Thread: Installing Win 8.1 WITHOUT a product key. (Working)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default Installing Win 8.1 WITHOUT a product key. (Working)

Today I spent most of the day trying to figure out how to install Windows 8.1 WITHOUT a product key.

After a bit of head scratching and comparing files to my other install disks I noticed that Windows 8 does not have an ei.cfg file - So I thought.... Hmmm, I wonder...

Just to prove to you guys that I'm not a complete idiot as some would like to think I'm going to tell you how to make your install disk/usb install Windows 8.1 without a product key.

No more mucking around with dodgy keys.

Simple, it takes 2 minutes work....
    Use notepad or any other text editor and create a file called ei.cfg.

The contents of this file are as follows:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]
    Save the file and copy it to your install usb/Dvd sources folder.

You can now install windows WITHOUT entering a product key.
    After the 2nd re-boot during install it will ask you for a product key BUT you can SKIP this step by clicking on the SKIP button.

After Windows installs you can then Activate before the 30 days or whatever is up by using your legit Windows 8 key.

Enjoy.

You'll still need to get the Win 8.1 files by using the method in jwoegerbaues thread - I haven't found an easier way yet.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

best4less (05-01-14),efab (06-01-14),JasonC (07-01-14),kevin1341 (11-01-14),mickstv (05-01-14),OSIRUS (05-01-14),Seymour Butts (07-01-14),tristen (06-01-14)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

im stupid too
    i just used a pre activated & change the serial number?
    the bottom line now is you cant buy cheap legit serials anyway unless you had one before
    so you either buy a real copy, or use a hacked one
    its pretty simple
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

TOOL: Windows 8 Product Key Viewer

If Windows is pre-installed or the DVD cover of your Windows installation is lost. No reason to panic, because the "Windows 8 Product Key Viewer" reads quickly and directly your Windows key.
    The functionality of the tool is limited unfortunately only on the Windows key.

To read the windows product key you simply run the "Windows 8 Product Key Viewer". The key is displayed in a simple window. The only option is to copy the key to the Clipboard.

Note: Even if the program name else suggests, the software also with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 is compatible.

DL:

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I'm going to tell you how to make your install disk/usb install Windows 8.1 without a product key.
    Always keep in mind:

If your Windows 8 machine has UEFI BIOS, then you can't boot from a (common) MBR-disk/usb, such a boot disk/usb must be GPT-formatted !!!

How to convert a MBR-disk/usb to a GPT-disk/usb in detail is described here:

--------------------------

Identifying Your Windows Boot Mode

The most reliable way I know of to identify your boot mode (BIOS or (U)EFI) is to examine your partitions. Microsoft has tied use of the GUID Partition Table (GPT) to EFI booting. If you've booted from a GPT disk, then you must be using EFI, and if you've booted from a Master Boot Record (MBR) disk, you must have booted in BIOS mode. Therefore, you can check your partition table type as a proxy for your boot mode. To do this, follow these steps:

(BTW: This method is valid for Windows 7 and/or Windows 8)

. Open the Control Panel.
    . Click System and Security.
    . Click Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions under Administrative Tools. The Disk Management window should open.
    . Right-click on Disk 0 on the left side of the bottom pane of the window. A context menu should appear.
    . Click Properties in the context menu. A Properties dialog box should open.
    . Select the Volumes tab.

If the Partition Style item identifies the partition table type GUID Partition Table (GPT), then boot mode is (U)EFI.

-----------------------------

Might also be of interest:

UEFI is an extension to the initial BIOS system, i.e. BIOS is same but the firmware (non user modifiable software) is updated to support new features. UEFI is such an update that allow "middleware"/an intermediate software to troubleshoot Windows and even with hardware, in case of any issues, peacefully; BIOS is not different from UEFI. To make it simple, BIOS is the hardware part and and UEFI is the software part. As far as Windows 7 and/or Windows 8 works fine, don't modify the BIOS as it may cause failure of BIOS; failure may result in replacement of motherboard.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 06-01-14 at 05:24 AM.

Administrator

Thanks

Just a correction about the 30 day activation - It seems Microsoft has nuked the grace period with Win 8/8.1

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-01-14)

Administrator

Thanks

The problem with the Media Center key has been solved.

The free MC key, the one which was given away free when Microsoft was having their promotion will not activate this way.
    If you upgrade through the store your free MC key will work - but if your doing a fresh install of Win 8.1 you need to buy a $10 MC key as the free one won't work.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (10-01-14),mickstv (10-01-14),tristen (11-01-14)

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't tested this with a modified install as you have done, but I would hazard a guess that the reason you couldn't activate the fresh install of 8.1 with the free win 8 media center key, is it's an upgrade key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
    change "MediaBootInstall" from 1 to 0

Open a command prompt with administrator privileges and run "slmgr /rearm"

Then try and reactivate with the MC key, it should work then.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave001 For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (10-01-14),tristen (11-01-14),WhiteOx (11-01-14)

Administrator

Thanks

Thanks mate but I just shelled out $10 for another key since my daughters key worked.
    I must've installed 8.1 at least a dozen times over the last few days trying to get the free one to work, I got jack of it and bought another one.

But I can confirm that you can activate Windows as many times as you like though.