Thread: Will a FOXTEL box & card from Melb work in Syd?

Thanks

Default Will a FOXTEL box & card from Melb work in Syd?

Will a satellite IQ box & card from FOXTEL in Melb, plug straight into a Sydney unused satellite connection?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

1. must have two LNB cables to connect to the IQ STB .... (no splitters etc) ...in Sydney

2. Dish Setup needs to have a 10700 LNB & aligned to Optus C1/D3 Satellite (most Foxtel installed Dish Setups will most likely be this .... )

3. I would not connect the Phone line or internet to the STB in Sydney .......
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-10-13 at 02:55 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    Had a IQ in Sydney with 2x LNB that worked fine.
    I was more concerned about the alignment of satellite, but from what you say, that's OK now.

In regards to internet connection, when you use the remote record function (eg on iPhone when not home), does that go over internet or via Foxtel feed?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paul911 View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Had a IQ in Sydney with 2x LNB that worked fine.
    I was more concerned about the alignment of satellite, but from what you say, that's OK now.

In regards to internet connection, when you use the remote record function (eg on iPhone when not home), does that go over internet or via Foxtel feed?
    It's the same satellite??

Remote record from your iPhone/Internet is thru the internet TVguide; & is transmitted in the Foxtel feed signal.

BTW if Foxtell know you're moving the box to a new address, you can connect the phone line & internet for Pay Per View usage.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

C1/D3 carry all the Foxtel signals no matter where you are in Australia and its only the dish alignment that varies to focus onto the Satellites from that location.

The decoder can only talk to Foxtel via the phoneline as it has no ability to communicate via Satellite.

When you connect with Foxtel to record or buy a movie, you connect to their Computer which then sends the relevant commands to your decoder but unless the decoder is connected to a normal telephone landline or whatever, it has no way of knowing if those commands have been received.

When you use the IQ to set things up, my guess is that it identifies itself for billing purposes and does it send your phone number along to be verified as well ?
    I know years ago on a local dial up internet I had to put in the 1832 prefix before my phone number for the computer to verify my location/account, does the IQ do this too?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    It's the same satellite??

Remote record from your iPhone/Internet is thru the internet TVguide; & is transmitted in the Foxtel feed signal.

BTW if Foxtell know you're moving the box to a new address, you can connect the phone line & internet for Pay Per View usage.
    Thanks. Never used pay per view, so probably won't need it.
    I know it's the same satellite, just didn't know if the dish needed adjusting for the difference in latitude.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    When you connect with Foxtel to record or buy a movie, you connect to their Computer which then sends the relevant commands to your decoder but unless the decoder is connected to a normal telephone landline or whatever, it has no way of knowing if those commands have been received.
    That is incorrect Gordon, the iPhone app he is talking about to remotely book recordings, uses the online TV guide. The same one I use on a regular basis to set recordings. The codes are sent in the Sat Feed. You can also buy a pay per view event/movie form you online account with your Mobile or land line without it being connected to the Decoder.
    The decoder connections to the phone line & internet are so you can do the Payperview or On Demand service from the the remote via the Decoder.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (30-10-13),OSIRUS (30-10-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

You could order Foxtel Pay Per View & Foxtel Box Office movies etc .... by Phone ..... or Order from your Foxtel Account (TV Guide) online

Using the Iphone (like when not at home) is like using your online account ...... (no phone line or internet to the STB required)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-10-13 at 07:24 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

One thing worth noting is that you will get the free to air channels from Melbourne including news

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul911 View Post
    I know it's the same satellite, just didn't know if the dish needed adjusting for the difference in latitude.
    The only reasons the dish at the new place in Sydney would need adjusting is if it has been taken out of alignment for C1/D3 by wind or human error; or it is aligned to a different satellite, say D2 for a different sat service.

So if the dish was a Foxtel installation & hasn't been touched it should be good for your IQ to work, as long as it has a dual polarity, dual output LNBF with 2 cables to the wall plate &/or 2 cables to the Decoder.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    That is incorrect Gordon, the iPhone app he is talking about to remotely book recordings, uses the online TV guide. The same one I use on a regular basis to set recordings. The codes are sent in the Sat Feed. You can also buy a pay per view event/movie form you online account with your Mobile or land line without it being connected to the Decoder.
    The decoder connections to the phone line & internet are so you can do the Payperview or On Demand service from the the remote via the Decoder.
    I follow that with the Iphone etc but I meant if your Decoder was connected by landline and you do any requests such as PPV or series follow on, it would have to identify itself to enable the requests to be made.
    I only have a Titan standard Decoder and when I booked a movie recently, I went online to my account, gave my details (Acc number) chose the movie and it was done.
    But what I did wonder as I said if you used the decoder and it 'rings Home' would the system check the number it was calling from?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Snip..
    But what I did wonder as I said if you used the decoder and it 'rings Home' would the system check the number it was calling from?
    There is a possibility that Foxtel systems would be able to identify the phone number the box is connected to, however the point of this thread is for the OP; if he doesn't connect a phone line, they won't know & he doesn't need it connected for the services he wants.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

More than one way to skin the proverbial cat, eh tiny?

A good thing to remember is no matter where you are, DONT connect the Decoder no matter what it is to any landline if your 'Out and About' to avoid any questions arising.