Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is this the start of the end of penalty rates?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Is this the start of the end of penalty rates?

I did not know that this had happened until I read this in our local newspaper..

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

certainly the beginning of the end .

for FFS , whos side is the Fair Work Commission on anyway ? not the worker. next step will be working weekends at normal rates.

its hard enough for the worker who is forced to work every Sunday , at least the 75% loading makes up for that a bit. now whats the point of working Sundays , you may as well spend time with the family.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

What is the difference?
    Do Police get more for working a Sunday, NO.
    It shouldn't even be there in the first place, only places pressure on business's, no wonder a meal and drink on a Sunday cost so frigging much. And why places are so understaffed.

Its also no wonder people get put in a Managers Role, so they can work them weekends at no extra cost. Either that or the owners come in, just so they dont have to pay through the ass for staff on weekends.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-05-14 at 05:58 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Explained clearly for those who cannot understand.

"This is, and was, never about ripping penalty rates away from workers. It's about finding the middle ground to make it financially possible for owners of businesses to continue to trade on Sundays, as opposed to closing their doors because of their wage bill."

So its a option to earn something extra or the place can stay shut for the day and you earn nothing.

I remember in the early 90's working a whole Saturday and Sunday for just $160 extra in my pay because of the taxes involved......and i did it because i needed the money, we were a single income family.

I didnt have to, it was my choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    What is the difference?
    Do Police get more for working a Sunday, NO.
    It shouldn't even be there in the first place, only places pressure on business's, no wonder a meal and drink on a Sunday cost so frigging much. And why places are so understaffed.

Its also no wonder people get put in a Managers Role, so they can work them weekends at no extra cost. Either that or the owners come in, just so they dont have to pay through the ass for staff on weekends.

They get half prices Maccas or even free at some stores , then even get doughnuts and coffee funded by the public oink oink here and oink oink there ......

Look he is not ashamed to eat while trying to nab drivers

So it ok for everything to go up in the cost of living and our wages to go even lower to the point where crime will increase like bag snatching , shop lifting etc

Chieflets
    Last edited by Chieflets; 22-05-14 at 06:23 PM.
    It's amazing how 2 people could be one on forums, must be identity theft cough cough 

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think that is different Godzilla, you have already done your 38 hour week, this is purely about the rates on a Sunday, even if it is the only day of the week you work.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

It's amazing how 2 people could be one on forums, must be identity theft cough cough 

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Well tells you how little i know, i was not aware that if you work Sundays there are penalty rates.

So if you work Sunday to Thursday, you get penalty rates for the Sunday?

Or is it just casual workers?

Does not apply to me, no ones casual here and i work 7 days a week, 16 hours + a day with no time and a half, loading and sick leave.....evenings and weekends its just me and the Mrs slogging it out.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mate, you dont even get a hand job anymore

Yeah, Sats and Sun's, it kills it for Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs etc, many of friends owned them or managed them, keeping ya wages % in check is hard when you pay double, yet the same amount of customers walk in.
    Hence why they would work it themselves for no pay, just to save money.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-05-14 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

if you can afford millions for a pub then you can afford to pay the penalty rates

half these publicans own more than one pub Chieflets
    Last edited by Chieflets; 22-05-14 at 06:44 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Chieflets For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (22-05-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Pubs, if you have been asleep for the last 10 years, are a very dieing industry.

You'll see more bankrupt or Pub owners that walked away with loss in the last 10 years than at any other time.

Wages, Drinking habbits (0.05, hence all the new bottle shops) have killed pubs. The only Pubs that make money these days are pubs that moved into food in a big way...
    Anyone whom had a pub that "just" making money 10 years ago, got slaughtered.

Food is where the smart money is.
    And thats the point Chief, they cant afford Millions for a Pub, just ask the Collingwood Football Club

Sure, some are good operators that have owned the pub for years, and have seriously increased meals...
    But you show me a Pub that just serves beer and bar meals and i'll show you a pub that on its last legs.

You metro Pubs can do ok, but you add Penalty Rates to a regional or small country pub.... pfft, its a killer.

When you say, if they can afford 30Mil for a Pub, thats just the problem, not many can and the Banks aren't that interested the Pub sector either.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-05-14 at 09:37 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (22-05-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    certainly the beginning of the end .

for FFS , whos side is the Fair Work Commission on anyway ? not the worker. next step will be working weekends at normal rates.

its hard enough for the worker who is forced to work every Sunday , at least the 75% loading makes up for that a bit. now whats the point of working Sundays , you may as well spend time with the family.
    1. I thought the "Fair Work Commission" was supposed to be there for both sides of an industrial argument, not just the worker.

2. Who is "forced" to work Sundays? I was under the impression that slavery was illegal.

I worked shift work for over 30 years and received penalty rates. I was not forced to.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (22-05-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Pubs, if you have been asleep for the last 10 years, are a very dieing industry.

You'll see more bankrupt or Pub owners that walked away with loss in the last 10 years than at any other time.

Wages, Drinking habbits (0.05, hence all the new bottle shops) have killed pubs. The only Pubs that make money these days are pubs that moved into food in a big way...
    Anyone whom had a pub that "just" making money 10 years ago, got slaughtered.

Food is where the money the smart money is.
    And thats the point Chief, they cant afford Millions for a Pub, just ask the Collingwood Football Club

Sure, some are good operators that have owned the pub for years, and have seriously increased meals...
    But you sure me a Pub that just serves beer and bar meals and i'll show you a pub that on its last legs.

You metro Pubs can do ok, but you add Penalty Rates to a regional or small country pub.... pfft, its a killer.
    Pub never maid there money from selling drinks not when buying a pub for 30 million dollars its all from the pokies that's why you can be fool swear and all but when your playing pokies you will not be touched and even get free drinks while if you were doing the same and not playing the pokies out the door you have had too many to drink hmmmm double standards

they should close more pubs down and make it less temping to gamble away

Bring back the old days with bands and lesser pokies

maybe they should bring back the old rules no women or kids allowed

I think most pubs get greedy with there 6 dollar schonners
    Last edited by Chieflets; 22-05-14 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks

also what shit me is all these business cry wolf , but yet they seem to make millions in profit.

same for maccas they cried when they were forced to give the lowest income worked 50 cent pay rise, that they would not make any money yet they have taken away the free meal if you work more than 4 hours saying its for for health reason bulls**t you think about it say it cost them $2.00 for meal, times that who knows how many workers they have say 1 million , that's 2 million dollars per day saving by not give worker free meal like the old day times that by 1 week 14 million , times that by a year well how much more have the fat cats profited

Chieflets
    Last edited by Chieflets; 22-05-14 at 07:32 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

$2 Pots in the place i drink, a small club, no pokies, and just a small number of us.... Sadly it only opens for 3hours on a Sunday because of penalty rates.

I'm hearing you about the big gaming venues tho! When a friend and guy i worked for went to buy the Matthew Flinders in Melb 16 years ago, it was 35Mil..... Farrr out.
    He has since become one of the Australian Pub Barons to go belly up big time, left Victoria never to return.....
    As you say, the big players can absorb it, but what about all the Mum and Dad run family business's???
    The small funky places that only have 8 tables, the hamburger joint in a coastal town, etc etc

Pubs, how much money do they make again?

Its an old industry, even the Banks dont support them.
    Just one of many many similar stories country wide... Sure, its not like Penalty Rates caused it, but it never helped.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-05-14 at 07:41 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    1. I thought the "Fair Work Commission" was supposed to be there for both sides of an industrial argument, not just the worker.

2. Who is "forced" to work Sundays? I was under the impression that slavery was illegal.

I worked shift work for over 30 years and received penalty rates. I was not forced to.
    Exactly...also applies to those that say " I work 7 days a week, 16 hours + a day with no time and a half, loading and sick leave".....no one is forcing you to.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I see 2 different arguments here.

1. Those that have already worked 38/40hrs and are asked to work more (yep, pay them extra, but not all what the article is about))
    2. Those that just work Sat and Sun (Fark em, why are they special?)

In saying that, a lot of Business are dropping the half day Saturday because of the cost.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-05-14 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Exactly...also applies to those that say " I work 7 days a week, 16 hours + a day with no time and a half, loading and sick leave".....no one is forcing you to.
    most families would not live without the penalty rates hence them working 7 days a week 16 hours a day which is illegal by the way, people have no choice but to do those hours to pay the morgagae put bread and butter on the table possibly have some enjoyment while breaking there back.

modern day slaves we are

JustMe

Thanks

ffs sake even politicians were extending there parliament meeting to over 12 o clock to get the meal bonus if the leader of our country cannot do the right thing how do you expect lower income worker to follow it?

JustMe

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I see penalty rates as a bonus for working at times when people would normally be with their family and friends or for doing shifts that others don't want to do.
    Why would one want to work on a weekend otherwise???

I also find it difficult to find that middle ground where how much a salary earner should work above and beyond their stated hours. What is a 'reasonable' amount???

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast