Thread: Should Nintendo stop producing Wii U units?

Thanks

Default Should Nintendo stop producing Wii U units?

Let's face it - the Wii U is leaps and bounds behind Xbox One and PS4. It could never catch up, no matter what Nintendo does. Because of this, there are a lot of reports that Nintendo is losing money from the Wii U units that it produces. Though the entity still has enough in its tank to last for years even if encountering losses, should Nintendo just pull the plug to prevent further losses? Should Nintendo just make another console that could rival that of Sony's and Microsoft's?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marky Zuckbergy For This Useful Post:

ertcrueystewa (19-05-14),esbardneymarku (29-04-14),ncruthirdsshare (20-05-14),raedemarkshant (26-04-14),remildredjerm (06-05-14),towingtonisma (15-05-14),uahaleuamorg (19-05-14),yogleyarma (11-05-14)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Nintendo will never have the same market as Microsoft or Sony. What Nintendo does have, is a "niche" market. They have several; highly popular franchises, that people consistently purchase. Nintendo is more geared towards the family audience as well, something Microsoft and Sony can't claim.

I'm not sure what the solution is. If they are indeed loosing money, they will eventually crumble. Perhaps Nintendo could make a next generation system, that rivals both the Xbox One and PS4. They would have to take care, in order to prevent loosing the family market. Maybe they could produce just as many family games, but also expand into the adult gaming market.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Ennis For This Useful Post:

ertcrueystewa (19-05-14),esbardneymarku (29-04-14),ncruthirdsshare (20-05-14),raedemarkshant (26-04-14),remildredjerm (06-05-14),towingtonisma (15-05-14),uahaleuamorg (19-05-14),yogleyarma (11-05-14)

Thanks

I think Nintendo should stop making the Nintendo Wii for sure. It was kind of big at first, but they'll never be able to compete with Microsoft or Sony. They need to think of a new concept. It can be done. I'd love to see Nintendo on top once again, I hate Microsoft, they're trying to take the whole planet over!

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nowicki2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I agree nowicki; Microsoft has to go. Thankfully, the have another multi-billion dollar company competing with them (Sony). Nintendo simply does not have the financial power to compete with either of them. Even if they did put out a new system; that was equal in power, Microsoft and Sony will simply up the stakes.

Honestly, I think we will see a change in the market soon. Nintendo will go down the same path as Sega; producing only games. We'll see Mario and Metroid on the Xbox and Playstation. This will allow Nintendo to continue making money, and continue putting our favorite franchises into the market.

Thanks

Not at all. Nintendo's problem with the Wii U is that it was marketed horrifically. I've had many conversations with people who don't even realise the Wii U is a new console - they just thought it was a new controller for the Wii! Release a Pokemon game or two, market it like mad and the Wii U will be up there with the best of them.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nealbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's a good point nealbo. To be honest with you, I knew nothing about the Wii U until I started reading about it on forums. The release date was poorly promoted, and I have no idea what games are available. Maybe Nintendo just needs to learn from Microsoft and Sony: hype up everything.

Thanks

I think Nintendo shouldn't stop producing WiiU. They just need to think something big, something outside of the box that can compete with Microsoft and Sony. I have a WiiU, and I have it because i'm waiting for the new super smash bros to come out. They need to make better games for the WiiU first before they can compete with the other systems.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tolkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I dont think Nintendo will ever try to compete with Sony and MS, they have their niche market and hand helds.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to loanrangiel For This Useful Post:

ertcrueystewa (19-05-14),esbardneymarku (29-04-14),ncruthirdsshare (20-05-14),raedemarkshant (26-04-14),remildredjerm (06-05-14),uahaleuamorg (19-05-14),yogleyarma (11-05-14)

Thanks

I think it's more likely that Microsoft stops making consoles than Nintendo.
    Microsoft is in direct competition with Sony and losing badly, whereas Nintendo has it's own market as doesn't really directly compete with the others.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oakster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Should Nintendo stop producing Wii U units?

Quote Originally Posted by nealbo View Post
    Not at all. Nintendo's problem with the Wii U is that it was marketed horrifically. I've had many conversations with people who don't even realise the Wii U is a new console - they just thought it was a new controller for the Wii! Release a Pokemon game or two, market it like mad and the Wii U will be up there with the best of them.
    Agreed, in the USA the Wii U was marketed horribly. After watching the commercials, I had more questions about the system than before I watched the commercials.

Microsoft is doing the best job marketing their Xbox one. The commercials actually show what the system is capable is doing.

Marketing can make or break a products success. Nintendo failed miserably at marketing their latest game system.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to motoguru For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motoguru View Post
    Agreed, in the USA the Wii U was marketed horribly. After watching the commercials, I had more questions about the system than before I watched the commercials.

Microsoft is doing the best job marketing their Xbox one. The commercials actually show what the system is capable is doing.

Marketing can make or break a products success. Nintendo failed miserably at marketing their latest game system.
    I wonder if it has to do with how marketing is handled in Japan as opposed to the rest of the world (crazy and insane ads).
    Maybe Nintendo just needs to understand the Western market better.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oakster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs down Worst Money I've Ever Spent

I bought the original Wii console for my son and it worked well. Had all of the accessories, etc. Four remotes; the whole nine yards.

When the Wii U was introduced; I thought that would be the next logical step and shelled out a LOT of hard earned money, only to find out that many of my older accessories were no longer compatible in the truest sense. You have to jump through barrels and hoops to get the ones that still work, to work with the Wii U.

My experience has been that the Wii U boots slower, loads games slower, is more prone to locking up, and less forgiving in running "legacy" games. Navigating the function screens is a science all, in and of itself. The total cost of re-tooling to the Wii U? Around $500.00 USD. Biggest waste of money in my life.

The actual concept would be great if the system were more user friendly. That, and if Nintendo weren't so locked down on compatibility with legacy devices. Don't get me started on battery life! Dismal at best. I spoke with a Nintendo tech rep once and I was informed that rechargeable batteries will void your warranty and damage your equipment. Neveready, and others make rechargeable battery nuggets and even a wireless charging pad that also work poorly, at best. Another waste of money. If these ARE truly incompatible, you'd think that Nintendo would sue to halt their production, or at least readily warn consumers of the warranty void. And, although the ability to play games on the one (and only one allowed!) remote console without tying up your TV, you still have to be in close proximity to the actual console for it to work. It also doesn't allow you to use the legacy remotes except in TV mode, so no competition unless you're in TV mode. Grrrr! I understand the anti-piracy concerns, but this is over the top, in my opinion.

Technical support USED to be easy - even on a Sunday - but not any more. I've tried a number of times over the past several months to reach tech support (regardless of the time or day), only to be greeted by a recording informing me that they were experiencing too heavy of call volume and that I would have to leave my name and contact information for them to return my call and assist. Needless to say; I'm batting 0/5 in them returning my calls.

The "actual" Wii U games are few and far between; not to mention, far more expensive than the original Wii games.

The only redeeming quality that I can speak of regarding the Wii U is that the graphics - particularly in the Wii U games - is heads and shoulders above the original Wii games. That's assuming that you're able to tolerate the system freezing up unexpectedly, the legacy remotes switching off, or changing sync ID's randomly, and the accuracy of the legacy remotes being lackluster.

I have no experience with the other popular gaming consoles, but at this point, I have far too much money invested in the Wii system to afford to switch to what could be an even worse or more difficult to use system. It appears that I'm pretty much stuck.

Boooo! Hiss!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The OP hasn't visited this site in 4 months, so perhaps he has finished his market research.