Thread: WIN 8.1 Upgrade driver issues.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default WIN 8.1 Upgrade driver issues.

Well, I thought upgrading to Win 8.1 from 8 on a relatively new PC build would be simple & it appeared to be at first.

Then my integrated MoBo Via HDVDeck sound card needed resetting to get sound output to work right, no big deal.

Canon Printer needed a new driver to get bidirectional communication to work. Again no big deal.

Now I find that when I went to use the line-in & microphone jacks, that none of them will connect.
    Tried various settings & troubleshooting. Tried to use device manager to update driver, says I have the latest. Not so, it's wrong.
    Went to VIA website, they have drivers, however which one? They suggest best place is MoBo website.

Went to MoBo manufacturer website, Gigabyte, put in MoBo model, go to support & downloads for drivers, select OS - Win 8.1, new driver available dated 21/10/13.
    Interesting; it's more than double the size of the driver listed for Win8 that I currently have installed??

So Windows 8.1 is not just a simple upgrade when it comes to functionality of third party drivers.
    It's a good thing the hardware manufacturers have driver support or you just wouldn't bother upgrading.

Wonder what I'll have to fix next?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I was actually surprised that hardware needed new drivers for 8.1.. Non the less a lot of hardware does..

I've seen system fail to boot after a win 8.1 update needing new drivers for just about everything... Makes you wonder how much of the kernel was changed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

funny though, a guy give me a as new lappy that bsod after he ran the 8.1 update (he didn't mean to)
    but when i put win 7 on it, bugger all worked
    so i put 8.1 straight on it & it worked out perfect.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Well, I just loaded the Audio driver listed for Win8.1 on the gigabyte website & it turned out to be the wrong config for the hardware. Caused more problems. Checked & double checked MoBo model numbers & Rev no. & it should be the right driver, tried rolling back the driver, that totally f###ed it, so thru a tantrum & reloaded the original old Win 8 driver off the MoBo driver installation disc & everything is working correctly again. For the moment.

So it looks like the Upgrade of Win8 to 8.1 just messes up the drivers & they only need reinstalling, not necessarily updating, to fix. In my case anyway.

Can confirm the Canon printer driver that I installed for Win8.1 has the same revision number as the old one for Win8, just a different date. Hmmmm.

I remember when I upgraded one of my old PC from Win 98 to Xp, I had similar problems & said I'd never upgrade OS again. History repeats.

I thought 8.1 was more like a service pack for Win8, however it's more like a new OS. Yeah which is what a service pack is as well I guess.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

whats that saying?
    less is more
    or if its not broken, dont fix it lol
    i love the hp support site
    where you find the exact model but you get 3 different hardware drivers for the wireless lan?
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Dell is more or less the same. Key in the specific identifier for the machine, get taken to the download page... which contains LAN drivers for every single variant of that model of machine.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    whats that saying?
    less is more
    or if its not broken, dont fix it lol
    Well, what I'm trying to say is if you treat the upgrade the same as you would a clean installation.
    Reinstall all peripheral & third party drivers after the upgrade, you may save finding problems further down the track that cause much time wasting.

You have to install them with a clean install of Win 8.1 anyway. The only difference with the upgrade is you don't have to reinstall all your programs & files.
    Cheers, Tiny

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Reinstall all peripheral & third party drivers after the upgrade, you may save finding problems further down the track that cause much time wasting.
    Recently bought a Lenovo G505s with Windows 8 Core. First thing of all things I did was running Windows Updater, which installed 78 updates - note that the laptop was assembled/configured by Lenovo at 8/11/2013.

After reading this thread here and to see whether the same can be said for me, means whether the drivers for my Lenovo that with an upgrade to Windows 8.1 Core would come with from Microsoft would work or not, I visited Lenovo online and found that there are a lot of new updates to drivers that are associated with the Windows 8.1 Core. For me that's reason enough not to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Core in the near future.

Only thing I made, to be on the safe side, is to download the Windows 8.1 Core ISO from Microsoft - not via the usual Windows Store method, of course - which now is in the drawer.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 05-01-14 at 02:04 AM.