Thread: Windows 8.1 - New 'Start' function: WTF?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Windows 8.1 - New 'Start' function: WTF?

I have a tablet/laptop (Samsung ATIV) which was running Windows 8. Win 8 is great - stable and functional, and works perfectly on a computer with a touch screen.

But as we all know it was lacking the 'Start' button - which was one main reason the OS was not getting used on desktops and computers without touch screens. It just wasn't completely user friendly with a mouse only.

Numerous 'Start' apps solved this problem, and solved the problem well. Then MS came out and basically admitted their mistake, advising Win 8.1 would have the 'Start' desktop button reinstated. Hallelujah most people say - and I reconsider getting Windows 8 for the desktop.

So I remove my 'Start' app and install Windows 8.1 so I can have the 'official' Windows Start button. All goes well, I click the new 'Start' button - and crap, all it does it take me to the metro start screen. WTF??

Now I am stuck with Windows 8.1 and it's crappy 'Start' button that doesn't do what most thought it would. And if I reinstall the previous 'Start' button app I will have 2 start buttons. I still wouldn't consider using Win 8.1 on a desktop and the 'Start' button issue is still present.

Not happy Jan!!
    Last edited by peteramjet; 23-10-13 at 07:16 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (23-10-13)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

A quick tap will take you back to the "Tile" view.
    Slightly longer touch shoud open the start menu.
    At least thats how it works for me.....
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

• The Following User Says Thank You to autotuner For This Useful Post:

tristen (24-10-13)

Thanks

That is how it works, but it doesn't allow you to access programs/apps etc. Only allow quick access to settings.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

tristen (24-10-13)

Thanks

Ah, OK, I thought you meant you got nothing but the Tiles.
    Yeh its a little strange, but I find myself jumping back to Desktop less and less. I seem to be getting used to Windows 8 and liking it.
    Saying that, my desktop is still Windows 7, and will be for somne time. Windows 8 on tablet only for me.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autotuner View Post
    Saying that, my desktop is still Windows 7, and will be for somne time. Windows 8 on tablet only for me.
    That's the downside. The Start screen is perfectly usable on a computer with a touchscreen, and I use it almost exclusively. But it's cumbersome and almost inaccessible using a mouse - hence the idea behind returning the start menu, which hasn't been done!

You can now make all the tiles on the start page small (4 tiles into the space of 1 large tile), so you could probably fit all tiles on one page without the need to scroll. But there is no option to place text under each tile, so unless you know what each image is it would be difficult to find individual apps using this method.

Thanks

Folks,

Some confusion disappears if you think this way.

The Tile interface with the list of programs ..IS the Start Menu

The right click option (or tap and hold) is a 'system menu'.
    Advice from child: never, ever twy to bath a puddy tat!

Thanks

Yes right click. And for all your programs, use the arrow at the bottom left of the start screen.
    8.1 is better than 8 and much quicker than 7

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Yeah, the addition to the new Start Screen (Metro Tiles), of the arrow lower left of screen which brings up all apps/programs in groupings is a great addition & although it looks a little different to the older operating system start menu, it is just as usable, with a mouse for me - no touchscreen.
    On the main start screen you can move or remove the tiles as you like & a right click will let you name the App group for easy sorting.

If you're too lazy to scroll thru the apps, just go to the start screen & type the program name (or part of) your looking for & it will bring it up. Can't get much easier.
    (BTW the scroll bar at the bottom is auto hiding on non touch screens, so hover the mouse at the bottom of screen for it to appear).

You can always as before; have shortcut icons of regularly used files folders or programs on the desktop as well.

EDIT: For those that would like to boot straight to the Desktop after sign in, got to;
    Right click Start,
    Select Control Panel/Personalisation/Task Bar & Navigation(lower left)/Navigation Tab - Pick an option or more that suits you for Start screen.
    You can also change the way charms operates, change left corner function & change from command prompt to the new Windows PowerShell (Same thing different color)
    Last edited by Tiny; 29-11-13 at 12:44 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Thanks for the right click on the window. Didn't know that you could do that, much quicker.