Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 9 - Threshold Preview

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    A lot of people buy new cars every couple of years....in Australia. New cars have never been as affordable as what they are now...we own a 4 year old car and I am kicking myself for not upgrading it at 2 years. But back to computers........

Does anyone think Microsoft would have any market share left if they still had Windows XP as there number 1 operating system ?

Or Apple if the iPhone never updated to a newer model ? You must still have a 90's era Nokia phone nomeat if you think as claimed "nothing much really has improved".
    Well if I could get a brand new Jeep for 10k at the local dealer and 3k trade in for my 17 year old SUV then I might consider.

If I get Windows 9 for 15 bucks like for Windows 8, I will probably still get it and end up having it lying around unused somewhere. I can't help collecting junk, bit obsessed.

Since XP not a great deal has improved/changed in Windows operating systems other than the user interface and matching OS to today's hardware but unless I am a hardcore gamer I see no real reason to upgrade every two years.

I was not talking about smart phones as they didn't even exist in the 90's, at least for the humble consumer.

In the last 3-4 years I find smart phones have stagnated.
    iPhones will undergo a great change though. I have heard they might increase the screen by about 0.5 inches.

I use a low price Ebay Chinese clone of the Samsung Note with a 5.5" screen (only dual core of course). It is used daily since two years with out any flaws. Battery still good and came with two batteries.
    The only thing that bothers me is that it does not have a magnetic compass to update the viewing direction when I use the Star Chart app.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-07-14 at 02:56 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Only a side remark: This was the forum-post which the world of Windows users in June put in bright excitement

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/48214-what-we-know-so-far-about-upcoming-windows-8-1-update-3.html#post393232
    OK so this morning I decided to splash out for the media center pack for my original Windows 8 code I purchased for $15 as an upgrade in Dec 2012. Purchasing took a fully patched and up to date system to not being able to activate with some wierd error message about non genuine software that I did not have on my system. So I called M$ and spoke to a helpful rep and he sorted out my issue with the phone activation application. I asked him about Windows 9 and he said it was about a year away but they were being trained on update 2 for August or September time frame which will be served up by the store apparently and it is another 3Gb download. That is what I was told, now whether to believe them I don't know but what the heck would they be doing with a 3Gb download to update the OS?
    Might be one can count on Windows 9 in one year?

------------------------------------

My last 2 cents here:

Probably NOONE here will EVER convince fools like me, who successfully have Windows 8.x up and running, that they do wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

maybe you should ring bill about it?
    just for fun: 2 cents was outed yrs ago
    5 cents only now is the lowest currency
    Last edited by Philquad; 04-07-14 at 08:39 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post

Probably NOONE here will EVER convince fools like me, who successfully have Windows 8.x up and running, that they do wrong.
    OK I will try a bit harder next time
    Viva Windows 9

I don't have 2c either but maybe 0.000031BTC
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Yup, Windows 8 was such a catastrophic flop that Microsoft will be laying off 18,000 workers! 1200+ in Redmond,Wa (corporate HQ for MS)!

It also had a stockholder approved side effect! "The news sent Microsoft's stock up 3 percent in morning trading."

That's a hell of a way to show a profit! Lose your a$$ with a $h!t OS and show a corporate gain by cutting costs with employee layoffs! I wonder if the geniuses who thought up Windows 8 are getting a pink slip!

"Microsoft has floundered in recent years as it tries to shift from a reliance on its declining PC software business to mobile and other categories." This has prompted the massive layoff as well as their decision to trim bloated acquired management waste (the acquisition of Nokia for example!)

So now, for all of you who think Windows 8 is the best thing since crackers, and since practically all computer OEM's in the US took a MAJOR hit with Windows 8, tell me do you really think Windows 8 was a good idea?
    Last edited by cmangle; 18-07-14 at 05:50 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

tristen (18-07-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I actually do think that not much has changed from the days of XP, Windoze 3.11 was the first truly usable shell from M$, as on OS it was followed by 95/98 (Which was basically still a shell), XP was the first truly integrated OS where the GUI was integral in the OS and security in the form of NTFS was substantially improved. From then on, it is just rearranging deck chairs on the Costa Concordia. As a consideration of the motor car analogy, cars have really not changed much since they were first produced. they still have wheels, an engine, some seats, a method for controlling speed and steering. Yes, they are more refined, and user friendly these days, not unlike the Operating systems of today compared with those of early computers. Time was when anyone who owned a car had, also, to know about the mechanical aspect of them and be prepared to "get under the hood", so to speak. How is that any different to Operating Systems of today?

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (19-07-14)

Thanks

I have win 8.1 on an Asus N series i7 laptop, I was horrified at first, but I installed stardock win7 menu and fences for desktop, now it boots to a win 7 screen and start menu, still can click sidebar corners to access PC settings, original win 8 tiles etc. I've had win operating sys since 3.1, and I can honestly say this is the most stable and quickest is I've ever had. I started to move away and installed Linux distros on some of my other machines, and use a Chromebook for general web site cruising, emails etc, but when I need to do dome serious computing, my win7 style win 8.1 with Asus instant resume features is fasdt and stable and I'd like them to just leave it alone now I've modded it.
    If a win 9 comes out it should be free for all win 8 owners, Microsoft is trying to project a new image to get back market dominance, looking after current sw owners will be a good start...me thinks!
    Last edited by stuie Bedubie; 19-07-14 at 02:25 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuie Bedubie For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (19-07-14),TZB (19-07-14)

Thanks

There are heaps of ways to make the Win8 GUI look and behave like Win7.
    I just don't understand why ppl bought Win8 if in the end they want it to be like 7.
    Win7 users tell me their system is stable too.

I managed to crash both 7 and 8 and the constant updates to fix the bugs/security issues when I wanted to switch off the computer just drove me nuts.

Of course I am curious to find out what MS is going to do with Win9 to save the business.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-07-14 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

Windows 8 is in ways more tolerant of buggy USB drivers that's why I'm running 8.1 now instead of 7 even if 8 does have odd performance issues. The USB widget I am using is long discontinued and the drivers haven't been updated for years. Under Windows 7 suspend / hibernate caused a BSOD shortly after resume but under Windows 8.1 it works, but only on USB2 ports. Microsoft's USB3 drivers trigger a BSOD (equates to linux's kernel taint) when the devices are accessed and it's still possible to BSOD the PC by unplugging the widget while it's in use but I can live with those restrictions.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I've been playing with Linux Mint on one of my spare machines, so far it seems to be a windoze killer.

Thanks

A tad off topic but have you worked out a way to set multiple independent wake up events on linux, ala Windows' Task Scheduler, lsemmens? I can directly configure the RTC to wake the machine at a given time easily enough but coordinating multiple events across multiple programs eludes me.

LSemmens
    Thanks

No, haven't tried that yet, been busy trying to learn Free Pascal and Lazarus at the moment and haven't been near that machine for a few days as it is in my office and not in the lounge.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Consider this MicroSoft poster making the rounds internally touting the latest operating system, called Windows 9/Threshold:

This poster describes about the vision Microsoft has for its upcoming Windows 9/Threshold release. It says that the world doesn’t need another operating system, instead it needs a deeply personal, universally human way of operating and deliver things that they can’t even imagine. They acknowledge that getting thee won’t be easy, but that’s why they are at Microsoft.

I like the last tag line, "Because the world needs Windows."

We already know that Microsoft is integrating Cortana inside the next version of Windows and that will make it deeply personal for its users.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12