Thread: Is there any way you block the IP address?

Thanks

Default Is there any way you block the IP address?

I have a few friends who are able to block their IP address from someone's trying to hack into the computer system. I don't know how easy to block the IP address, but I would like to know if there's a way to block an IP address because I am afraid of someone who's trying to hack into my compute or control my wireless internet network. Do you think there's a way to block an IP address and how easy is it to be done?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

all depends on the router you have and whether it has the option or not.

i use a billion and have done so easily with it but once had an old netgear that did not
    have such options.

My advice is do a google on the modem you are using or even easier read the manual for your modem-router
    Last edited by fandtm666; 04-02-14 at 05:05 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Why not ask your friends how they have blocked their IP address?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pandandesign View Post
    I have a few friends who are able to block their IP address from someone's trying to hack into the computer system. I don't know how easy to block the IP address, but I would like to know if there's a way to block an IP address because I am afraid of someone who's trying to hack into my compute or control my wireless internet network. Do you think there's a way to block an IP address and how easy is it to be done?
    You simply add the hacker's IP / URL to your PC's HOSTS file. Use the wellknown freeware to accomplish this task. I currently have blocked 375,000+ IPs, included some Google services ...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

If you think he is trying to hack into you VIA the wireless modem / Router

I would go into your wireless settings and change your SID and then un-tick the box " Broadcast SSID "

That should make things a bit more hard for him
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Another way is to use "black hole routing". Nearly all routers let you manually add a specific route for an IP or range of IPs... If you add a route for the IP that you want blocked and specify a non existent gateway address for the route (like, I dunno, some IP that doesn't exist on your network: "10.1.2.3"), then the router will effectively block the IP.

[EDIT: just re-read the OP's request. Maybe you mean blocking a specific WiFi MAC address?]
    Last edited by shred; 05-02-14 at 02:14 AM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

If your computer is a laptop (means a mobile one) and not a desktop PC, then it probably doesn't make any sense at all to change settings on a local router, as adviced above. Think about.

Thanks

if they are trying to access your wireless network, you need to password protect your wireless so that outside people can't access it without the password
    also change the factory password on the modem and as best4less said, untick broadcast SSID

Thanks

Default Re: Is there any way you block the IP address?

If someone is genuinely hacking your wireless then turning the broadcast off won't do anything, plenty of software and apps around to show hidden ssids

Thanks

The are a bunch of proxy servers all over the internet. Onion routers seem to be the new rage, with search engines like Tor. The problem is, the NSA is starting to break into the system via the exit routers. I'm sure the underground; government watchdogs in Australia, are doing the same.

Thanks

Easy , just filter the mac addresses , depending on what modem you have ?? not too hard , its a second layer of defence , even if someone gets your key they wont get passed the mac filtering.

Thanks

Getting someones key is childs play thats the easy part , just need too stay one step ahead ie mac filtering , even if they change there mac address just go the other way and put allowable mac addresses , any mac address thats not in the list gets the flick.

Thanks

But the MAC address is sent over the air unencrypted (yes, even with WPA2 or whatever encryption you are using) and it's easy for an intruder to change their MAC address so their client has the same MAC address as one that is on the allowed list. Admittedly, it's one more hurdle for them to overcome, but it's one of the easiest to get around.

If someone really wants to get in to your wireless network, there is not much you can do, except perhaps have some fun with them. I particularly liked the efforts of this guy:

He created a squid transparent proxy, so freeloaders on his WiFi connection find all the images on web pages either upside-down or blurred and out of focus. I'd love to do something like this - think of the Internet access thief taking his computer in for repair, because all the web pages are blurry. :- )

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (25-02-14),red dwarf (19-06-14),tristen (26-02-14)

Thanks

Yes your right shred spot on however i think this guy is dealing with a hacker wanna be , a good hacker comes and goes and walks between the rain drops , no one see's him and he covers his tracks pretty well , mac address filtering is just one line of defense , another layer so too speak , the more you can throw at them the better , at the very least you will slow them down a little make them work harder.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I like it shred, appeals to my sense of the absurd.