Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Is this the start of the end of penalty rates?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Enf, this is Shorten's reaction to the penalty rate decision:

At least some sort of compensation, lets see if it really happens.

While Turnbull fully supports the wage cuts and just keeps playing the same old record that it will boost economy and jobs, even though anybody with some common sense sees that it can not, other than boosting profits mainly for the 'majors'.

As I am against wage cuts, I know who's side I am on and if Labor pulls it through or at least tried very hard, then they have earned their Gummi Bears.
    If they don't and it was just a bit of mumbling, then booooh to them.

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Politicians and nappies have one thing in common:

They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOL, so you do agree with another change.
    We should be in a Guiness book by now. Statistically some group must get it right eventually.

The problem is the apathy of most voters, if that is what you ment before:

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    They are all a bunch of trough sucking pigs because they are allowed to be by you.... and me....
    Up here people vote nationals. They always have and they always will, no matter how good the ideas of the independant were.
    As long as voters allow themselves to get brainwashed that our ony problem are refugees and those who rort Centerlink, then politicians don't have to do anything any more because they got that already sorted.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-02-17 at 12:29 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Time was when everything opened at 9, closed at 5 except weekends where the shops opened at 9 and closed at midday on Saturdays. We all had to live with that and the rest of the weekend was for R&R. Many people went to Church on Sunday. Women, generally were, typically, the home makers and did not work. So all went well, Penalty rates were introduced to compensate people for their absence from the family (loosely) because it was expected the outside of those hours you would be with your family.

These days, Sundays, and Sat afternoons are expected to be treated by the populous just like any other day. Not many people attend Church, so a "day of rest" - as per religious tenets is no longer expected. In other words, people expect the same access to goods and services on any day of the week. If they want that convenience, then, they should be prepared to accept some inconvenience, too. I understand the necessity to work long hours to make ends meet, but, these days, there should be no penalties paid, or expected for the first 40 hours of any working week, regardless of which day it falls on. I also believe that a married couple should be allowed to income split to encourage one party to remain home and "home make". We already have issues of not enough jobs to go around and the government is forcing people (who otherwise, for valid reasons, would not) to look for work.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (27-02-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I also believe that a married couple should be allowed to income split to encourage one party to remain home and "home make". We already have issues of not enough jobs to go around and the government is forcing people (who otherwise, for valid reasons, would not) to look for work.
    Stay at home parent, not paying tax? Your kidding right?
    Probably considered a crime these days.

But seriously, those days are long gone with our out-of-control housing cost: that devil in pretty much evey problem we have these days.
    Because quite a few got rich on real estate speculation, today's young mums and dads both have to work flat out to afford life, at least if they want to live where there is actually work, or move away where it is cheaper and live on the dole.... or boomerang back to their oldies.

I personally think that children who were brought up with a parent who was there for them all the time, would be less likely to become drug addicts, car hoons, gang members and party crazy.
    If they are brought up from earliest age in a day care centre and only see their parents a few hours a week(busy on weekend shifts too), then why would they ever bother to listen to their parents, because they are mostly brought up by their peers.

I KNOW I am pretty much alone with those thoughts, because society demands that both parents work and their kids have proper jobs when they are 14y/o (screw time for homework).
    I have experienced quite a few rude comments because my wife is a stay at home parent, why she doesn't work, what is wrong with her, why doesn't she have an own car, etc !!!

They way I see things if this all keeps up, the working class WILL die out because it is best they don't have kids and everybody (who is not full rich) will have to live on some sort of (Government) support and breed out of boredom.

...but I am sure housing will burst and everything will change before that, first for the worse before it eventually gets better and maybe one day we will have single parent incomes and self sustainable life forms again.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (01-03-17),irritant (27-02-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks

My wife stayed home with our kids, and one of my Daughter in Laws stays home, and wants to, despite government agencies forcing her to look for work. My Daughter would happily stay home, too, but, as has been observed, finances have forced her back in

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

...despite government agencies forcing her to look for work...
    What?!?!?!

So you can't be a stay at home mom and raise your children how you want?

As an aside, I would love for my future wife to stay at home and not have to work. I fully agree with the sentiments expressed earlier by others - this letting a daycare raise your children business is not good at all, although I can understand the pressures parents face, both having to work and what not.

Which makes one think - has the world really reached such a stage of "progress" that the poor parents of children can't even have time to be the primary people/caregivers in the childrens' lives?

How much more are we willing to sacrifice, as the human race, for our seeming "progress"? It's truly worrying.

People sleeping only 3-4 hours a night, both parents working all day not being with children, household debt going through the roof just to afford things, and so on and so on. Maybe the world is expecting too many people to bite off more than they can chew.
    Last edited by irritant; 28-02-17 at 06:59 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

LSemmens
    Thanks

It's even worse than taht. Child care in some areas is so overcrowded that, even if mum did find work, there would be no-where to place the kids anyway.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (01-03-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

I wish they would do this with all the loiterers hanging around on our street corners here, just looking to get up to mischief all day (and all night) long.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

It's even worse than taht. Child care in some areas is so overcrowded that, even if mum did find work, there would be no-where to place the kids anyway.
    I have a solution: Open up a child care facility at home.

Stay at home parent earning big bucks

LSemmens
    Thanks

I have a solution: Open up a child care facility at home.
    There are/were facilities such as these, some way better than others. Mostly very average. I think govt regulation had put paid to many of these resources, though. It's one area where there needs to be regulation, too. Otherwise any paedophile could open a child care centre. Just because you can breed, does not, automatically make you a good carer, either.

• Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678