Thread: BluRay Burning Tips.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Cool BluRay Burning Tips.

Hi All, I've been a long term home movie editor & disc burner. For myself & other people, so I've seen a lot of different formats.
    Been editing 1080HD & burning to DVD & BD for a year or so.

Here is a couple of things I've learned that may help the newbie or the experienced video editor.

When you have edited a project & intend to burn to BD (BluRay Disc);

1; Check what the original video footage format is. Older HD cameras may have either Mpeg-2 or H.264. Most newer cameras are H.264.
    This will be determined by the settings on the HD video camera for the compression rate.
    It can usually be read from the properties of the file on your PC
    Info that may be important;
    Mpeg2, Mpeg-4AVC/H.264 AVCHD.
    Data rate/bit rate; 17Mbps or 24Mbps or ?
    File extension; .MTS, .m2ts, .mkv, or ?
    PAL or NTSC (some video editing software will warn you of this)
    1080 or 720 or ?
    P (progressive)
    i (interlaced)
    Frames per second, 24, 25, 50 or 60 or?

2; Once you know the above, it is best to select a compatible setting in your Burn/editing program.
    The reason for this is for example; if you have H.264 video & burn it to BD as Mpeg2, which is possible, the results may not be what you're expecting when viewing on some BluRay players or TV screens.
    I've tested this & noticed that on the PC the playback looks excellent, however on a Panasonic BlueRay player thru 46" Sony TV the footage is slightly jerky, although watchable & may not be noticed by some. Gets worse with more movement as in sport.
    Exact same project burned as H.264 is perfect on both.
    Did some research on this & most video editors say the same, match the burn format to the original footage where possible.

3; If you are just processing the video for Hard drive storage or upload to web, it doesn't seem to matter, however the more you compress to a smaller file size, the lower the quality of playback. That should be obvious.
    Then if you want to burn that video to Disc; the end product will suffer the same as tip#2 & a bit depending on how much you have changed/converted the video.

4; If you have a small amount of video in H.264, you can burn it to DVD if it fits, as AVCHD DVD format.
    Saves using your expensive BD discs when not necessary.
    Again don't change or compress the original footage where possible.
    The end result is the same as burning to BD. Picture perfect.
    It can be played back in most BluRay players.
    Will not playback in DVD drives or players, however if you extract the files from the DVD using a PC they can be viewed without a BD Drive using a media player with the right codecs, like VLC.

5; All this will probably be irrelevant in the near future when flash card prices match BD storage prices.
    That's when burners will become a thing of the past.
    A lot of people already store their HD video's on HDD for playback on other devices.
    Then there's 4k, 8k & who knows what in the future.

Any more tips & comments welcome.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

adams (28-12-13),allover (31-12-13),weirdo (23-12-13)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

My favorite burner app for all Windows is
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 31-12-13 at 07:29 PM.