Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question to any Network Engineer - networking the house?

Thanks

Default A question to any Network Engineer - networking the house?

I am about to start building a new home and am going to be hardwiring my network pretty much to every room in the house (especially for LAN Parties).

I was recently told that I am supposed to get a certified network installer to wire up all the cables and that I'm not supposed to do this myself?

Now I'm not really sure if this is true because I am legally allowed to wire up anything that is under 48 volts of power (I am also installing an off-grid/on-grid hybrid solar system at 24 volts), so one would think that simple cat6 networking cables could be done by the home owner?

Just thought I might ask to get any thoughts on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Mate, just rough in the cables, worry about terminating later. Who the hell is going to know? My house is wired up in nearly every room for, network, phone and coax. I did it!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

You're correct.

Any 'fixed' data cabling is required to be installed by a registered cabler who must provide you with a certificate of compliance.

It's not just terminating, all cabling must be separated from other services etc and 'roughing it in' still requires a registered cabler to install it.

It's no different to the requirement for a licensed electrician for power, a licensed plumber, etc.

It's actually an offence with fines of up to $15,000.00 for unlicensed cabling.

I'm not the cabling police..... just telling you what the legal requirement is, seeing you asked.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

iStephendj (09-07-13)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iStephendj View Post
    I am about to start building a new home and am going to be hardwiring my network pretty much to every room in the house (especially for LAN Parties).
    You should plan a PowerLAN. It is the best choice: the household power supply transports the data to the appropriate adapter into the remotest corners of the home - wherever there are electrical outlets. Especially over longer distances PowerLAN is really more favourably than common WLAN technique.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

iStephendj (09-07-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

It's also wise to pre-wire for NBN.

It's easy at frame stage.

Totally disagree with LAN over power.

It may be favourable as a solution where you can't get cabling to easily in difficult retrofit situations, but when you have the opportunity to install data cabling, that's the best option.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (09-07-13),iStephendj (09-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's also wise to pre-wire for NBN.

It's easy at frame stage.

Totally disagree with LAN over power.

It may be favourable as a solution where you can't get cabling to easily in difficult retrofit situations, but when you have the opportunity to install data cabling, that's the best option.
    Flip. I Completely forgot about the NBN. Being in a new Estate, the NBN will be active so I should be having that from the get go. Cat6 Cabling should be ok for that shouldn't it?.. or is there a new tech out that I should install in its place?

Thanks for the info regarding installation. I think I will get my Neighbours help installing then. He's a Telstra certified installer so hopefully he is qualified for such a task.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I built new around 6 years ago and went out to the house a couple of nights in a row and ran RG6 and cat5 ? (cant remember exactly).

I made my own personal notes of all locations so when I moved in, I got a mate that does that sort of stuff for a living to just come around, gave him my wiring diagram and got him to terminate everything. It was easy for him, knock a hole in, do the job. It saved me a lot by buying cable rolls in bulk.

I would suggest you do same as a minimum. No one asks how cable gets in your wall

Thanks

Remember to run some surplus to where things might be in the future...
    That other species (Women) have the habit of moving things around then complain about the blue cable running around the skirting boards.
    Doesn't matter if it is behind plasterboard and you cannot see it, at least its there when you need it.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

• The Following User Says Thank You to autotuner For This Useful Post:

admin (09-07-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Flip. I Completely forgot about the NBN. Being in a new Estate, the NBN will be active so I should be having that from the get go. Cat6 Cabling should be ok for that shouldn't it?.. or is there a new tech out that I should install in its place?

Thanks for the info regarding installation. I think I will get my Neighbours help installing then. He's a Telstra certified installer so hopefully he is qualified for such a task.
    Cat6 is the standard for NBN.

There are specific requirements for NBN, including conduit sizes and draw strings, bend radius and maximum of two bends, mounting heights, etc.

Any licensed/registered cabler (eg: your Telstra neighbour) should know the requirements.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

michael_sa (09-07-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I was recently told that I am supposed to get a certified network installer to wire up all the cables and that I'm not supposed to do this myself?

Now I'm not really sure if this is true because I am legally allowed to wire up anything that is under 48 volts of power (I am also installing an off-grid/on-grid hybrid solar system at 24 volts), so one would think that simple cat6 networking cables could be done by the home owner?

Thanks in advance.
    I have been watching this thread for a while, just getting a gauge perhaps on where it was headed.
    mtv is correct, you are meant to be registered or whatever.
    In saying that, i am and have been since Cat5 first hit the shelves.....

Have i ever been checked.... NO
    Has anyone even asked to see my licence.... NO

Is knowing what to do more important than having a bit of paper that says you can.... Hell Yes!!

I'm not quite sure why the reasoning for the question, but you do sound like you could handle it.
    Go and have a quite read of some networking forums, but basically you will wiring a "Star Topography"
    And nothing could be easier!!!!

As a rule of thumb these days, where ever i run an RG6 for TV and or Pay TV, i drag a few Cat 6 cables with them (4 is good, but its really up to your needs)
    Put your "Hub" in a central location, in a cupboard or flush mount or somewhere accessible.
    Run your ADSL lead-in from the Central Filter.
    And as mtv said, keep both Data and TV away from 240v cabling!!! meaning running parallel with for a duration, crossing over isn't so bad.

Apart from that.... start dragging spaghetti in until it looks like a Telstra Exchange
    There is no such thing as too many Data points

HINT: It gets messy really fast, make sure you follow a GOOD labelling system from the start, i even use different coloured Cat6 for different tasks. You may find you pull in provisional cabling that may never get used, so really label things well.

If you are looking at a complex network, then maybe leave it to your Electrician or other qualified person.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-07-13 at 04:24 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

porkop (09-07-13),shagga66 (11-07-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Another point to consider.

Many builders won't allow tradies other than their own contractors on site (except mandatory ones like power & gas company workers, etc) let alone the client wanting to perform unlicensed cabling.

Most don't really care what you do, but they knock you back because of OH&S risks and insurance.

Thanks

I ran mine through my house when building, you can make your own cables and and run across the floor in your house and that's OK, but make the same cable and run through a wall and you need a cable tech to install, come on.....sorry, one of the stupid laws.
    keep away from power and antenna and its all sweet

Premium Member
    Thanks

Why keep away from antenna?

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I agree....why? I installed Cisco 1300 series bridges and they required RG6 and also usually had a Cisco 1200 series wireless AP installed below which used CAT5/6 and I just ran both I the same run. All legit.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Overkill. I just kept it away from everything. .. was told may cause interference.

Shagga

Premium Member
    Thanks

I guess that is optimal, but in the real world of wiring, it is often very hard and/or not practical to achieve those results.
    Anything with an EMF should be given separation.
    I would think there is no measurable EMF from a shielded RG6 Antenna cable or similar.

I purposely run them together to keep them away from 240v cabling.

If you were going to be that fussy as too keep Data separate from TV, then you should probably keep each Data separate from each other
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

shagga66 (12-07-13)

Thanks

Thanks in advance.

I wish I knew about networking the house so then I could tell you about it and share my experience. My only advice would be to rough in the cables, I do this all the time and it seems to work, hope this answers your question!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

For network/data/telephone cabling, you need to have an ACMA (Australian Communications & Media Authority) licence. This has been the case for many years now. See the ACMA website .

While cabling a new or existing home for network use might seem simple to the initiated, there many traps and pitfalls for the inexperienced.

If you intend doing it yourself, read a good text on the practicalities of network cabling and installation. There is more involved than to simply "rough in the cables". Where and where not to lay them are important considerations if you wish to have a reliable, interference-free and fast local area network.

Obtain, read and understand the relevant regulations - they are practical and necessary if you wish to do the job properly and to a high standard.

Thanks

For network/telephone cable, you need to have a ACMA liscense. This has always been the case for many years and is strictly required.

Thanks

I would be tempted to have at least a couple of cable runs each room, and say 4-6 in living rooms where media equipment may be, or may be in the future. Reason why I suggest this is having a dozen little network switches in each room could be annoying given they take up a power point, have a dc power supply (point of failure IMHO) etc. just my uneducated option. Also, I wouldn't be surprised is all your tvs in the not so far future will be running iptv of some sort as rf based FTA dies in this country. Hence the need for at least two network outlets per room.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast