Thread: Meed help installing TTS igo primo 2.4 on Android

Thanks

Default Need help installing TTS igo primo 2.4 on Android

I was having problems with my Android Phone and it got to a point where I had to reset back to factory defaults, Obviously this meant that after the reset I had to reinstal all the applications. Including GPS Software.

I am currently running iGO Primo (2.4) Israel 9.6.29.390522 Android - 28 April 2014 (english)

I managed to get this running in fullscreen using the backup sys.txt settings file I had made. The only problem is I can't work out how to get Text To Speech Installed on the Android. In the Android setup under settings > Voice input and output > TTS settings Install voice data is blanked out. Where normally the one installed in IG primo would show up there.

On the SD card I have the two TTS files installed in the \iGO\Content\voice folder. Yet only the natural voices show up. TTS Pro is blanked out.
    Voice_TTS_Pro-eng-au-Android 202.zip and Voice_TTS_Pro-eng-au-Android ver B.zip

Any help to get TTS working again would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-05-14 at 09:20 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

For TTS, Primo uses whatever voice engine is installed under Android Settings/Language & input/Text-to-speech output. Primo does not control what shows up here. If you don't have a TTS engine installed the TTS voices in the voice folder won't be available to select. Try installing Ivona text to speech from Google Play and then download the voice/s of your choice. At the moment they are free. Then set it up as the default TTS engine and you should be good to go.

Cheers, Ian
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!

Thanks

My android had PICO TTS

From android settings

Install voice data
    Google play
    Speech Synthesis Data Installer (Android TextToSSpeech)
    Installing voice data on SD Card (from google play)

Picco TTS Settings says English (US and UK), French, Italy Germany & Spain installed.
    Listen to an example in android setting works fine for test.

Just that when I go to Sound and Warning settings > Voice language IGO Primo. No TTS voices shows up.

are there setting in IGO SYS.TXT or other places that need to be enabled?

Thanks

There can be many reasons why the voices won't show up. If the details in the info.ini file within the voices .zip file are not correct then the voice may not show up. Try the following:

Make the following changes in TTS_voice.zip > info.ini
    tts_langname="eng"
    tts_engine="Android TTS"

Then see if the TTS voice will show up. Make sure you have a backup before modifying the .zip file.

You could also try adding this to your sys.txt. If you already have a [tts] section, just edit that section as required.

[tts]
    automatic_direction_conversion=1
    announce_exit_directions=1
    always_say_road_names=3
    announce_street_name=1
    skip_exit_numbers=1
    tts_buffer=131072
    tts_logics=3
    priority="HIGH"

Cheers, Ian

Thanks

Thanks for your help.

Ended up installing IVONA TTS and IVONA Nicole Australian English Beta voice. Then enabeling it under Android Text-to=speech settings.

No idea why I couldn't get the derfault Picco TTS working but Niocole does sound alot better having a real Australian voice. Compared to the bundled generic standard Android TTS voice I was using previously.
    Last edited by Greg; 11-05-14 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

Yes the bundled TTS voices are a bit of a hit and miss affair. Under Android 4.4.2 the default package is Google TTS and there are many voices both low and high quality that can be installed. However it does not matter what voice you have selected under Android TTS settings you will find that the default horribly accented US voice is always used by Primo. Very disappointing as the other English high quality voices are very good.

Cheers, Ian

Thanks

I was using IVONA TTS and IVONA Nicole Australian English voice installed on my low end android phone. Was working fine for the past few months. The other day it just expired on me me whilst I was out on the road. Just kept repeatedly saying trial has expired and to update via google play store.

Of course I didn't see any updates available on play. Just what looks like the same beta version I already have installed. Unless someone can direct me to a version that doesn't expire.

I ended up having to go back to the bundled PICCO TTS voice. Which I finally managed to get working. Although not as good as the Ivona voice.

You just need to install this version of the AU voice file which is the compatible version for iGO Primo (2.4) 9.6.29.390522.
    Last edited by Greg; 31-08-14 at 12:05 PM.