Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

For most of my life, I lived a delusion

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bibliophile For This Useful Post:

Tiny (16-01-15),weirdo (17-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

The next model will be a house brick
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

oh the joys of such a hobby.......... thought I would share this weekends experience.

on Saturday decided to take the drone out and give it a fly, was a nice quiet park, lovely day, got some awesome chips from the local shop, took the toy yachts and sailed them as well, had a chat to a guy who races dragon boats (wants some footage, so will share when we have it) was turning out to be a really good day......... then the day took a turn for the worse.......

Middle son (who is very good at flying) experienced a catastrophic failure of the 4000mha 4 cell Lipo , 5 minutes into his 3rd flight, right above the Salt water lake and it floated like a brick. You can just imagine, 3 guys doing a mad dash and dive into the water only to find nothing for an hour..... well, I had given up, middle son decided to have one more look, managed to kick it sitting in 1.8 metres of murky water - and up she came.

it's a DJI450 quad, with a naza m lite with GPS, 8 channel spektrum receiver, Ezosd - GPS & current sensor, 5.8ghz fatshark 600mw transmitter, readymaderc camera, Alexmos gimbal - looks a little bit different to my avatar and was working beautifully. The crazy thing - I decided to take the GoPro off to have a play with the settings just before the dreaded flight.

Well our savour may have been the catasrtophic failure of the Lipo - I pulled the whole thing apart, removed all the covers, heatshrink and electrical tape, washed the whole lot in metho and sat the bits in our brand new Air Fryer (80'C) and put it all together

Nothing was destroyed except a speed controller, and I'm thinking this may have been the cause which killed the battery.

So...... all the motors have new bearings, 4 brand new speed controllers on the way, 1 very nervous middle son, 1 nervous quad builder (but very happy with the outcome)

Could have been a really expensive day........ the remote control gods were laughing at us - but must of decided to feel sorry for us that day

f
    有段者

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

DRONETEC (21-01-15),ol' boy (19-01-15),Tiny (19-01-15),weirdo (19-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Thanks for that, glad it was found, I have my reservations about flying over water.

Was thinking about getting a water proof quad like the Mariner or attaching the "getter back" to attach to what I have when flying over water.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    attaching the "getter back" to attach to what I have when flying over water.
    Air Asia and Malaysian Airlines needed the Getter Back installed.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

This guy was not so lucky.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bibliophile For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (27-01-15),Tiny (19-01-15),trash (19-01-15),weirdo (20-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    The next model will be a house brick
    Yep the Voyager 3 looks like proverbial flying brick.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Default Macas Month so far..

Some of my new videos for you guys .. bit of the new NZ race league start up racing.. Im doing and part of now .. it is super fun.. Now about the water flights stuff.. Lol we all know as soon as we go over that line there is a chance it could happen ..I mean it could all go in the drink.. but Crash or dip = new project and that is always exciting..But ay bit sad.. Well safe flying all.. Im loven Acro flips and Racen. Here is our new logo for the crew..

• The Following User Says Thank You to DRONETEC For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    This guy was not so lucky.

Did anyone notice at 3:50 in the vid a shark swims past, classic.

Obviously the GoPro had it's water proof housing on.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Default $850 Drone fine

For all the OZ pilots out there; be careful what you post on YT (as ZBee said a few pages ago).

Not sure how true this is, source is dubious, still worth thinking about.

$850 Drone fine: CASA using YouTube to identify illegal drone use

/ Friday, 23 January 2015, 8:00 /
    If you’ve got a drone and haven’t been keeping a close eye on the regulations that outline where and when you can fly it – be very careful. Uploading videos taken from your to the internet could result in the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) sending you a hefty fine.
    image:
    One Queensland drone pilot found this out the hard way, after receiving an $850 fine for his drone use – all based on videos he had uploaded to YouTube.
    image:

The owner – who does not wish to be named, received a phone call from a CASA investigator notifying him of multiple breaches. Each of which could have resulted in an $850 fine. In the end his single $850 fine was a lucky break with the CASA investigator stating, “while each individual breach was not major in itself, the number of breaches has caused me concern”.
    CASA regulations state that hobbyists who fly for no commercial gain cannot fly their drones:

• Within 3 nautical miles of an airport;
    • Above 400 feet in controlled airspace (large towns and cities);
    • Over populous areas;
    • Within 30 meters of people;
    • At night.

The most popular drone on the market, the – has software built into it that can prevent it taking off near airports and limit its height. The problem seems to be the owners who want to toy with the regulators, because they think no-one is watching.
    image:
    For this Queensland owner, the specific offence outlined in this infringement was “operating a model aircraft over a populous area at a height less than the height from which, if any of its components fails, it would be able to clear the area.”
    So does CASA have staff watching online videos to find offenders? Peter Gibson, spokesperson for CASA , “I’m not going to pretend we sit there every day trawling through YouTube because that would be ridiculous. However, where we see things, or where people bring things to our attention then we will investigate”.
    The fines can range anywhere from $850 for breaches of the basic guidelines, right through to $8,000 for “reckless operation”, with Mr Gibson pointing out “if you injure someone, CASA can also seek prosecution.
    We’re not trying to penalise people, but if you behave stupidly, then you certainly run the risk”.
    When the fine was sent this week, it also had attached a set of “Facts and Circumstances”. This document outlined the reasons for the fine, including that CASA had been alerted to the videos, which prompted their investigation.
    image:
    In its “Decision” section there is reference to the fact that it’s a “counselling letter”. Do it again, and CASA will “draw the conclusion that you have a wilful disregard for aviation safety, and the regulator will respond accordingly”.
    image:
    The drone in question has already appeared for sale on online classifieds site Gumtree, and one can only assume this fine has scared the flights out of this pilot.

Read more at
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (27-01-15)

Thanks

so, if true, deny everything and hide your details on youtube eh

the actual rules can be found

f
    有段者

Thanks

Yep. Though I don't have much of a problem since I know the rules because I fly all kinds of full scale aircraft.
    I make it a point to fly safely and follow the rules. They're not going to waste time chasing minor incidents unless something considerable happens.
    But flying an RC plane near an airport, they do need to throw the book at people for that kind of thing.
    I'm amazed given the laser pointer bullshit that somebody hasn't flown something like a quad over Sydney airport.
    Then again, I'm amazed the jihad idiots haven't done it too towing a black isis flag etc.
    At least that kind of thing will make the authorities think properly instead of chasing stupid shit.

I noticed the other day that one of my favourite RAAF bases has signs up along the fence saying photography is prohibited.
    Such things need to have the person who suggested them taken out and flogged for stupidity.

Oh yes, it's a national security issue. Well FVCK ME SIDEWAYS !!!
    If you're security is so good it cannot withstand photography from a public place. How bad is your security?
    This is the kind of shit that was prevalent in the Soviet Union.

Guerilla warfare has moved to the sky.

The USA has banned FPV. Why? well that's simple. The guidance for your tiny cruise missile is real time.
    You can visually fly your drone, identify your target and fly into it in real time with a real weaponised payload.
    Obviously the terrorists are standing in a park with their drone armed... "Oh wait Achmed, I don't think this is legal? Let me check the FAA and FCC rules!"
    "Oh here it is, must not carry a warhead. OK, I'm sorry everybody. The jihad on the infidels will have to be scrubbed. Asiff, you'll have to deliver the bomb by hand!!!"

What's next, they ban all RC controllers because Uncle Sam can't jam spread spectrum signal on the incoming RC plane?

If the governments of the world keep this shit up, people will be converting to islam to escape a tyrannical state.... HUH?
    Last edited by trash; 25-01-15 at 11:37 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (27-01-15)

Thanks

and for those who want to spend a couple more thousand on a certificate and then pay an annual fee...........

you might as well get a real pilots licence and extent that to UAV

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 25-01-15 at 11:37 PM.
    有段者

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    What's next, they ban all RC controllers because Uncle Sam can't jam spread spectrum signal on the incoming RC plane?

with the Arduino based flight controllers and GPS waypoint flying wings that you can make, real time isn't required any more so I think it's only a matter of time before they try........

f
    有段者

Thanks

Someone's in deep do do.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bibliophile For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (27-01-15),Tiny (27-01-15)

Thanks

Yep, it was only a matter of time.
    Don't worry, somebody will probably try to fly a cheap foamy into the Pentagon carrying some fireworks for a bit of a further wake up.

You know it won't take long for our little islamic brothers and sisters to discover their local hobby shop.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Anticlimax.

A government employee told the Secret Service that he was flying the unmanned aircraft recreationally before he lost control and accidentally breached the secure perimeter of the presidential mansion, The New York Times reported.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

have ordered the bits for 3 of these

me and the boys are going to get competitive

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (31-01-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    have ordered the bits for 3 of these

me and the boys are going to get competitive

f
    Looks cool, how much for the parts per unit?

I've been considering the Storm racing Quad as it comes with all compatible bits & is kinda modular in that you just plug & play to repair parts in the field.

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

weirdo (03-02-15)

• Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast