Thread: 100MB internet speed

Thanks

Default 100MB internet speed

At my place I have contracted 100MB net speed, so they say, but when I go to speedtest.com I get a 75MB with the cable and only 10MB wireless. Any ideas why this is happening?

Look Here ->
    Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Exchange speed?
    My ISP's terms say that the advertised speeds are at the exchange only, further away you live from the exchange slower speeds can be.

Thanks

What Jma is saying is spot on. The closer you are to the towers the better your line speed. Your ISP doesn't always give you full speed. So maybe when you were testing your speed they were actually throttling your speed. However I still feel that 75MB is quite fast. In South Africa our fastest line is 10MB line and its price is not affordable at all for the middle class. I wish i could have you speed. Oh the possibilities would be so amazing.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caparica007 View Post
    At my place I have contracted 100MB net speed, so they say, but when I go to speedtest.com I get a 75MB with the cable and only 10MB wireless. Any ideas why this is happening?
    You need to provide more info.

It sounds like you are using a router, plugged into a modem. If so, it might be the max wan throughput of the router is 75MB.

Are you on fibre or cable? If on fibre, try plugging your laptop straight into the NTD and connecting that way. Then do a speed test.

The wireless speeds will come down to either the routers wireless card and or your laptop wireless card, one or both sounds like they need updating.

• The Following User Says Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

caparica007 (16-07-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I remember years ago, where I was working they were carrying out throughput testing on 10mb network cards and found the most you could download was roughly 6.5mb/s!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

On wireless or optical fibre I cant see why distance should effect the speed of the download but what I would be happier to believe is there are too many using the system and it gets congested.
    With Wireless we are sharing it with all sorts of devises and during 'Peak' times, this has to have an effect on the Data flow.
    Correct me if I am wrong but its my understanding that everything comes in 'bursts' or 'groups' not in a continuous stream so depending on how many are using the system regulates the passage of the Data so everyone has a 'Fair Share' of the 'stream'.
    Then depending on the site your accessing, how busy are they, are they running at full speed or like Centrelink last week, 'experiencing Issues'......................

For those outside OZ, Centrelink is the department run by the Australian Government dealing with Pensions, Benefits, Unemployment etc and for 7 days they were 'Experiencing Issues' and their site was down.
    I did a speed test on my wireless connection and amazingly it tells me I am mostly at Camberwell in Victoria or on occasions some where just north of Brisbane, damn I get about.........
    For clarity I am around 160kms west of Sydney, the other 2 are near a 1000 ks away as the crow flies......
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Your speed is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

You go and download a file from a website that only had a 256K adsl link to the internet, you can not expect to see your full speed from this site.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (13-07-13),Tiny (13-07-13)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Use FTP ( File Transfer Protocol) i.e. servers which provide this, to download files from. As the name already implies, always faster than HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol) transmission which you use to read newspapers, etcetera on the net.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What I want is a connection that I can watch a video from sites such as Youtube etc and not have the bloody thing run for 3 seconds and buffer for 7.
    Even opening news clips on Yahoo News can be frustrating waiting for it to run, if it does.
    Going Wireless and a new computer I hoped would reduce this problem and while it is immensely better than when I was on Satellite with the now dead computer, it still BUFFERS !!!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-07-13 at 06:00 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    What I want is a connection that I can watch a video from sites such as Youtube etc and not have the bloody thing run for 3 seconds and buffer for 7.
    If you use FireFox browser then install SmartVideo For YouTube (SmartBuffer) Add-On

Pro:
    When watching a video you'll never be interrupted by buffering again.

Con:
    You always have to wait a moment when invoking a video to the fun begins

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (23-10-13),RGS (13-07-13),Tiny (13-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Exchange speed?
    My ISP's terms say that the advertised speeds are at the exchange only, further away you live from the exchange slower speeds can be.
    I really have no idea what is exchange speed. Is it where the signal comes from?

Thanks

Yes, I'm connected with a router on fibre. Used to be cable and I had only 10MB speed, I changed to fibre and saw no changes with the wireless, so I connected the laptop with the cable as yes it's faster, but not much faster. I'm becoming to realize that my major speed problem is not the internet speed, the thing is, I'm still using Windows XP on a 2006 laptop and possibly need a new computer

Quote Originally Posted by warbo View Post
    You need to provide more info.

It sounds like you are using a router, plugged into a modem. If so, it might be the max wan throughput of the router is 75MB.

Are you on fibre or cable? If on fibre, try plugging your laptop straight into the NTD and connecting that way. Then do a speed test.

The wireless speeds will come down to either the routers wireless card and or your laptop wireless card, one or both sounds like they need updating.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I really have no idea what is exchange speed. Is it where the signal comes from?
    Yeah it's basically a physical routing point ISPs send/receive data to/from where it's split off to individual networks/customers.
    Often the local telephone exchange I think, though that may be wrong.

My plan speed is supposed to be 20 MB down & 1 up, but I never get that.
    Reading through the terms of the contract they say those speeds are guaranteed at the exchange but speeds to consumers can vary depending on certain factors, one they mentioned was distance from the exchange, further away usually the slower the speeds will be.
    That's still on a copper landline connection though, not sure about wireless & fibre.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Yes, I'm connected with a router on fibre. Used to be cable and I had only 10MB speed, I changed to fibre and saw no changes with the wireless, so I connected the laptop with the cable as yes it's faster, but not much faster. I'm becoming to realize that my major speed problem is not the internet speed, the thing is, I'm still using Windows XP on a 2006 laptop and possibly need a new computer
    What are the wireless/LAN specs of your computer?

Thanks

very useful information. thanks a lot for this.

thanks

Thanks

check your hardware it might affect the speed example your router. check the specs of it

Thanks

If you are using Windows to do a high speed test, Windows' crook (even in Windows 8) TCP/IP stack often causes speed issues. I've had Windows 7 react quite badly to the 3ms my EOP adaptors inserted and it took a manual tweak of the RWIN setting to bring things back to normal.

Speedguide's makes it easy if you aren't familiar with registry editing.