Thread: XP hard disk will not boot

Thanks

Angry XP hard disk will not boot

I have a xp disk with a operating system that will not boot. I have mounted it as a slave in another XP system. I can see some of the file structure but cannot copy the files as I do not have permission. How can you change permissions so I can retrieve my files? Especially want my thunderbird mail files.
    I have tried chkdsk and the recovery mode to try and restore the disk
    Last edited by iannic52; 23-11-13 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added info

Look Here ->
    Thanks

get a copy of Active File Recovery or get back data
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

iannic52 (23-11-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

you could try going into safe mode & maybe it will work better
    or right click the folders & change the permissions
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diavalo13666 View Post
    get a copy of Active File Recovery or get back data
    I am trying active file recovery but the my documents folder still need the permissions to be changed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iannic52 View Post
    I am trying active file recovery but the my documents folder still need the permissions to be changed

???????

when you start the program you then select the drive you want it to inspect
    once done it will show you a list of what is found and you can then just select
    and save to what ever location you want.

at no point is there a need to rename when recovering
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

did you try booting either of them in safe mode?
    or even system restore on the non booter
    would be quicker then file recovery
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

All you need to do is take ownership of the folders on the disk, then give your self full read/write to the folders.

if your worried about the life of the disc (ie you might only get 1 or 2 reads of the data) clone the drive using ghost (bootcd) then do the above on the cloned disc.

There is NO need to use any of these above listed programs.

Thanks

just to elaborate a bit more, YOU MUST TAKE OWNERSHIP of the folders before trying to change permissions.

You can do it via GUI or CLI

Thanks

TO take ownership in Windows XP pro or home:

Prerequisites

Log on as an administrator
    You must be logged on to Windows as an administrator in order to change security permissions for a file or a folder. If the computer is your personal computer, you are likely already logged on with an administrator account. If the computer is part of a network at work, you might have to ask the system administrator for help. To verify that you are logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Start Windows XP Home Edition in safe mode
    If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has administrative rights in order to access the Security tab. Access to the Security tab is required in order to change security permission. If you are running Windows XP Professional, you do not have to start the computer in safe mode. For more information about how to start Windows XP in safe mode, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
    Disable Simple File Sharing in Windows XP Professional
    If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File Sharing when it is not joined to a domain. For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
    To take ownership of a file or a folder

How to take ownership of a file
    You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the file by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1.Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4.In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.
    To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:1.Click Add.
    2.In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
    3.Click OK.
    4.In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
    5.When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
    6.You can now access the file.

How to take ownership of a folder
    You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps: 1.Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4.In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    5.Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
    All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

(C&P)

• The Following User Says Thank You to renames For This Useful Post:

iannic52 (23-11-13)

Thanks

I have been able to boot into safe mode on the crook disk and by the looks can now get to my files.Still have to work out how to copy files somewhere. However I do not understand why windows recovery does not work to get back the normal system.
    Last edited by iannic52; 23-11-13 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iannic52 View Post
    I have been able to boot into safe mode on the crook disk and by the looks can now get to my files. However I do not understand why windows recovery does not work to get back the normal system.
    It's a very limited tool, more the likely your problem is outside the scope of problems it can fix,

Although I'm unsure on your technical ability so it possible that your doing something wrong, but it should be pretty straight forward if indeed it's going to fix it.

In all my technical life I've only seen it fix mbr faults and that's it