Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BULLSHIT alarm.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Default BULLSHIT alarm.

I have an in built bullshit alarm in my head. It goes off from time to time unexpectedly.
    So I was looking through some legitimate sites when the link to this one caught my eye.
    Within seconds my bullshit alarm was going off.

I couldn't help but laugh. But then I began to wonder. What bullshit products etc would make somebody like James Randi laugh ?
    I haven't seen him smile for a long time.
    Though I reckon these two other guys make him laugh sometimes.

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (25-02-14),OSIRUS (24-03-16),Rick (22-03-16),Surething (19-02-14)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Yep, my bullshit alarm went of in the first paragraph then I read the following in the second paragraph & my alarm is still going off.

Exposure to this natural source radiation has been proven to reduce cancers by 30% plus the natural radiation improves immunity, arthritis and has a balancing effect on the immune system that sometimes stops allergies.
    It's funny though 70's disco beads for healing.

All those people with false teeth as in crowns should be healed as well. As a dental technician I used porcelain with small amounts of radioactive material (depleted uranium) in it to make teeth, as it simulates the florescence of natural teeth in low light conditions such as disco's using UV lights.
    That will confuse some people or have them all worried.
    Last edited by Tiny; 19-02-14 at 09:11 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Surething (19-02-14)

Thanks

It's surprising that some ppl don't actually have a bullshit alarm [i call mine a BS meter, same thing really]. The proof of that statement is in the very fact that such establishments even exist to sell 'healing beads/magic waters/tin-foil hats/twice blessed trouser-leg ferrets/wotever else crazy thing' to the sick and desperate. Either the guys that run these places are totally deluded because they experienced an unlikely spontaneous remission/cure or the placebo effect when they used those things themselves, or, more likely, they are unprincipled, heartless, scumbag scam artists out for a quick buck [Peter Foster lives, Hallelujah he LIVES!]. Actually, maybe i'm being too harsh. I once experienced a near-miracle myself. I wanted to prove that a horse could go without water. Everything was going well until the bloody thing up and died on me! Rotten luck.

PS & OT: So you're a fang-farrier Tiny. As a Dental Hygienist in another life I had a bit to do with Dental Techs [called 'em Dental Mechanics decades ago] & Dentists. Ever tilted the molars in intentionally on a full upper and lower job for someone you didn't like so they'd bite their tongue?
    Last edited by Surething; 19-02-14 at 01:26 PM. Reason: 'r' & 'n' confusion.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Here in Australia those beads should glow like beacons as it is recognised we have the highest levels of UV rays of any where in the world, for proof see the rate of Melanoma Cancers per Capita compared to other countries.

As far as I am aware, Melanoma Cancers are caused by exposure to the UV rays from the Sun and this crowd want you to wear beads allegedly emanating more of the same, I think NOT !!!

As far as my miniscule knowledge about 'Radiation' goes is that it has to taken in very small doses and constant exposure is definitely not recommended.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

That's why those little crystals that people like to lick sell so well.

Thanks

Yes, they're twisting the truth Gordon.
    Low doses of radiation are harmless. There is a threshold below which an exposure does not appear to make any difference.
    It is "suspected" that some radiation is required or is beneficial but there is no evidence to support this any more than there is to support the claim that it is harmful.

The claim that these beads emit radiation is bullshit and the claim that the absorb or protect against any form of radiation is also bullshit.
    While UV levels are higher in Australia than the rest of the world, this is usually because of our mostly sunny weather.
    The higher incidence of melanoma is more because of our mostly European background (and compounded by where we live).

Some more bullshit. Magnetic pillows and mattresses. How do people believe that shit ?

In the past couple of years I've seen items like this one too.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    snip..

Some more bullshit. Magnetic pillows and mattresses. How do people believe that shit ?

In the past couple of years I've seen items like this one too.
    Another oldie but a goodie.

If only the Wood fire users had enough intelligence to know how to complete the above miraculous tasks by using the intake & exhaust adjustments correctly & using well seasoned wood.

I live off the grid & use wood fires to heat, cook & produce hot water, have never had to manually clean my flues in 20 years. Still have to remove ash from ash collectors, great for the garden.
    Any carbon or creosote build up burns off at the right flue temperature, producing gas instead of a solid residual buildup, that's the trick.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Out of curiosity, Tiny, what is your favourite fuel? i.e. wood. i.e. Which gives you the best heat, which burns the longest (the two may not necessarily be the same). I'm still a greenhorn at wood fires having lived in the tropics for half of my life and am still learning what burns best.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

@ Isemmens; wood, have 25 acres of it on the property. Use combination of Eucalyptus - (hardwood, burns slow & hot) & Silver wattle - (softwood, burns fast & hotter)

back on topic

My bullshit alarm went off again yesterday when my neighbor told me that the power of mobile phone microwave emissions could cook popcorn.

Quickly debunked that one.

Last edited by Tiny; 20-02-14 at 09:35 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I too have had both wood and coal fires nearly all my life and know 'Green' wood and unseasoned Pine can gum up a chimney and increase the risk of a fire inside it.
    A neighbour used offcuts from a local sawmill that only cut green pine and after a season, had to clean out the brick chimney from the pine residue so after that the offcuts were left to season for 12 months before using them.
    Poor grade coal is renown for building up soot which itself become a fire hazard over time.
    At work we had a Cast Iron semi enclosed heater (not slow combustion) with a 125 mm (5 inch) gal chimney and to shake the soot out caused by the crap coal we had to use, we either banged on the chimney or, when no one was looking, used one or 2 Track signaling detonators wired back to back, shoved to the back of the chimney 'T' piece, put the lid on and stood back waiting for the bang and the cloud of soot.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'd forgotten about those signaling detonators, IIRC they were used for that task quite often back in the "good ole days".

Thanks

The Dermawand appeared on my TV tonight and my bullshit alarm went to DEFCON3.

My slow combustion heater will take anything that burns.
    I've done some experiments with all kinds of fuel, even pine.
    Of course slow combustion runs well with a good wood fuel. I have no shortage of good friends with lots of dead trees that fall on fences etc.
    I have used cheap an nasty pine. I find it works just ok and doesn't cause much problems with the chimney. I clean my chimney each year so I get a good idea what has happened during winter the year before.
    In some cases I've had a bit of fun deliberately causing chimney fires and bashing creosote out of the chimney.
    If you do use pine, run it at a higher temperature and it doesn't leave a deposit. Disadvantage of course is that you don't get good efficiency out of the wood.

Coal is a ripper. I use the biggest bricks I can get else I make up my own from compressed coal powder. Open the vents and let it rip.
    If it gets too hot, then I slow it down. I also have some peanut coal. It burns damn hot so I have to slow it down by closing them.
    I've tried running coal and wood together, but trying to run coal slow combustion doesn't work well.

I've got an old K-tel combsta brick maker. Wow.. the bullshit alarm has gone to defcon-5 five on this one. Issuing me a caution
    We'll see how well it works this winter. I had a nice big bucket of cardboard I was soaking over xmas. It was soaking a bit too long and the smell of fermenting cardboard is rather disturbing.
    The bricks I made from that batch are of an interesting quality. I'll be keen to see how they burn.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Dermawand? that's been around for 100 years or something.

Some ppl only THINK they are sick, so this faith healing, charms, etc can actually work to think their 'illness' away. Then there are a lot of (bad)actors that demonstrate how 'good' this stuff works.

I should get fancy looking charms from Alibaba and build in little UV-LEDs, learn how to write even more BS than I already do and then sell them for $300-400 on Ebay... but I am always too lazy to proceed with my ideas... so if any body feels industrious, go for it. Get famous, finally a product made in Australia (well partially but better than nothing).
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 21-02-14 at 11:30 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Some more bullshit I found on the weekend .... this one is funny.

I was asked to check this pendant for a "bad aura" ... yeah don't laugh too hard, this is a common thing crystal healing hippies ask me to do from time to time and I'm happy to do it.
    But this pendant surprised me, it really is radioactive. But the story behind why it is radioactive is even more funny.
    "Apparently" these devices work so well at sucking up energy like fallout from Fukushima that they collect radioactivity and you should replace your pendant every couple of years in case it gets too radioactive.
    At $100 a pop.... I got to get in on this scam!

And then somebody showed me this .....

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

That Quantum stuff is well known. My wife and some of her friends (Filipinas) came home some years ago with bracelets and pendants to try out after a 'picnic' in the park.
    The sellers wanted $200-300 so I looked up Ebay and as I suspected, found identical and even better looking quantum charms for $20-30 mainly from UK sellers.
    So she told her friends and I ordered a bunch for her and a few of her best friends and made everybody happy (except the dodgy sellers).

The dark coloured pendants are indeed slightly radioactive. I assume purposely in order to display on 'special equipment' their 'powers'.
    My Chernobyl era pocket counter responds about 2-3 times higher than background radiation but I have to remove the gamma plate and it almost has to touch the tubes so pretty sure I am picking up beta.
    They are made from some volcanic material in Japan, maybe not far from Fukushima

...and never argue with Filipinos about faith healing. If I were to be competing with those pricy sellers in the Philippines, that would end with my certain death.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-03-16 at 12:00 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Hehehe.... I love it.

It's very interesting that you mention the beta/gamma observation Nomeat.
    This was one of the things I did try to identify particular isotopes etc.
    The beta/gamma ratio on the one in the photo was 5 times more beta than gamma.
    Which is actually a bit funny because it's the kind of thing I might expect from nuclear waste. Just on a much bigger scale.
    It's a shame I didn't have an alpha counter or an MCA. That would really help confirm it.

I was discussing it with Bluedog the other day and we were trying to work out where they might source something with that kind of emission.
    Strontium 90 would be one of my first guesses, but for the effort you would think they could just scrape up some dirt in the area of Fukushima and then come it into their pendants.

But if they're sourcing it somewhere else, it would be interesting to know what they're using and where they get it from. (and the isotopes in it).

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

My Bullshit Alarm goes nuts whenever I read about audiophile products such as $2000 power cords to give cleaner electricity to your amp for a purer sound.

"
    Every audiophile who has experimented with better power cables has heard the performance advantage they offer. Indeed, the amount of improvement can be astounding, often transforming a system from good to amazing."

Last edited by mandc; 24-03-16 at 07:50 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (09-03-18)

Thanks

My personal favourite is the sports drinks which claim to "hydrate" you faster than water. Last I checked you need water to "hydrate" yourself, and most people in the population don't drink enough of it.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That's classic.

But wait there's more, they have a portable penergizer. BS Alarm went off the scale when I read about it.

Penergizers are portable Grander technology in a pen-like design that you can carry with you anywhere. The Penergizer is the perfect size for your purse or pocket. Take the benefits of energized water wherever you go! Enjoy the improved flavor of juice, coffee, tea, wine, milk and other beverages. Delight your friends with the improvement!

The Penergizer contains Grander Information Water and is made from the highest-grade chromium steel. It transfers these beneficial Grander frequencies to any liquid you wish to treat just by being placed in the liquid or beside the container.
    - Revitalize any beverage – water, coffee, milk, tea, juice, or wine
    - Grander in a perfect size for purse or pocket

- Bring the benefits of Grander with you wherever you go!
    Last edited by Tiny; 25-03-16 at 08:55 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast