Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Express - Map Loading problems?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Cool Garmin Express - Map Loading problems?

If like me you have Garmin Lifetime map updates & have been using GarminMapUpdater with no problems; then was prompted to install the New Garmin Express & now can't get Garmin Express to download & install your maps successfully!!

Relieve the frustration, by uninstalling Garmin Express & installing Garmin Map Updater from, , if you don't already have it. Worked first time for me after several failed attempts with GE.

BTW you're not alone; hundreds of people worldwide are having problems with Garmin Express & of course some are not, so hopefully their software developers will come up with a fix soon. Also hope they add in the option to load maps to PC as well like in MapUpdater.

Last edited by Tiny; 23-08-13 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ertcrueystewa (20-05-14),uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Garmin Express works on the new models with Navteq mapping and the Garmin MapUpdater works with the old models.

New Garmin models are sub-standard amateurish rubbish. Cannot believe they are so poorly made with disgusting software. So much of what should function and did function in the old models doesn't function in the new models. The software is so buggy is disgusting.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lineland For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    Garmin Express works on the new models with Navteq mapping and the Garmin MapUpdater works with the old models.

New Garmin models are sub-standard amateurish rubbish. Cannot believe they are so poorly made with disgusting software. So much of what should function and did function in the old models doesn't function in the new models. The software is so buggy is disgusting.
    Here you are again, Bullshit both Garmin Express & MapUpdater work on new models, you obviously haven't tried.
    You're probably confusing Garmin Map Updater with Garmin Map Install, they are not the same program.
    The problem I had with Garmin Express is that it updated everything on my 2597LMT, except the Map, it kept stopping the Map Download at 16%.
    So did a quick search & found that Garmin recommend, until they can patch the Garmin Express Software so it works on all PC setups & OS, (which they are working on), to use Garmin Map Updater for Map Updates.

If you don't like Garmin GPS why did you buy one??
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-08-13 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

For those people out there that have Lifetime Map Updates; Garmin Express latest version (2.3.14.0) is now working excellently to download & install maps & secondary file updates to GPS.
    They have also added in the option to Garmin Express to load maps to PC as well, like in MapUpdater.
    This option is found in the download map update, under advanced options, install to Device & PC.
    The option will install BaseCamp as well to view the map.
    Map also viewable in MapSource.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

The latest version of Garmin Express 3.1.8.0 has now had the option to install map to PC as well as device removed, bummer hadn't noticed when this occurred or in which version.
    They didn't leave the option in for long. It was only added in about 6 months ago as per my last post.

Edit2; Apparently not as per the next post, not sure why it doesn't show up on my version with CNAUNZ, will investigate further next rainy day.

No big deal I guess. Although I do from time to time like to check if they changed anything on the PC. There are other options for that.

For anyone who wants to retro load the older version, it's here.

You just have to completely uninstall the new version, then install & prevent the old one from updating itself automatically.

Edit; Sorry that link just takes you to a page to download the latest version, however if you scroll down there are older versions listed.

Don't think I'll bother just use instead.
    Last edited by Tiny; 13-05-14 at 09:24 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Thanks

They haven't actually removed it from GarminExpress, it's just in a different place. I think it changed with the 2.3 update. Previously this is where it was with V2.2, under Device>Advanced:

Now with the latest versions it's in Updates>Map Update>Show Details:

Then press 'Advanced Options':

It's still in MapUpdater too which i prefer to use frankly:

I have the feeling that the only reason WebUpdater and MapUpdater are still around is because GE has been so buggy for them. The bug-fix updates were coming daily for a while and they haven't even been bothering to make the changelogs easily available either. I've heard that 3.1.9.0 is available now, but the official Garmin link is only offering me v3.1.8.0:
    Code:
    http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hmm, interesting the advanced options did not come up on mine this time as it had done before.
    I opened up details to look for it however not there.

It may be that W8.1 recentlyupdated to the W8.1 update OS, so when I opened GE it started as if a new install & had to re-register my devices..
    I'll have a look next time, map installed now.

Thx for looking into it.
    Cheers, Tiny

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Thanks

I'm using Win 8.1 too, and i can't remember if GE had to be re-installed, but maybe it did. I actually am a little suspicious of this 'all in one/one stop shop' bit of software. I see where they wanted to go with it, so that the average inexperienced/time-poor bloke-in-the-street could update everything in one fell swoop. And that's fair enough if they had got it right before releasing it. I've personally had to unbrick at least half a dozen devices that wouldn't boot after updating with GE. Garmin blames ppl for disconnecting mid-update, but in the case of a couple of close friends [who's reports i do trust] they say the unit just wouldn't fully boot afterwards even though it was allowed to complete and then diconnected safely from the PC. The problem is that often they've updated many things at once i.e. firmware gupdate.gcd file, maps, voices, vehicles, text maybe, who knows ['cos they usually don't for sure]. So there's no way to determine which file(s) might be the problem. Easier to either delete the lot or just reformat after cure fw is loaded and start again. I think Garmin's copped a flogging worldwide over GE because so many units have been bricked after using it. But it has some nice features so eventually if they get it right i'll reconsider it as a viable alternative to WU & MU.

Garmin has been fiddling with it for ages now and still keeps the updates coming thick 'n' fast. I reckon it was still deep Alpha when they released it, i guess it's out of Beta now.... maybe?

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Nope, still not there. No advanced options.

I guess I'll have to do a clean reinstall. Next rainy day.

Garmin Express was definitely buggy when I first used it in August last year as per Post#1. Would not even download the map, however managed to update software without a problem.
    Then in October it all came good as per Post#4.

Will keep trying it on the next update & see what happens, hope I won't need your help to unbrick my GPS.
    Last edited by Tiny; 13-05-14 at 09:45 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Thanks

I'd hadn't actually read all of the thread [no need to really, everywhere experienced ppl like you found it buggy but slowly improving].

Try GE with your 2597 actually connected to see if it then offers 'Advanced Options'.

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    I'd hadn't actually read all of the thread [no need to really, everywhere experienced ppl like you found it buggy but slowly improving].

Try GE with your 2597 actually connected to see if it then offers 'Advanced Options'.
    I did, no different.
    I'll do a clean reinstall another day & see what happens.
    Cheers, Tiny

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Thanks

Tiny, Version 3.2.4.0 is reportedly out but I'm not offered it from the usual GE dl link, but i can now get 3.1.9.0. Maybe the later are regional bug fix versions only and selective about who can download. Then again: Garmin is SO Garmin!

Still i'm given advanced options with 3.1.9.0 though, might be worth you trying it. PS: It's p*ssing down up here ....

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Thanks

I may have the partial answer Tiny. Don't bother trying an uninstall of GE if you haven't already. This seems to be a unique problem with AUNZ CN updates. That's what being said elsewhere anyway, and also that it may not be a problem with WinXP. I'm going to do some checks with Win7_64 and WinXP_32. On my Win8.1_64 i can't get the gmap folder either for an AU device in either GE or MU:

If you've got XP available to you maybe try it too as i may take awhile to get around to it.

EDIT: False alarm on the WinXP workaround, that apparently did work for getting the gmap folder a couple of versions back, but not now. So it's looking like a bug maybe, but a bl**dy persistent one. I can't understand why Garmin haven't fixed this if it's not intentional on their part though.

EDIT #2: It's a few hrs and a bit later than above edit. Been looking at the official Garmin forum and it seems there are problems in NA as well but with the new 2015.10. What is Garmin up to ffs? I wonder if they ever test anything properly themselves at times. There'll be bricked devices, my bet is it'll be pulled there. Seems worse than what's happening with AUNZ. I'll try to get the NA 2015.10 later [using a nuvi clone of course] and see what happens.
    Code:
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?86412-Problems-updating-to-CN-NA-2015-10&p=299280#post299280
    Last edited by Surething; 18-05-14 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add edit #2. [edit #1 @ 1.27pm 18 May]

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (19-05-14),uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    Tiny, Version 3.2.4.0 is reportedly out but I'm not offered it from the usual GE dl link, but i can now get 3.1.9.0. Maybe the later are regional bug fix versions only and selective about who can download. Then again: Garmin is SO Garmin!

Still I'm given advanced options with 3.1.9.0 though, might be worth you trying it. PS: It's p*ssing down up here ....
    Thanx for looking into GE for us, just spent 2 days in the saddle moving cattle up into the highlands, not pissing down , however intermittent & persisting precipitation both days.

Just updated GE to see what I get. Looks like I got 3.2.4.0
    Cheers, Tiny

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Thanks

I've just worked it out. Garmin is just SO bl**dy Garmin! If you download from the web link you can only get 3.1.9.0 for some stupid reason, I just wasted another 30.5MB downloading it again from there. But when you update from within the program by clicking 'Check for application updates', it installs 3.2.4.0.

I think they just enjoy messing with out heads.

So what's the moral of your highlands sortie: "Easier to get saddle sores when you have a wet bum"?

uahaleuamorg (19-05-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

No saddle sores here, no wet but- have good gear, I'm a seasoned horseman, ride a lot.
    There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad or inappropriate clothing!!

I think Garmin make the updates available to regular users first before they change the free download link as GE checks for updates the moment you install it any way.
    They do seem to be having a lot of updates though. Then again so does Mozilla FireFox, Google everything, Microsoft everything, Adobe, etc.
    No wonder the web gets so slow at times with all these updates going to millions of devices. The mind boggles.
    Cheers, Tiny

uahaleuamorg (20-05-14)

Thanks

Both 'saddle sores' and 'for some stupid reason' were actually a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's very hard to convey sarcasm in the written word.

I believe that Garmin use some ppl as 'Beta testers' [the bastards] and that's why i never set any of my programs to auto update, and always set it as you see in the first screenshot above before the mongrel thing can auto update. I generally don't use GE anyway directly on devices [unless they're under warranty], only with a 'stunt-double' on a card or usb stick. To update units directly i'll only use WU & MU. If GE bricked a unit [yep, it's happening], and i couldn't recover it with cure fw within a few minutes i'd just sent it back to them. I had one a while back like that. Stuck on logo. They exchanged it without a whimper [that actually annoyed me, i was ready for a verbal brawl]. There are plenty of horror stories about this program bricking ex-warranty units and then Garmin blaming the user for disconnecting during the update [highly unlikely in my experience]. The problem with this 'one-stop-shop' is that it's downloading maps, fw updates, voices, text file and fkw else, so when you finally access a bricked unit in MSM it's hard to know what to delete, easier to reformat and start again and i absolutely refuse to do that with an 'in-warranty' unit. It's their bl**dy problem, their program breaks it, it's under warranty, so no argument. I believe GE has cost them dearly since it's release. No wonder they churn out the bug fixes so fast, their software wranglers must be in constant crisis management mode which isn't a good way to run any business.

Anyway, enough venting. I see a fine tri-blend red beckoning. And I'm sure your butt's in good shape .... actually, forget i said that.. brrr!

uahaleuamorg (20-05-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

OK, so I got curious as to where GE stores its files, had a look around & there they were, the Gmap files missing the necessary files & folders for instal into MS or BC.

So GE actually downloads the Gmap & other files then compiles the map.img & installs that on the GPS with the other update files, JCV, Sqlite, etc which are also stored in the same place.

The path on my W8.1 PC is. C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Core Update Service\MAP-NZAUNAV-2015-10\IMG\City Navigator Australia and NZ NT 2015.10 - HERE.gmap\Product1

Very lazy of them, although past downloads are gone, so they just keep latest in case you want to reinstall to GPS?

If I felt like playing around for a while could probably get it to install for MS, however who cares.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

If you want to save the files for further LM updates for other units, you need to check the box 'Leave installation files on my computer' in MapInstall when the radio button for either 'Install to Device and Computer' or 'Install to Computer only' is selected. I think with GarminExpress that happens automatically, but I have to tell you that I rarely use GE and don't trust it at all. I prefer to use MU and WU although it's slower that way and even then I like to use a fake nuvi stunt double on a usb stick or card and then copy it all over to the unit [less chance of bricking that way]. There is other stuff saved to C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Garmin/Maps [gma & unl codes] and C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Garmin/Map Update/SetupLog.txt [got the whole enchilada in there Dude!].

The path C:/ProgramData/Garmin/Maps is for the permanent gmap folders, and the other one you mentioned is for reinstalls etc. The gma & unlock codes from C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Garmin/Maps will filter out the units not entitled to the map.

To make the gmap folder available to other units, you can of course unlock the folder entirely to use for compiling images in MI. But a neat trick is to unlock it just for use in unpatched versions of MI/BC by just unlocking the *.tdb file in the Product1 folder contained in the gmap folder. The gmap folder will then appear as 'Unlocked' or 'Not Authenticated' in MS or MI and should let you to send a unauthenticated/locked image to any unit which you can then unlock with gimunlock.exe, or if you wanna wait a bit longer use Fast Image Unlocker [not wise to use the last one to 'unlock' an image actually already on a unit though, it may cause problems, gimgunlock is much safer].

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

No need for all that fuss to make the img available to other units. You can copy it of the installed unit & unlock with Gim or FIU.

Or the gmapprom image is already compiled ready for unlocking here. C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Core Update Service\MAP-NZAUNAV-2015-10\006-D2485-14

I would advise unlocking, for anyone else that reads this, in a folder on your PC, definitely not on the GPS unit.

Appears there is many ways to skin this cat.
    Cheers, Tiny

Surething (22-05-14)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast