Thread: Internet problem after Windows updates

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Default Internet problem after Windows updates

A few weeks ago my troubles started after doing the usual updates and fixes offered.
    I noticed that at times it seems that clicking on a link or updating a website causes a freeze somewhere.
    Since it happens with Firefox, Chrome and Green browser I have to think it is more related to Windows or the internet settings (which have not changed).
    99% of times all is just fine but when it happens it can take up to 2 minutes before any browser reacts by actually bringing the data on the screen.
    Now there have been a few more updates but they did not fix the problem.
    My system is heavily secured, so blocker, antivirus and filters are in use.
    They have been in use in the same configuration for ages why I like to rule them out as the cause.
    My ISP is not always the best in terms of speed so I already tried different DNS servers to no avail.
    Downloads, P2P or streaming is not affected in any way.
    To make things worse now some websites are basically unuasable if they have forms and and buttons to click.
    During my tests I used the PSO recruitment website and their only apply form.
    The first stage always works fine but clickng on the proceed button does nothing at all, leaving me stuck.
    Same story for online banking, which at the moment I can only do over my mobile.
    Tried updating Java and all the other crap we need for the internet these days and all tests come back fine and confirm it is working.

I would like to find the root of my problem but am running out of ideas now.
    Of course a fresh and clean install of the whole system should fix all but at this stage I'm reluctant to do so.
    There is too much software and stuff I need installed and the last new setup took me over a week to get all back to where it was.
    Is there a simply monitoring tool that I could run in the background and check the logs once the "freezing" happens?
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

What OS version are you running?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I'd fly though my various browsers and clear all caches and reset the various settings to default (using their "default" buttons) and see if that cures it. I had a system that had been bogged down with a heap of nasties that displayed similar issues once cleaned up. Clearing the cache and resetting to defaults solved that one.

Thanks

That was one of the first things I tried, cache, history and all.
    I could understand if it would happen all the time, but most of the day it is simply fine.
    When it come it lasts for about 10-15 min with the mentioned delays and problems, after that all is fast again.
    An ongoing problem I can locate but finding the source of this is driving me nuts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

tried a system restore yet?

Thanks

Just checked it but my stupi Windows say the last restore point is about 2 years old, no idea what happened to the one that should be created before every official update
    But now I had the same "freeze" on my mobile as well.
    First time though but same symptoms, since Android does not have much in common with Windows I start to think that either something is stuffed with my router or that my ISP is playing up again.
    Will see if I can borrow a different router to test before I contact the useless tech support to check my connection.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Default Internet problem after Windows updates

Have you updated flash ?

Thanks

I think flash was updated automatically too lately, not sure if a complete updated or just fixes though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Is there a simply monitoring tool that I could run in the background and check the logs once the "freezing" happens?

Check the Event Viewer. If any service, process or application has crashed the details will be in there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

admin (27-05-14)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Maybe you should do a restore point now, to see if your system is creating same?

I had that problem with Win 7 a while ago, dunno why it did, but after manually setting one, it has not missed once again.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am going to make a stupid suggestion and say change your DATE/TIME/Region settings as I had to do recently when Firefox decided that Youtube was NOT a 'Trusted site'.
    I have NOT touched any of those settings since I bought the computer 2 years ago and the last time it changed itself was when 'Daylight Savings' changed in early April.
    There was also a suggestion that Cet8.db for Firefox had screwed up and was causing a problem so I am wondering when Windows has done its 'Update's' so who knows what goes on when 'Updates' occur.

To sort out my problem, I went back a few days for the date, picked another 'Time Zone' and time of Day, did a restart and then went and put all the settings back to suit my Now time, did another restart and when when all was done, checked Youtube to see the site open up as normal.
    This may or may not work for your but it will keep you occupied for awhile instead of looking for that 'Bigger Hammer'....
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

When trying to create arestore point Windows freezes, so there is definately soething wrong that needs to be cleaned up.
    Had a long talk to tech support (after waiting for an hour to get a ticket for level1 support....
    They are running something now for 3 days to check if there are instability problems with my line.
    At the moment I'm running a different router too, so if the support finds nothing and get no problems till friday I would say my old router was stuffed.

Thanks

Got an Email from my ISP stating the line are completed and some adjustments have been made.
    Sadly they did not specify what they did but it seems my internet is running now without the delays.
    Will keep an eye on during the next week but hopefully it is solved now.