Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The end of Windows XP?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I recall these discussions going around when each version of M$ OS was released. Heck I even used DOS 2.1 right up until I got my first Windoze system and that was W3.1 'cause I used much the same arguments as here.
    Not really. I started with DOS 3.3 and I was licking my fingers with every version upgrade.

In fact I paid even more money to be first in town to get WIN95 before it was officially released in my area! ...and don't even ask what I paid for the 8MB of memory to get kick-ass performance.
    I had the shop open up other computers late at night to pull out all the sticks I needed.

The first time these discussions became eminent was with WinXP and it's compatibility issues.
    Until then pretty much all past functionality could coexist with real improvements and added new functionality.
    Today every new version is just streamlined for mainstream users and methods to collect user data and behaviour and avoid piracy or even avoiding people to look at other operating systems(WIN8 secure boot BIOS override is just a pain in the butt).

Past functionality is scrapped because the minorities who need this, don't bring enough profit compared to the effort required to keep compatibility.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I think that Microsoft is making the right choice on this one. Discontinuing updates doesn't mean it will cease to work for specialized applications that only run on it. It just forces people who don't really understand technology to use a later, more secure form of Windows. This helps protect the average user as well as ensure modern apps work on every computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samkostka View Post
    I think that Microsoft is making the right choice on this one. Discontinuing updates doesn't mean it will cease to work for specialized applications that only run on it. It just forces people who don't really understand technology to use a later, more secure form of Windows. This helps protect the average user as well as ensure modern apps work on every computer.
    That is true. I'm just not sure how many will truely end up making the switch. The Local high schools just switched to 7 from XP just last year in my area. I really doubt though that ANY business likes Windows 8 right now, it's just not built for work it's built for normal consumers not techies or business people.. XP will be around for quite awhile I feel..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

I recently had to do a reinstall of XP Pro for a neighbour.
    I had all the service packs but it took days to download all the subsequent patches.
    As I will have to do another one soon, I don't want to go through that again.
    Does anyone know if there is a single download containing all the patches from SP3 to current?
    Thanks
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

just dont bother, really
    even win 7 is same now
    unless you work for the fbi i doubt anybody is trying to hack you
    im all updated out
    i dont get hacked?
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I still have machines running EX PEE and both have been re-loaded in the last few months. Mostly, I just "set, and forget". i.e. I load XP (SP3 slipstreamed) connect it to the 'net and let it "do it's thing". Can't recall how long the whole process took but was certainly way under 24 hrs. I agree, though, Bibl... it would be great if M$ as a parting gift produced a SP 4 for XP so that the process would be as painless as possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

Exactly, these people have no wish to change to a later version of Windows as they are seniors who are just comfortable with what they've got.
    They are also running minimal systems with 512 MBs of RAM so hardware upgrades for later versions is another concern.
    I myself have an XP system just to be able to keep using some old peripheral devices for which no drivers are available for later versions.

I agree with Phil, my Win 7 system gets almost daily upgrades.
    Last edited by Bibliophile; 01-02-14 at 01:55 PM.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Thanks

Default All XP Updates since sp3

the program linked in #21 will build an iso that can be burned to cd or dvd for use on any machine any time
    and if you get the April 2014 updates then you have it all
    Last edited by osczzzz; 06-02-14 at 04:42 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osczzzz For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (06-02-14),lsemmens (06-02-14)

Thanks

This is a very sad news because I personally like Windows XP. Windows 7 is the only Windows operating system that is similar to Windows XP. Windows XP is very easy to use and doesn't have much virus like Windows Vista does. Plus, I have found that Window XP doesn't freeze as much as most of the Windows OS.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Actually, panda, the virus issue is consistent across all OS's the only real difference is the user base, and their security settings. XP can be just as Virus Prone as Vista, W7 or 8, heck even Mac users and Linux users can fall victim to virii, it's just that they do not get the same attention as Windoze does. As for freezes, many times, the problem is not so much the OS, but those of drivers, which is where Vista "failed" in that they stopped supporting legacy devices, W7 is almost as bad for the same reason, but...I find W7 the most stable OS that M$ has produced. That said, I have yet to work with W8.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123