Thread: Network fault on start up

Thanks

Default Network fault on start up

Hi all,

I have just recently started having this issue.

My PC is directly cabled to my modem via a switch, after start up, my Network 4 icon on the bottom right of the screen says I'm connected to the internet and even when I go into Network and Sharing Center, it says I'm connected to the internet, however when i open a browser it times out.

Using CMD prompt i've tried pinging my modem but just times out, it takes about 2 - 3 minutes before the internet will connect and i can ping the modem.

During the 2 - 3 minutes of "black out" i can still connect to the modem via other devices, iphone, ipad etc so i know the modem is still on line, all my networking lights on my switch and modem flash, so there's no data drop there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Look Here ->

Thanks

If you power the "modem" (I assume it's an ADSL modem + router + DHCP server) on at the same time as everything else, your PC might be having problems getting an IP address via DHCP.

Next time, do an "ipconfig" at the command prompt and write down the IPv4 address. Wait until everything starts working, then do another ipconfig and write it down again. You'll probably find it starts out with a weird address, then suddenly goes over to a 192.168.0.x address once the DHCP server in the modem is working.

Possible solutions: turn the modem and switch on a minute or two before the PC or give the PC a static IP address. The other devices might work because they are more persistent in trying to get a DHCP lease quickly.
    Last edited by shred; 01-02-14 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Readability / paragraphs

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

AdRock (02-02-14)

Thanks

Hi Shred,

Thanks for the reply, the switch and modem (and you assumed correctly) are always powered on. It's the PC that i turn on/off as required.

I'll do those checks anyway and see what i get.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

A power refresh of the modem might be all you need. My Computers that are wired all work fine but, every now and then I need to restart the modem to "convince" all of my wireless devices that they can, actually, connect to the internet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

AdRock (05-02-14)