Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The end of Windows XP?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Here is a question........if, after the 2014 deadline, I decided to make up a computer which I wanted to load XP on it, as I would still have the installation CD, would after install, it still get all the service packs and updates, to date or will Micro$oft just stop access to those already available updates? If the answer is yes, can I download all these updates for offline installation at a time of my choosing???

Thanks

Check the program at the link below, it might be useful.

Only whilst updates are available.
    Last edited by mickstv; 28-07-13 at 08:09 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (06-02-14),porkop (28-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

It is handy for me having a XP based computer as have a number of communications radios which need very old software to program them.

One radio I'm messing about with was about in the days of Windows 98, the programming software is DOS based and runs fairly well on my XP computer.

I pay for a virus scanner so hopefully that will keep the bugs out. Fingers crossed.

XP does everything I need and see no reason to upgrade this computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Landytrack View Post
    It is handy for me having a XP based computer
    One day that computer will be dead together with all the valuable applications you have.
    I went different way, instead of keeping my old laptop I use VMs with XP installed. Also it makes very easy process to have the VM image backed up and stored elsewhere.

Premium Member

Thanks

Must admit I had to find out what a VM is, certainly a possibility. Don't know to much about the subject and is something to keep in mind. On the other hand this computer is ageing and time will come when it is retired.

Hopefully by the time it eventually dies which computers do in the end the radios themselves will no longer be in use.

Thanks

VM stands for Virtual Machine. Certainly do a search and you will find plenty of information around. Frankly saying it's an application that runs on your PC which simulates another PC and lets you install a different operating system (XP for example) using your host computer hardware.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    lets you install a different operating system (XP for example) using your host computer hardware.
    Requires you have an image of the OS (XP for example).

How To (XP only):

Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 19-09-13 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Requires you have an image of the OS (XP for example).

How To (XP only):

Useless suggestion, for VM anyway.
    You use image to simplify system deployment across multiple identical PCs. You still need to install it first time manually on the reference machine, create the image and then use it for deployment.
    The beauty of VM is you install it once on the first VM and then simply create as many copies of the VM disk as you like with different applications running for example.

Banned

Thanks

Useless suggestion, for VM anyway.
    Can quite be.

My experience is (I'm using Oracle VM VirtualBox to virtualize some Linux distributions on my desktop PC) if it comes to software-based virtualization a disk image previously created is used. Such an ISO image then is mounted as CD/DVD drive. For example, the DVD image of a Linux distribution can be downloaded and used directly by VirtualBox.

Perhaps we are speaking of two different things ...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

One day that computer will be dead together with all the valuable applications you have.
    I went different way, instead of keeping my old laptop I use VMs with XP installed. Also it makes very easy process to have the VM image backed up and stored elsewhere.
    Ive got now 5 motherboards and two laptops, all with physical com ports , stored in a cool dry place in those plastic bags you can seal with a vacuum cleaner.
    I am sure I'll be dead first.

I sometimes use VMs but not all internal and external (non USB) hardware is correctly addressed(or very difficult) and there are performance issues.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    It is not about Microsoft support for XP. The 64bit edition will be supported until 2016.

Hardware vendors have discontinued driver support for XP years ago, that IS the problem !

Practically all the special applications I need Windows for, do not, I repeat: DO NOT work on later edtions of Windows. I regret the waste of time trying to get things working on Windows 8.

So my solution was to grab a bunch of the last good multicore 64 bit motherboards and graphics that DO have XP supported drivers so I can continue to use a PC for professional applications until I am dead.
    When it comes down to actual performance XP is faster than later editions of windows on these boards that have drivers up to windows 7. I am talking here video rendering and many stacked VST instruments running parallel in an audio production.

For general home computing(browsing, multimedia) Windows is becoming obsolete IMO and for home office, XP has always performed more than sufficient.

As for the USB port everything is going wireless these days. There will be a time one day where I wish we still had the USB port just like today where I damn all computer companies for ditching the COM port on laptops. Yeah, its got to be all thinner, WTF.
    Windows XP 64 was a unfished product with the worse hardware vendor support. You would have better luck with a Linux distro..

Your special applications are to blame not the OS, and its more the likely these application developers don't have the ability to code for a modern OS.

In regards to XP performing better, you could not be more wrong, plenty of documentation to back me up on that too.

Good luck with your solution, When the rest of the world is enjoying data transfer speeds to external devices 20-100 times faster then usb3

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renames View Post
    Windows XP 64 was a unfished product with the worse hardware vendor support. You would have better luck with a Linux distro..

Your special applications are to blame not the OS, and its more the likely these application developers don't have the ability to code for a modern OS.

In regards to XP performing better, you could not be more wrong, plenty of documentation to back me up on that too.

Good luck with your solution, When the rest of the world is enjoying data transfer speeds to external devices 20-100 times faster then usb3
    Dude, it is not all about data transfer rates but having to purchase new software to match the new hardware every 2-3 years, that basically does the same as the old ones but with more bloat and fancy GUI but sometimes had features removed that I need, or the application does not even exist any more.

Of course the OS is to blame + the new cheaper to produce hardware. New OS's are focussed on main stream users that bring profit with pretty stuff for your internet, Facebook, multimedia and maybe Office experience, which all strangely now requires at least a quad core system with 16GB of RAM.
    Why would they bother keeping compatibility for a handful of electronic nerds or other nutters who persistently keep diverting from the sheep trail with their awkward hardware interfacing and other weird contraptions not necessarily made for profit.
    Would make the new OS and hardware too expensive with nothing earned.

Anyhow I have no problem running 16 VST instruments on an audio setup with Win XP, while on Win 7 it starts to crackle with 10 instruments, no matter what I do with the ASIO.
    Same hardware, same setup !
    So YOU could not be more wrong ! ... and I have personal EXPERIENCE to back it up, not some generalised opinions posted on some smart-arse website.

Yes, I use Linux where I can and that is the most of the time on newer machines, but I have not yet found a reason to keep Windows 8 on them so I deleted it again after it annoyed me too much although it looked pretty.

Please tell me an application where I need data transfer rates that are 20-100 faster than USB3 especially with my Telstra copper ADSL that gives me between 1 and 5Mbit/s at the most.

Our future with FTTN will not change too much about that, unless I become suddenly wealthy and can afford $10,000 or more out of my pocket for infrastructure that is normally publicly owned, like streets, sewerage and telephone lines(until somebody stole them from the public to make profit).
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-11-13 at 05:51 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I'm impressed Microsoft has supported Windows XP as long as it has. There have been three major operating systems from Microsoft since then. Companies that are still relying on Windows XP in 2014 have had ample time to upgrade their computers. I don't feel sorry for them at all. I wonder how long Windows 8 will have support for? If it's similar to Windows XP, probably all the way until the 2020's.

Thanks

Windows XP should run fine for now. If you can upgrade, it's the best choice short of purchasing a new computer. I'm sad to hear that the USB port is going out of style, as well. I don't miss our floppy disks, but every time we change over plugs and storage devices I inevitably end up losing data I wouldn't die without because I don't take the time to save it elsewhere to save it. I was hopeful that the ease of use of the USB plug would keep it popular for an extended time, looks like that may not be happening

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

What's this about usb ports going out of style?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    What's this about usb ports going out of style?
    That comment was actually more in regard to tablet devices.

The standard USB will be out of style when PCs and laptops are out of style, one day in the not so distant future.

People don't seem to connect much to their computer today and when they do it is with Wifi or blue tooth or file transfer through the net.
    I agree that having one single printer in the house connected to your router is more sensible than having to replace ink in 5 different printers in every room and wireless headphones are surely comfortable.
    However I am not happy with having all my files in a cloud on somebody else's computer somewhere in the world (being old fashioned I prefer a USB stick or Hard drive) but that is where it is all going.

So I suppose, unless you are a some kind of geek (like me) who needs to connect weird hardware contraptions, receivers, midi ports, external sound cards, etc or still use a classic DSLR and a proper mouse, USB is already getting a bit out of style even on a Laptop.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

viewer (04-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

im with you there
    i started in the 98- xp change over
    i even bought it originally
    it'll run on a 1ghz system with 512 ram, you cant do that with 7 or 8 or vista or 8.1
    and 1 thing i'll give xp, you point docs to another partition, thats it
    try it with the new ones, it takes forever to sort it out
    no matter how many times you turn updates off, its on again on reboot
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Hill View Post
    I wonder how long Windows 8 will have support for? If it's similar to Windows XP, probably all the way until the 2020's.
    Lifecycle of Windows 8 started 30-10-2012, Servicepack support ends 12-01-2016, Mainstream-support ends 09-01-2018. Same is valid for Windows 8.1

Thanks

My employer still uses Windows XP and I doubt they would bother switching over just from lack of updates. Same goes for many others probably. It's just too much of a hassle.

Thanks

Almost all of the local hospitals in my area are using XP and alot of different banks use Windows XP Embedded for their ATM's so I don't think XP is dead QUITE yet. Mostly because the new OS's just don't have the amount of compatibility that XP does or run on slower systems and it's just cheaper to stay on XP anyway.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I recall these discussions going around when each version of M$ OS was released. Heck I even used DOS 2.1 right up until I got my first Windoze system and that was W3.1 'cause I used much the same arguments as here.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast