Thread: Asus N61Jv Netbook wireless problem

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Asus N61Jv Netbook wireless problem

I am trying to help my daughter who has this laptop.
    She reports that the wireless function will not work.
    These are the symptoms..

Cannot connect to wireless. Has red x through connection. Have tried toggling the switch on the front to turn on/off, nothing happens. Have tried toggling nf+ F2, nothing happens. Have downloaded a new LAN driver from the Asus web site, but windows won't let me instal it, saying the device driver is ok.In device manager it says the device is working normally. I can connect to the internet ok via ethernet, but not wireless. The task bar icon has a red x through connection, and will not refresh and show my connection, the same as when I also go to control panel/network and sharing/manage wireless network,,,nothing shows. The wireless router is working fine, and the isp,Telstra Bigpond, has diagnosed the router working, and have not been able to get me a connection via wireless, using my computer remotely via the ethernet cable. They say the fault is the computer.
    What other things can I try to do to "wake up" the wireless in the pc

The wireless bars do not show up in the task bar, the wireless bigpond router has red x through it on the basic network information and setup map on the top of the Network and Sharing panel

On the task bar, you have to click a little arrow up button to show the running items, and here can be seen the "radio" tower. When you quickly double click on it, it then also creates a small green tick next to the tower, but that automatically disappears when you look at it again.

I have played around until black/blue via team viewer today, but alas, got zilch.

Would anyone be able to offer some comments on some other actions to attempt it to restart. Everything I have looked at shows the item is enabled, working correctly, driver up to date, but just won't connect.

It is a Thompson bigpond wireless modem ( working fine, as her Xbox is running flawlessly through it), and her operating system is win 7 62 bit.

I also found out she has no system restore enabled on her C drive, so cannot roll back to a later date...something else we will have to overcome when this one is solved
    Thanks

edit

Neglected to say, it is a Atheros AR9285 WiFi Adapter
    Last edited by viewer; 31-01-14 at 04:14 PM. Reason: last bit

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

If I told her to go to device mgr/network adapter/uninstall and then get her to restart the computer, would this force the pc to "look for" the "new"device and install itself again?

Should I maybe get her to disable the device, shut down, restart, and see if the device re-enables itself automatically, and if not, start it and see what happens?

This problem has only surfaced in the last week, and she cannot remember installing anything new, except for a new iTunes edition whilst also synching her new Ipod to the iTunes as well.

Would the above steps give us any additional problems, or would they be safe to attempt and recover from if necessary?

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Update,
    Problem solved.
    I did some research and went to the ASUS site.

Following these instructions, the program mentioned was installed on her pc.
    When running it for the first time (setup.exe) the program asked if we wanted to repair or delete.
    We selected repair, and the program unpacked and ran itself, and immediately requested a restart of the pc
    That done, I went to the radio / wireless icon in the hidden folder in the taskbar.
    This time I was able to double click the icon, and the icon stayed green, and did not disappear.
    I then went to the hidden task bar icons again, and saw the wifi stepped bars ( designating it was working) pop up, and it went from partially greyed out, to then dispaly full signal strength, and all white.
    I checked available networks, and all was there as usual, and we selected the usual bigpond router.
    Bingo, all works.

Yesterday, when we tried to find this program in her program files on the pc, it did not show up anywhere, even in control panel where you can usually find things easily.
    The program was called
    ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility
    ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility for Win7 32/64 Bit

Later, after successfully getting the wireless to work, we easily found this folder that was not there yesterday.

So, here was the instructions I emailed her to try, the shortcut to the Asus site as well for those that may be interested, or have an Asus problem sometime.

I would also like to thank the Austech member who privately contacted me, and answered my concerns on uninstalling the adapter if necessary, and then install it again, if our methods did not work. You know who you are..THANKS

Instruction followed..
    First up, go to this page

In the boxes, set it to Windows 7 64 bit...this is your pc specs

Go to Utilities, scroll down a fair bit to this heading
    ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility
    ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility for Win7 32/64 Bit

It is all the one file. Click the Global icon ( not the DLM one)

Download it, unpack it, and try to run it.

This program attempts via a little software routine, to turn on/off wireless and bluetooth without using the slider switch on the laptop, or by toggling nf + F2 at the same time as an alternative to the button

Try this and see if it fixes your problem.

If that don't work, let's move to the next.