Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Range Extender - A cheap option?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default WiFi Range Extender - A cheap option?

My folks need to extend their WiFi access at their place to an outdoor area. I'm looking for a cheap solution for them but don't know enough about WiFi extenders/repeater.

They have a Dynalink/NetComm RTA1025W router, which supports WDS, if that makes any difference.

There is little chance of getting a cable connection, so the repeater/booster would need to be wireless.

Would any of the options under $100 on the following OfficeWorks link work?

Thanks for any help.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Buy a unit from from the link you provided but with the proviso that you can return it for a full refund if it doesn't give acceptable performance. (Don't forget to get the saleperson's name so you can support your claim for refund if needed and RETAIN the purchase docket and all packaging).

Many stores will refund in such circumstances but some insist on supplying other goods to a similar value instead of a cash refund, so make sure of the store's policy before you purchase.

The effectiveness of WiFi of any nature, is very dependant not only equipment, but also siting and building construction. Ultimately, it's a situation of "suck it and see", hence my opening statement.

Thanks

Default Re: WiFi Range Extender - A cheap option?

Get yourself a ubiquiti picostation

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I have the first one on that link (WN3000) and it works well, usually comes back online on its own steam after a power cut, if you shop around you can get them on special (around $60-$70) from time to time.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Aldi have one on special for about $39...no good, just take it back...you can't lose...it went on special last Saturday and you usually ask for them at the checkout....they keep them there.
    Last edited by mandc; 18-11-13 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

might be cheaper and sufficient to try and fit a yagi aerial to their current router first
    they can improve range by quite a bit

Thanks

Thanks all. I'll likely just grab the one that seems the most compatible from OfficeWorks and give it a shot.

The Ubiquiti Picostation requires Ethernet, so it's out.

A yagi is also out, as the modem has a fixed antenna.

Premium Member
    Thanks

draytek vigor ap-700, i installed one at work that links over 200m to the nearest access point in universal repeater mode.

• The Following User Says Thank You to crazy For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (21-11-13)

Thanks

So let me begin with weirdo I really like you gif! That is one of the best I have seen in a long time!

Now to go with the post why not just buy a new router with a better range and be done with it? You could sell the router they are using now to go towards a new one and then problem solved. I personally am not a fan of adding attachments to routers, I find they never work as well as I want them to.

Thanks

Default Re: WiFi Range Extender - A cheap option?

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Thanks all. I'll likely just grab the one that seems the most compatible from OfficeWorks and give it a shot.

The Ubiquiti Picostation requires Ethernet, so it's out.

A yagi is also out, as the modem has a fixed antenna.
    Picostation on requires Ethernet for initial setup

Thanks

I thought the pocostation required ethernet for power. If that's not the case then it certainly becomes a possibility.

A new router is one option, but it would need to be a new modem/router and that would be more than the cost of a cheap add on, with no guarantee it will reach out the back of their places anyway.

Thanks

What's the range of the router they have now? Can it be moved closer to the outside at all? I personally think they will be much happier with just a new router. ALso, just like the attachment it can always be returned if it doesn't suite their needs. Well as long as you get it someone that isn't retarded about returns.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    What's the range of the router they have now? Can it be moved closer to the outside at all? I personally think they will be much happier with just a new router. ALso, just like the attachment it can always be returned if it doesn't suite their needs. Well as long as you get it someone that isn't retarded about returns.
    The router works through the entire house, but not out the back. Probably works 30 metres at the moment, through double brick, but won't make it out the back which is about 50 metres. The modem can't be moved without new cabling, and if they could re-cable it would make it easy for an access point anyway.

I don't see how a new router in the same location would really assist them, as any routers in the same price range as an access point have the same range as above. Plus, as I mentioned, they would need a new modem/router, which increases the price further.

Thanks

# # # # # # # # # #

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

The router works through the entire house, but not out the back. Probably works 30 metres at the moment, through double brick, but won't make it out the back which is about 50 metres. The modem can't be moved without new cabling, and if they could re-cable it would make it easy for an access point anyway.

I don't see how a new router in the same location would really assist them, as any routers in the same price range as an access point have the same range as above. Plus, as I mentioned, they would need a new modem/router, which increases the price further.
    I have had this situation many times.
    You start trying to solve the issue with a WiFi solution, higher dBi antenna, Range Extender etc etc.
    After much frustration in some of my installations where the brick walls are 400 and 500mm thick and solid cored (hence back bone cabling was almost impossible)

1. You can use a Range Extender (i have never used one because of the speed issues)
    or
    2. Use a 600Mps EoP

For me it was a $70 plug in solution and has worked rock solid for over 12 months.
    At the other end of the EoP just add what ever Router/Access Point you want and enjoy FULL coverage in that area.
    (Set up with maximum channel separation, same or different SSID's, fast handover is possible with the correct gear and knowledge)

Have a read here, mine were 600Mps versions of these:

A range extender positioned midway might do in your situation, but i find the solution a flakey one unless i lived there and could fix it if it failed to connect.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-11-13 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks

I use for POE wireless extension.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

My folks need to extend their WiFi access at their place to an outdoor area. I'm looking for a cheap solution for them but don't know enough about WiFi extenders/repeater.

They have a Dynalink/NetComm RTA1025W router, which supports WDS, if that makes any difference.

There is little chance of getting a cable connection, so the repeater/booster would need to be wireless.

Would any of the options under $100 on the following OfficeWorks link work?

Thanks for any help.
    Netgear wnr 3500 n750

Chieflets

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I live on 5 acres, and can take my laptop anywhere in its boundaries, and still connect to my home network.
    I don't have any antennas or the like.
    All I have is my router connected to a TP-LINK 54M TL-WA501G extended range wireless access point.

I am regional, so no interference or the like, so don't know if that makes any difference or not?

It is simply connected up in the lounge room

Good luck

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (25-11-13)

Thanks

An update for those that share any interest
    I an old D-Link DIR600 router, which I had initially ignored because it required a LAN connection to act as a bridge. A bit of searching located the aftermarket firmware produced by a mob called 'dd-wrt' .

Thanks

An update for those that share any interest

I an old D-Link DIR600 router, which I had initially ignored because it required a LAN connection to act as a bridge. A bit of searching located the free aftermarket firmware produced by a mob called 'dd-wrt'.

The firmware has a couple of minor bugs, but it allows the router to run as a repeater bridge AP, which is exactly what I wanted. I installed it near the back of the folks place over the weekend and it works a treat.

Might be a consideration for those looking for a similar solution - the DIR600's can be had for about $20, or 'dd-wrt' works on a number of other models.

Thanks to all those who posted solutions.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (25-11-13)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast