Remote' and even that took them several minutes so except for changing channels on the WiFi I am not touching it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

tristen (03-07-13)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Very interesting and not what I expected at all to read about the data rate.
    Would you have named the type of Wi-Fi in use, I indeed could have saved my efforts ... Until now for me it's not obvious which type of Wi-Fi used.