Thread: Separation of power and data - Wiring Rules

Thanks

Default Separation of power and data - Wiring Rules

I'll put this one out there for some comments..... We're about to install a structured data network for a retrofit. Almost all of the walls are partition or concrete, so cabling will be mostly surface work. The sparky is happy to put in all of the duct work from the ceiling cavity down to the mounting blocks whilst he does so for power. We will rough in, terminate and test all data points (as the registered cabling provider). He has suggested using segregated duct. From a compliance perspective, I don't have an issue there as there is a physical barrier (albeit a useless 2mm plastic one) between power and data shared in the segregated duct.

My conundrum - when power and data exit the bottom of the duct, there will have to be a small overlap as one passes behind the other behind the first mounting block (if positioned side by side). I'm being purposely finicky with compliance, but interested if any other registered cablers out there can suggest a good solution. We normally run all of our own duct or conduit, but in this case it makes sense for him to install them whilst he is doing so for the power. If the mounting blocks are not placed either side of the bottom of the duct, either power or data will have to crossover in the first mounting block. Your best practice ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

James

Look Here ->
    Thanks

glue a small piece of plastic between the two, or a small piece of flex.
    Last edited by vnboost; 22-06-14 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vnboost View Post
    glue a small piece of plastic between the two, or a small piece of flex.
    Thanks vnboost, however that will only work if the data and power outlets are placed either side of the bottom of the duct. The customer wants outlets close to the corner of the room, which would mean duct has to be set in and run down the wall around 200mm from the corner which is unsightly. Our sparky will want to run his duct down the corner of each room and thus the issue - duct down the corner and two outlets (1 x power, 1 x data) side by side with duct running into the top of the first. Once power and data exit the bottom of the duct, either the power or data has to cross behind the first outlet inside its mounting block to get to the mounting block next to it. It's pedantic, but I know other cablers must have addressed this issue and technically power or data running through the other's enclosure or mounting block is against the wiring rules. There has to be a 150mm separation at the termination point or hard insulating barrier. Segregated duct is made for a reason, so there must be a logical solution.....

Thanks

tough one, i have never had to deal with that type of install before, personally if i cant achieve the required separation or be able to put an insulating barrier in between i wouldn't touch the job.

• The Following User Says Thank You to vnboost For This Useful Post:

tristen (22-06-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Back, last century, prior to Cabling licensing etc, we just had to ensure adequate separation from power. You could cross over at right angles using a conduit or the like but the big no-no was running the stuff closely in parallel to mains cable i.e not in the same channel. (I'm only talking telephony here, and I was responsible for acceptance testing on new buildings). Haven't been near it since the 1980s, though. You should be able to cross power with little difficulty provided some decent form of separation is used (conduit, or the like). I'm not sure what the rules are now. The main reason for isolating long parallel runs wasn't so much the electrickery, but the induction hum caused on the line, data was especially sensitive to it back then.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Run your own trunking solution.
    Do not use Split Ducting.
    Keep 200mm away.

Segregated Ducting is made for a reason, for AS3000.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 23-06-14 at 06:14 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I also prefer not using anything that results in close parallel runs of power & data/signal, for inductive-interference reasons.

In your situation, instead of mounting the outlets side by side, mount them one on top of the other.

That way cables can exit the ducting from the side without crossing each other.

Eg: the top outlet takes the cable from the closest side of the ducting, whilst the cable in the other side of the ducting continues down the ducting then crosses below the first cable for the second outlet, maintaining the 50mm separation.

If your client must have outlets laid out horizontally, then install them in segregated skirting. This method would maintain the mandatory separation.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (24-06-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Clients soon get over Visual cabling, when their PoS systems don't talk to each other.
    You as a Data Contractor will also save yourself future fault finding visits at No Expense to the Client, but to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Is dedicated Wifi an option?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Run your own trunking solution.
    Do not use Split Ducting.
    Keep 200mm away.

Segregated Ducting is made for a reason, for AS3000.
    Hey Oceanboy, yep this is pretty much where I got to with it. Ultimately their desire for aesthetics will have to be outweighed with protection of our data network from induction of EMI and compliance with regs. Spoke to the sparky today and we're going to put in separate duct work for our cabling. All just too tight and as I originally said, the 2mm internal plastic barrier in internal duct will do nothing more than appease the regs but won't protect our cabling.

Thanks everyone for their 2c worth.

Cheers

James

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

It appears we just confirmed what you already decided was best.