Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone Footage

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Default Drone Footage

I had a gander at this....

Does anyone have any information on these drones?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Jims Brother (25-10-13),Landytrack (24-10-13),OSIRUS (24-10-13),porkop (24-10-13),shagga66 (28-10-13),weirdo (24-10-13)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

ive seen a few videos he has shot before, he has a u beaut 4 blade chopper setup with camera

Last edited by fandtm666; 24-10-13 at 11:36 AM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

enf (24-10-13),Landytrack (24-10-13)

Thanks

Quadcopters, Hexacoptors, Tricopters, Octocoptors, UAV, drone etc etc etc... They're quickly becoming a very popular hobby as they're now very affordable. On of the most popular starting points is the quad with a GoPro camera attached. For silky smooth cinematic footage, DJI also offer a gimble which keeps the camera perfectly still regardless of the orientation of the quad. The Phantom Quad can be found for as little as $500.00 RTF (ready to fly - the DJI Zenmuse Gimbal is a little more) straight out of the box and for a complete novice with no RC experience, it's very easy. They come complete with a flight stablisation system that makes use of an on board 3 axis gyro for automatic pitch/roll/yaw correction, along with a GPS and compass for positioning. Let go of the controls and the quad will simply hover in one spot if they're in GPS Hold mode. You can even flick a switch on the controller and have them return to their take off point and land automatically. The technology in them is astounding.

The Phantom is small enough that it it's considered by the average punter as a toy and don't get very heavy as there's limited space to place other equipment. Beyond the Phantom, DJI offers the F330 & F450 quads and F550 & S800 Hexs. The numercial portion of the naming convention being representative of the diagonal measurement in mm from the tip of one arm to the tip of the opposing arm. These units come in ARF (almost ready to fly) form and require some assembly. Typically, you need to purchase the flight controller, RC RX/TX and any other items you may want such as FPV camera and ground station (facilitating First Person View from the ground as if you're actually sitting in the craft), RF data link for control via iPad & PC allowing fully autonomous control and flight by means of predetermined waypoint data. The hex's and octo's also have flight redundancy in that you can still bring them down safely in the event of prop, engine or speed controller failure. The larger of these can reach in excess of 5kg take off weight buy the time you add decent LiPo batteries depending on your desired flight time. Due to their size, all but the F330 are a little more conspicuous than the other units and can actually be quite loud. BTW there is more than just DJI, there's TBS (Team Black Sheep), Gaui, Twister, Walkera a few others. In fact, the is quite something when you consider it's size. There's also a quite well established open source community for the development of alternative flight control systems.

There is currently huge debate raging about multi-rotors due to the fact they can be launched from the back yard with HD cameras attached, have range capabilities of several KM, altitude capabilities that put them firmly into controlled airspace and can be completely autonomous all within most hobbyists budget. CASA has been a little behind the 8 ball with deciding how to handle them except to advise that you require a permit to operate the devices for commercial purposes and that hobby pilots are restricted to operating below 400' AGL, must not operate within 3nm of an airfield, fly over populated areas or fly within 30m of people and can't fly at night. Clearly quite difficult to police.

The technology in these things is incredible to say the least and the footage you're able to get from them is simply stunning. Provided people are responsible with them and stick to the rules it's all good. If you google around though, there's plenty of fails. IE: A guy filming a wedding with a DJI Phantom flew it straight into the grooms head.

Have a google/youtube around for Multi-Rotors and RC FPV. There is some seriously incredible gear out there now.
    Last edited by Drift; 24-10-13 at 01:44 PM.

• The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

admin (25-10-13),Chieflets (02-10-14),DRONETEC (29-09-14),enf (24-10-13),freakee1 (27-10-13),Godzilla (20-02-14),Landytrack (24-10-13),Onefella (25-10-13),Tiny (24-10-13),weirdo (24-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

awesome footage
    you seem to know a bit about these Drift, what sort of range (distance from the operator) do these cheaper drones have and can they still fly with a bit of breeze?

Thanks

Range is only limited by battery life and in the case of controlled flight (as in 'pilot' controlled rather than autonomous) the range of the RF equipment being used. Most current model RC TX/RX operate on 2.4GHz using FA(H)SS technology so they're not really impaired by WiFi networks close by etc. The better quality units from the likes of Futaba & Spektrum see between 3 & 4km in favorable conditions. With some of the UHF piggyback TX units around, this jobs to in excess of 40km. This sort of range with a multi-rotor isn't really feasible though as given they have multiple motors, they're quite power hungry. As a rough indication, you can expect between 6 & 8 minutes flight time with a 5000mAh 11.1v (3s) LiPo on a Hexacopter weighing 2.3kg depending on prop pitch and motors used. The forward velocity of such a rig maxes out at roughly 60km/h so with 3 minutes out and 3 minutes back, you've got 3km there provided theres no head wind. If you were to fit the same battery on something like the small Phantom weighing around 1.1kg, your flight time would be circa 25min however their forward speed is a little less at around 40km/h. The guys that are into the long range FPV flights are using powered gliders.

As for stability in wind, they're surprisingly capable. Obviously the more weight and more power, the better they are but even the little Phantom doesn't mind a bit of wind.

F550

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

admin (25-10-13),enf (25-10-13),kevin1341 (28-10-13),Onefella (25-10-13),Tiny (28-10-13),VroomVroom (25-10-13),weirdo (25-10-13)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Oooops.....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-10-13),Tiny (29-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

I was contacted by the guys doing this recently, interesting idea

Thanks

this is my list of what to get and where........

DJI inovations - DJI450F, Naza Board with GPS -
    ebay

FPV gear

FatShark altitude SD with head tracking & Lipo
    EZOSD - on screen display
    EZ Transmitter 5.8GHz 600m/w
    2x Clover leaf antennas
    Camera (i use my go pro with a Video out board from readymaderc)

Batteries etc

4 x Zippy 4000Ma 4S
    240V/12V 540W power supply
    iCharger 206B
    extras
    ebay
    20 x Deans plugs (male & Female) for batteries
    6 Cell battery port for charging all batteries at the same time
    Prop balancer
    Gemfan props from
    you also need remote gear - I bought a Spektrum DX8 with an AR8000/satellite receiver
    I also bought a complete frame so I could use the plate to hold the battry and GoPro from ebay.
    The biggest thing i learnt was all this stuff comes from overseas - ie 2 weeks delivery, so if you manage to forget to get something, 2 weeks waiting time

distance through the FPV is about 600 metres, the Spektrum receiver can do about 4kms but can extend it to 10 Kilometres with an antenna tracker - which I'm currently building (line of sight)

12 minutes of flight time with each of the current batteries and I have 4, plus a car charger - bigger batteries, more weight and you lose time, so catch 22 . The FPV gear can easily go into a flying wing and with the Arduino boards you can program waypoints, heights, tracks, and just let it go and wait for it to return - truly Drone material

Its a lot of fun, my avatar is the machine

forgot to mention that it will happily hit 300 metres high - and no wonder that the authorities are looking into licensing with 1.6kgs floating about the skies

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 27-10-13 at 09:23 PM.
    有段者

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

best4less (27-10-13),ol' boy (28-10-13),Tiny (28-10-13)

Thanks

Alot of the DJI gear is also available and in most cases for the same prices as on line from OS. Don't pay too much attention to their in house RTFs, if you browse around their site, there's plenty of options.

The only thing I bought in for my latest build was LiPos and FPV gear. Price advantage simply wasn't there.

Thanks

I was very lucky when I went shopping the Aussie Dollar was about $1.09 so hobbyking, ebay overseas was the way to go

I am going to get another, for my son. His task is to research and recommend the bits, we will get the parts and he will then build it with my advice
    We are lucky as I have the chargers, lots of batteries and GoPro, so have saved there

I work with a guy who has multiple different models - from a flatcat to the DJI 350, 450 & 550 and a generic from Hobbyking

What is your build?

f
    有段者

Thanks

Latest build is F550 frame with the following

Axi 2217/16 1050kv gold lines
    Graupner 10x5s also have a set of Xoar 10x4.7 carbon props
    Naza v2 w/GPS & BT module
    Zenmuse 3H-2D
    Quadframe landing gear
    Futaba 14sg & 7008 SBUS rx
    iOSD mkII
    Immersion vTX & Fatshark Attitude SD with CP antennas both ends
    Running on 10000mah 3S
    Take off weight is 2650g
    Flight time is around 14min

Currently looking to build a smaller, lighter dedicated FPV rig and conert the 550 for heavy lift and better for AP/AV. It does quite well as it is, but it's not as efficient as it could be hence the heavy lift conversion. Also seen some incredible deals of late on S800 EVO frames so I might even go down that path yet.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have a DJI Phantom & a DJI F550 hexacopter. Both good machines with Naza GPS modules. I have not bothered with a brushless gimbal on the Phantom and see no point paying the excessive price of a Zenmuse when you can but a Tarot gimbal for around $150, thats what I have fitted to the f550, along with the GoPro 3 black edition camera you can get awesome video and photos.

My mate Mikes flying with my F550 before I fitted the Tarot, it was just using a cheap servo driven gimbal.

Great fun, cheapish to get into and fpv flights are great fun

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    forgot to mention that it will happily hit 300 metres high - and no wonder that the authorities are looking into licensing with 1.6kgs floating about the skies
    f
    300m, have seen 2.5km on a DJI F550 FPV flight... Check youtube.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Great footage there TomaHawk
    Looks like a great new hobby to get into, and affordable.
    Question, how well can you see on the small lcd screen, especially if it's a bright sunny day?

Thanks

yeah I have seen that too, my experience with 300 metres was at the end of a 10 minute flight my 12 year old decided to go straight up, it peaked at 300 metres before the Low Voltage Limit was reached - dropping the throttle to 40%

The fail safe doesnt work when the Voltage Limits have been reached.........

It hit the ground pretty hard, snapped off 2 arms, 3 props, the landing gear needed replacing and the GoPro lense was damaged.

I have turned off the Low Voltage Limit through the Naza, and now rely on the HUD on EZOSD & a 10 minute timer on the Spektrum

f
    有段者

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Great footage there TomaHawk
    Looks like a great new hobby to get into, and affordable.
    Question, how well can you see on the small lcd screen, especially if it's a bright sunny day?
    Im not sure about tomaHawk, but I wear Fatshark Glasses -

You can run a cable from the Glasses to a ground Station (Laptop etc) so others can watch too - most of the footage with the HUD is recorded through this setup as most use GoPro's (clean footage) for recording

The cost is dropping as you can purchase RTF quads with FPV, when I started, you had to do the lot yourself

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 28-10-13 at 07:53 AM.
    有段者

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

efab (28-10-13),Tiny (28-10-13),weirdo (28-10-13)

Thanks

I bought a phantom about a month ago and have been trying to learn how to fly it
    getting t the point now where I have to go to the oval and have a better go, as mentioned above they are great fun
    iif I can get enough confidence then i'll get a camera and the sky will be the limit

got mine thru the jonnyappleseed website

Thanks

for those that want to have a play with a little toy - I'm getting a couple of these for christmas for my lot

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

efab (28-10-13)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks for the timely warning enf, it is something that all RC aircraft operators should be aware of and probably something that many would not think of.

Thanks

Good to see some other members out there are into the hobby. It's surprising the rate at which MR fans are popping up all over the place.

TomaHawk. I agree with you regarding the cost of the Zenmuse. DJI however have been offering a few package deals of late which make them very attractive. IE: Naza V2, GPS, Zenmuse all for less than the standard Zenmuse cost.

Oh, and your video. I recognise that spot . Another Perth member.
    Last edited by Drift; 28-10-13 at 01:08 PM.

• Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast