Thread: Best Long Range Wireless Router

Thanks

Default Best Long Range Wireless Router

Hi guys want your advice on best long range wireless router out there. Have a long home with solid brick and timber walls here and there and no matter where I place modem wireless router, signal drops off dramatically in some areas. Any suggestions on a particularly good model out there? Cheers, Aflman

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yep, more than one Access Point

Last edited by ol' boy; 06-07-13 at 10:15 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Thanks I'm aware of WAP option but is there a better router out there so I don't have to go down that path?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just google reviews, then decide if you believe them.
    What is more important, is your mobile device.

Just remember, a WiFi connection is a 2-way street. Its one thing to have a strong WiFi Transmission, but can your Laptop/Tablet do the same?
    I have been down the path you are going, there is no such product that bridge pure physical limitations

The ability to connect a better antenna can help, position/location is always the key factor in any WiFi solution.
    Wall construction etc are big pifalls.

If it is too hard for you to run a wired backhaul, try a 150mps mains power bridge, they are a great solution for difficult installations.

In my findings using different equipment, some quoting "Long Range", is it is one thing to be be able to see the connection, its another completely for it to be a successful connection that doesn't drop packets, lose connection and generally be unreliable once you push the connection beyond simple browsing. ANd you only find that out after living with it for while.

Try Ubiquti Network products.

Last edited by ol' boy; 06-07-13 at 01:03 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

aflman (07-07-13),gavogr (06-07-13),mandc (06-07-13),tristen (06-07-13)

Thanks

Have a look for Zyxel.....150m range with no probs
    Android TV boxes: Nvidia Shield U Box 4K, Rickomagic 808b, Rickomagic 802
    Raspberry Pi 2, Ouya
    AZbox Premium , dm8000 , VU+ Duo, Ultra Plus 900 and other none Linux boxes

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I have been down the path of trying out long range wireless routers and I found some were better than others but I always have had problems in one room near the end of the house - not the most distant room as the crow flies but just a black hole for wireless. I ended up buying a netgear universal wireless range extender wn3000rp. Works an absolute treat, only have to reset it after a power cut. Your house sounds similar to mine so I would recommend the unit to you, JB or Dick Smith stock them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

aflman (07-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I had a look at the netgear range specificaly and got lost in the model numbers.
    JB HiFi were advertising 3 models but those numbers didnt coincide with another seller so that was confusing.
    Also apart from additional features and price, was there any difference in the range of the WiFi signal from each model?
    As I thought these 'extenders' (repeaters, really) were simple 'Pass Through' devises, why do you need to re encrypt to use them, doesnt the encryption from the Base apply ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    I have been down the path of trying out long range wireless routers and I found some were better than others but I always have had problems in one room near the end of the house - not the most distant room as the crow flies but just a black hole for wireless. I ended up buying a netgear universal wireless range extender wn3000rp. Works an absolute treat, only have to reset it after a power cut. Your house sounds similar to mine so I would recommend the unit to you, JB or Dick Smith stock them.
    Thanks mkhannah, i didn't even realise they had units with WiFi.
    Great solution, its what i do, just using a LAN - LAN unit.... Then again, i generally drop out into a 4-way WiFi Router in each wing or level, just using the 240v bridge as a backbone.

Great little product and fully movable. I'll keep them in mind.

Is it EoP or just a basic WiFi extender?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-07-13 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks

Thanks guys. Great info

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Thanks mkhannah, i didn't even realise they had units with WiFi.
    Great solution, its what i do, just using a LAN - LAN unit.... Then again, i generally drop out into a 4-way WiFi Router in each wing or level, just using the 240v bridge as a backbone.

Great little product and fully movable. I'll keep them in mind.

Is it EoP or just a basic WiFi extender?
    Got me there, think its just a wifi extender, you only get one unit in the box. It also has an Ethernet port. I have my router near the front of our home, the extender 2/3 the way down the house, and we get full coverage in and out of the house.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (06-07-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

EoP - Ethernet over Power

Its been a life saver in a few houses i could not run cables in, same houses also had 500mm thick solid block work walls, some core filled.
    So a simple EoP device can have 1 Sender unit and 1/2/3/4 Client units, you can then break out via Ethernet and do what ever you like, wired connections or into a AP/Router, what ever.

Last edited by ol' boy; 06-07-13 at 06:05 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    Just a heads up if anyone is thinking about buying one of these they are on special at the moment at Dick Smith for $69.