Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is worse of the big three? Windows ME, Windows Vista or Windows 8

Thanks

Default Which is worse of the big three? Windows ME, Windows Vista or Windows 8

I think Vista was pretty atrocious and generally a bad OS.. even bill gates implied that in an interview that he didn't like it.

What about the rest of you?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Windows ME wasn't the best and the reason for most bypassing it.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Vista by a mile.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

ME. Very poor hardware support which resulted in stupid numbers of random BSODs. Vista was bloaty, slow and had its issues but it was at least usable in comparison to Munted Edition.

Thanks

I think Vista was the worst.

Windows ME was actually a pretty solid 98 based OS once you removed the crap, there was a third party patch that removed, System Restore, System File Protection, and I think Media Player 7, it run sweet after that. No matter what I tweaked/removed/changed on Vista, it was still a slow pig of an OS.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Default Which is worse of the big three? Windows ME, Windows Vista or Windows 8

Ahhh...all worthy contenders indeed! My least favourite was vista...I tried it on about 3 separate occasions and just could not hack that bloated piece of crap. Windows 8 with classic shell is on the net book I recently got and has survived so far but I still prefer win 7 out of all the windows editions and XP a close second behind that.

Sent from my iPad using

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (28-01-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,921 Times in 1,282 Posts

Windoze 7 is what vista should have been.

You cant go past XP though.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Here a ranking (dates from March 31, 2013) cut off from . Base were the product pages of Amazon.com, where thousands of Windows upgraders in the past six years have left ratings (on the familiar scale of 1 to 5 stars) and detailed feedback about their purchase.

You are surprised?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That does not show results for ME. ME is the only OS that has had the dubious honour of lasting on one of my machines for less than a day! Vista, at least, lasted about a month before I returned to XP. BTW, I went from W95 to W2000 then to XP, nothing wrong with 98, it just did not do anything that much better than W95. I tried ME, went back to 95, then tried W2K with which I stayed until XP was released. Tried Vista and found more issues, so went back to XP until W7. FWIW I still have machines running XP with little, or no, maintenance issues.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

WinME was fairly stable as long as you only installed the standard software on it. Same goes for all Windows.

If you wanted something beyond the norm it was always a PITA to get things running. No difference today.
    WinME was the first time I experienced really fast impressive 3D Video performance with the Star Wars Racer game, even on an Aldi Laptop I bought in 2000. THAT LAPTOP STILL WORKS TODAY with WinME and was bundled with rather useful software, although I only switch it on once or twice a year to see if it still works
    I used it a lot back then and can not remember any BSODs. but dare you ran WinME on a random Desktop. It would never shut down and the forced power downs would eat up critical files on the hard drive.

Vista was really ugly flawed. I consider it the worst product from Microsoft.

They make good mice though
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Till yesterday I had a HP laptop running Vista Home Premium 32-Bit (NT 6.0). This laptop died after 6 years everday-extensive-use due to a harddisk crash. I replaced it with a Lenovo laptop running Windows 8 64-bit (NT 6.2).
    Can report I never had any issues with Vista. Will see how Windows 8 does futurely.

What I will say: As you can see Windows 8 simply is only a revised Vista means same kernel version NT 6, as this is/was Windows 7 (NT 6.1) too. Windows ME was DOS, starting with XP (NT 5.1) the NT-line became standard in the Windows world.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

actually nomeat, there still mouse even in plural, ? i dont know why
    me was the 1st read graphical os, but geez it was buggy
    joey, why not just put a new hard drive in it?
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

VISTA is lightyears ahead of ME. ME took 98se and turned it into a hideous abomination. Even Microsoft couldn't wait to kill it. It only just survived being culled in favour of XP by the fact that it had essentially been completed. VISTA's biggest issue were the absolutely terrible drivers that shipped with it. I tried VISTA on my home PC and the ATI driver that shipped with it was so bad that 4 out of 5 times it couldn't complete installing without the driver causing a BSOD.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 04-01-14 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks

There is not doubt that Vista is the worst. For those who used it remember the continuous crashing, a lot bugs and so much disappointments. I would want to use it again. There is no need to include Windows 8 as it has mixed reactions. Those using mobile and touch devices love it but those using traditional PCs hate it.

Thanks

I personally think Windows Vista is the worst of the three you have mentioned. I remember my computer would freeze a lot and got very slow when it ran Window Vista, which I thought the operating system caused it. I didn't really like Windows Vista because I always had problems with the operating system, which when I downloaded a few software, my computer would get extremely slow and it lagged all the time.

Thanks

Vista by a country mile & ME is a close second.

It was because of ME that forced me to go the NT path and jumped straight to Windows 2000 & then onto XP shortly after it came out & eventually Windows 7 which I'm still using to this very day.

Thanks

An old thread and lots of Vista haters, but ME is the worst possible of the three (IMHO).

It looked like Windows 2000 but had the (in)stability of 95/98. One of the most pointless OS releases ever. At least Vista can be improved if you turn off the slow indexing feature, under the bonent it's NT.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

ME was 98 just re-badged.. 'Millennium Edition'.

Banned

Thanks

Every distribution since XP has been crap and each one gets worse, hence the reason I now use linux. The best since Xp according to people I talk to is Win7 and even that is awful.

Thanks

Vista may not be that crash hot, but it unfairly cops a lot of crap due to the spectacularly bad video drivers from AMD/ATI that shipped with it. I remember attempting to install Vista on my PC that had a Radeon 2400HD in it. Often it wouldn't even complete installing before the video driver tanked and caused a BSOD.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast