Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Drone Footage

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zbee View Post
    some of the new stuff comming out over the next few months is taking the hobby to the next level, what we are flying now will be gathering dust in 6 months. my mate in the usa is currently testing a small quad thats wearable and controlled by your smart phone, one function is what is called "follow me" basically it hovers just behind and above you and follows you around...
    Yea there is several around that will follow you using a smart phone or ground station. The Scout X4 has the function. Then there is the Airdog, that's pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRONETEC View Post
    ha theres a few that can follow my 2 do as well as this new one thats comen ..
    What's caught my interest is the new waterproof models about, some indestructible as well!!!

Electric motor works completely submerged in water.

Lands on water, even moves around on water, takes off from water.

Now this is one for Trash, "DIY Bulletproof, Waterproof UAV from Game of Drones."
    Not really bullet proof, paint ball gun proof.

.. as to regulation the horse has bolted big time... sadly it will take a serious accident to actually get enforcement.. there are only 3 people at casa who are involved at this stage, if you want to play safe there are a few basic rules.. never fly within 30 meters of people, do not fly over crowds sports fields or other properties, never fly at night and in Australia FPV is tottaly banned... and the biggest tip, never ever post any of your footage online as that becomes evidence
    Yep; If people would just fly safe, don't annoy other people with their/our/your hobby or Aerial Photography Profession, & never use FPV where the authorities can scan you & find you.

Look what this idiot posted; will get drones banned for sure.

Flying over sports fields will quickly have authorities banning drones.

Last edited by Tiny; 03-11-14 at 09:38 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

DRONETEC (15-12-14),ssrattus (03-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Hahah, don't worry about the flares being chucked on the oval, some drone hovering the crowd is an issue.
    Actually in Australia the owner would probably get their arse kicked. It would be within the limits of flying to members of the public and buildings.
    But you know some dicked is going to try it before the same game officials decide they want to use them for coverage.
    Shots of players and the crowd, not to mention peering into corporate boxes etc.

I like the amphibious quad, that's cool, don't know why I didn't think of it.

I'm sitting in the park in Dubbo at the moment with the plane and gopro charging.
    This is one I did of home over the weekend.

Last edited by trash; 03-11-14 at 05:49 PM.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-11-14)

Thanks

And video from Dubbo today.

Thanks

Tonight's video is pretty cool, but a crap landing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-11-14)

Thanks

Last edited by DRONETEC; 06-11-14 at 10:33 AM. Reason: rong link

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRONETEC For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (07-11-14),Tiny (06-11-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Had my first FPV flight today with Goggles - Skyzones, wow that is so much like being a pilot.

Great wide angle view that presents the image from the iLook camera excellently.

Of course, I was flying with the understanding of the legal limits.

... in Australia FPV is tottaly banned... and the biggest tip, never ever post any of your footage online as that becomes evidence
    Well after doing some research on this, it is not actually banned, it is technically limited by ACMA due to a 25mW limit in the unlicensed frequencies & CASA for where you can fly & how high.
    As there may be more info out there I haven't found, this not conclusive & I'm open to creditable info.

I wont post all the url's I've read, this one sums it up.

Australia

In the operation of FPV aircraft is subject to laws and regulations regarding radio spectrum use which is enforced by the ACMA () and the use of airspace as enforced by CASA ().
    All unmanned aeronautical activities in Australia are ruled by CASR (Civil Aviation Safety Regulations) Part 101 which includes sections for UAV's and model aircraft among other operations. It is currently under review and new regulations specifically relating to UAV's and model aircraft are anticipated.

• Any commercial use (i.e. any form of payment or benefit) of an unmanned aircraft results in the operations falling under the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Operations Section, CASR 101-1. This section requires formal licensing, training and documentation procedures to be approved and followed. These requirements will typically require an outlay in the order of thousands of dollars which places commercial operations beyond the reach of most hobbyists. This is one area currently under review by CASA with initial reports indicating a potential option of simpler registration for light-weight UAV's without requiring formal certification.
    • Non-commercial use is governed by section 101-3 which includes requirements that:
      • No commercial benefit is to be obtained from operating the model – to be flown only for sport or recreational purposes
      • Maximum weight of 150 kg (models over 25 kg must be operated within a club setting under additional conditions)
      • Models under 100 grams are exempt from regulation
      • Only to be flown in daylight unless under written procedures of an authorised organisation (such as the MAAA)
      • The model must remain within continuous direct sight of the operator
      • When within 3 nautical miles of an aerodrome or when within controlled airspace, flight is limited to 400 ft above ground level

Practical considerations

• The MAAA () has published a "First Person View (FPV) Policy". In order to comply with the CASR rules they require that the pilot using FPV is not the actual pilot in charge of the model and that a second pilot must have the model in sight at all times, being capable of taking control of the aircraft without any action from the FPV pilot. This has the effect of making the FPV pilot a "guest pilot" for the flight, with all responsibility for the safety and operation of the flight resting with the line-of-sight pilot.
    • While holding an amateur radio license will allow an FPV operator to use transmitter power levels sufficient for flights beyond a few hundred metres, the CASR 101-3 requirement for the model to be in direct sight of the pilot remains a legal stumbling block for the hobby.
    Source;
    Last edited by Tiny; 06-11-14 at 06:53 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

DRONETEC (10-11-14),weirdo (06-11-14)

Thanks

You can have higher FPV transmitter power, and the way to do it legally is an Advanced Amateur Radio licence, which most people here could easily manage.

My problem isn't transmitter power, it's battery weight to power the video transmitter

Did another flight over Dubbo tonight for a bit of fun.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    My problem isn't transmitter power, it's battery weight to power the video transmitter
    You should be able to draw power from your main battery to power transmitter.

Will your aircraft handle the weight of the transmitter? Only 18g.

Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

My ATV transmitters are up to 1kW !!!
    I don't need a bigger battery, I need a bigger plane
    Actually I already have a bigger plane, but FPV is then kind of pointless when you're bum is close to the CofG.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

DJI has released Inspire 1
    Looks like a nice machine
    but then at 3 and half grand it should
    I like the camera and gimbel setup

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

yep, one expensive flying camera platform that one.

Been reading about it for a couple of weeks now over at RCGroups.

141 pages & only one bloke owns one, he only just got it & he's the Forum spokesman for DJI.

Will be interesting to see if it's as good as it's price when the experts get it flying.

I could put a 4K GoPro on my Tali for a lot less.
    Wouldn't have the functionality the Inspire has though.
    Apparently it has video sensing & can be flown inside a building.
    Fly Indoors and Without GPS
    using Vision Positioning System

Indoor flight has always been a true test of skill for all levels of pilots. DJI’s new Optical Flow technology uses a specially designed camera as well as sonic waves to bring simplicity to flying indoors. This technology allows the Inspire to hold its position, stop when the controls are released, and respond to your commands even when GPS is unavailable.

Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I was thinking about applying for a job in a restaurant flying drones around & taking pictures of couples kissing.

Sure, you say; that's unlikely that would happen.

Well not here; but the UK are way ahead of us.

RESTAURANT chain TGI Friday's has launched what it describes as the UK's first "mistletoe drone", to encourage diners to get into the festive spirit. THE drones hover above couples, carrying a sprig of mistletoe and a "kiss cam" so fellow guests can watch responses.
    The drones have been trialled in Manchester and will be introduced at other sites ahead of Christmas
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Anyone lose a drone. (no; not me, not mine)

Drone crashes into Canning Vale house

It's the kind of mistaken identity that could probably only happen in Perth - when a drone crashed into the home of Canning Vale man Herman on Wednesday night, his wife and young children figured it was yet another car versus house accident.
    The incident occurred around midnight on Wednesday and Channel Nine reporter Rebecca Johns told Afternoons host Peter Bell there was initial confusion.
    "There was a loud bang and they [the wife and children] thought it was a car crashing into their house," Johns said.
    "They went out the front, looked a round for a bit and couldn't see anything. So they went back to bed."
    Advertisement
    But when Herman, a night shift worker, arrived home at 7am on Thursday, he went into the lounge room and found the drone lying on the floor, with a hole in the roof.
    "As Herman said, he could see the sky through his ceiling," Johns said.
    "He thought it might have been a bomb."
    The ownership of the drone is still be established but it has been seized by Canning Vale police, who tweeted a photo of the flying machine.

Must have fallen from a high Altitude to go thru a roof.

Source:
    Last edited by Tiny; 22-11-14 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the sauce.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Bagman (22-11-14)

Thanks

nigh on 3kg... wouldnt have to be that high. I'm more surpsied that the batteries survived inspite of their condition.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

yep, highly unlikely something like that would find it's way through a roof and ceiling
    unless it was made of cardboard I guess
    another case of sensationalist reporting ?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

You're probably right weirdo, the hole in the roof in this other article is way too small for that drone to fit thru, although it could be a photo size/perspective issue.
    Drones can be built big & small.

It's probably a rental or HC home that needed some roof repairs.
    Nah, who would be so stupid to go to that much trouble of inventing the drone story.

Edit: nah, the more I think about it there is no way that drone came thru that hole. Estimated size of that drone based on the dustpan under the bench, would not fit that fist sized hole in the plaster board, it's possible it was on the other side of that hole in the roof cavity, but not thru & on the floor.
    Last edited by Tiny; 22-11-14 at 07:13 PM. Reason: far too many W's
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Default Report: GoPro planning to launch consumer drones “late next year”

GoPro to enter the drone market with their own drones.
    That will give a good shake of the tree.

Hope it's a quality build like their cameras.
    I'm looking forward to see what they offer.

Edit: well I found this comment on another forum about the move;
    This is my friend's reply, to my email informing him that GoPro are getting into the "drone" game:

"If gopro built drones, they would fall out of the air unexpectedly, not turn when you wanted them to, fly in the wrong direction without warning, and have a 2 minute battery life."

This is based on his experiences with a GoPro Hero 3 Black. Can't say that I totally disagree with him (have the same GoPro model).
    I don't own a GoPro, although I've used one of my friends, interesting comment though.

GoPro will soon be manufacturing drones. reports that the company, known for its hugely popular line of action video cameras, will release consumer drones "late next year." GoPro's drones will be multi-rotor helicopters that carry high-definition cameras likely resembling those used in existing devices like the GoPro Hero series. According to the report, GoPro is aiming to price its consumer drones between $500 and $1,000, an aggressive range that could immediately shake up the consumer drone market.

Companies like DJI and Parrot have established an early foothold in that business, but GoPro's reputation and dominance of the action cam segment will likely put its future competitors on the defensive almost immediately. Some existing drones already support GoPro cameras, so it will be interesting to see if manufacturers change their strategy once they're competing directly against the company. We know GoPro can build quality cameras, so the bigger question is about the drone hardware itself. At this point, Parrot and DJI have both had multiple tries at building quality consumer drones. And the field will likely be even larger once GoPro's drones are ready. But in many ways, it's an obvious move; you can already take GoPro's cameras nearly anywhere. Now it sounds like the company wants to become the all-in-one solution for aerial photography
    More at:
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-11-14 at 06:26 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I haven't had any problems with my gopro black3. On a bad day I think I've run down the gopro in a bit over 100 minutes.

Playing with the EDF Habu the other day.

I think it won't be long before we see hobbyking making these kinds of micro drones with small keychain size microSD cameras or even FPV with low power 2.4GHz transmitters.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hey Trash, stumbled on this today, this micro FPV cam fit on that EDF Habu easy.
    Looks like alot of fun BTW, now I've got the R/C bug again.

of course you could just build yourself a simple multirotor.

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-11-14),trash (01-12-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks Tiny, that boxocopter appeals to my sense of the absurd.

• Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast