Thread: Mypolaris HUD GPS device.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Mypolaris HUD GPS device.

Sitting in the doctors rooms the other day reading an issue of the NRMA's Open Road, I saw an advertisement for a Mypolaris HUD devices at $129 and I wondered if anyone has one or similar?
    I have a Uniden 201 thats now a few years old that is basically a 'Speed Reader' with a few other alerts added but every now and again on Start up it cant lock onto the Satellites for up to 10 minutes so I have been looking for something to replace it just for 'Speed' only should it die completely one day and I wondering what others thought of it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 01-05-14 at 10:46 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (03-05-14)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

I'm wondering who needs such a speedometer.

People should be a little careful with this one – the tint patch may be in contravention of window tinting laws. In general, you can't apply film to the front windscreen of a vehicle, with the exception of the anti-glare strip at the top of the windscreen.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 01-05-14 at 04:45 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Premium Member

Thanks

The reason one uses these is because most Cars speedometers are not accurate and if you have different size tyres as in diameter or profile on a car, this can change your speedo reading too.
    I found using TWO GPS devices that I was traveling at 96KPH when the speedo was indicating 100KPH.
    You might say this is excellent because your UNDER the general speed limit of 100 kph but on a long journey, this can add an appreciable amount of time to that journey.
    I am not suggesting you sit on the Maximum on every road but on a major multi lane Highway in a modern car why cant you travel at that speed if the conditions and your ability allows it?
    I also find it hard to read my speedo partly because of its placement in the Dash, in school areas where 40kph applies and some places have suburban street speeds that vary from 50 to 80 KPH.
    My Uniden sits to my left of the steering wheel on the Dash and has a red dot matrix display that in almost all light situations, it is very easy to read.
    There have been reports of the Police being very pedantic about being as little as ONE kilometre an hour over the posted limit which no device of any sort can prevent happening but at least you have tried.

As for the strip, its placement certainly requires careful consideration but until recently, we were allowed to place Registration stickers on the windscreen along with an assortment of Parking Permits or even a 'Bulls Eye' crack in the glass so long as its not going to obstruct the Drivers line of sight.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

As you know your speed is 4 kmh under the speed limit, why do you need a separate speedometer ? I tested our car when I bought it and its 2 under. I drive accordingly.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Premium Member

Thanks

I am sure you do but because most of my driving is on a Main Highway where I have both 100 and 110 KPH limits to reach either of my 2 main towns, one 20k and the other 60K away, providing conditions are suitable, I come up to speed and engage Cruise Control.
    Before anyone jumps on my use of Cruise control, I find it more able to adjust to the variations in altitude here in the Mountains where from my house to anywhere varies between 100 and 400 metres and is overall more economical in fuel using it.

Both my Uniden and Cruise must work because I have passed Fixed and Mobile Speed cameras and the Point to Point equipment showing the speed limit on the display.

And NO, I dont use Cruise when there is heavy rain, Winds, Snow or down to Minus 9C during winter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I am not quite sure what cruise control has to do with it ? Most of my driving is in a 100k zone, I also use CC and set it accordingly knowing there is a 2kmh variation.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    As you know your speed is 4 kmh under the speed limit, why do you need a separate speedometer ? I tested our car when I bought it and its 2 under. I drive accordingly.
    The rolling diameter of a brand-new tyre inflated to 35 psi would be quite a lot larger than the same tyre once worn bald and with only 20 psi in it, I don't know the actual figures but if your speedo reads 2 km/h slow on new tyres then it will probably read several km/h fast by the time those same tyres are worn out?

This alone is a good argument for these GPS-sourced speedos, which are obviously not affected by any external factors like tyre wear.

Vehicle manufacturers deliberately setup new car speedos to show faster than actual speed, I guess this is to cover their ass in case someone decided to sue them after being booked (or worse after a crash). A friend bought a Toyota Echo brand new and complained from the start that despite sitting bang-on 100 km/h, every other vehicle on the road (including trucks) was piling up behind her like a rolling traffic jam, I went for a ride with two GPS units and both confirm she was actually doing 89 when the speedo read 100. It took a month of arguing with the dealer before they reluctantly had the speedo re-calibrated and it still came back reading a couple of km/h fast!

Andrew

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (03-05-14),Tiny (02-05-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

Some years ago before Radials were all the go, a Bro-in-Law had new tyres fitted to his car, an early Datsun and shortly after their fitting, he was stopped by the Police as they said he was over the speed limit but he was adamant he wasnt because he was if anything a bloody slow coach.
    The copper apparently spotted the new tyres and because the Bro-in-Law had the receipt with him, they worked out that these tyres lowered his speedo reading from the cars actual speed so he wasnt booked.